Velocity Reviews > General Computer Discussion > Hardware > Cannot Ping Local IP address

Cannot Ping Local IP address

madmunk592 madmunk592 is offline
Junior Member

Ok, here is my problem:
I am unable to ping a laptop that is connected to our local network. I goto that laptop and I can ping out and ping loopback address without any problems. I can connect to internet and browse the network drives. I just can not ping the laptop's ip address from either another workstation or admin console.

This happened after this laptop was found to be flooding the network internet connection last week. We found numerous trojans and spyware on this machine and have cleaned them off since then. It was the only machine that could connect to the internet at the time it was flooding the networks internet connection.

We are running windows XP Pro on IBM thinkpad usual stuff 512 MB of ram and intel centrino processor 60 gig hard drive.
Anyone have any suggestions what may be causing this problem?

Thank you in advance all help is appreciated..

phonzie phonzie is offline
Junior Member

Hi MADMUNK592

Have you ever thought of turning "OFF" your "WINDOWS FIREWALL"....

Function path:
START - CONTROL PANEL - WINDOWS FIREFALL

Under the "General" Tab select "OFF (not recommended)"

Click "OK" to save settings, then try to ping again.

OR

If you want to leave the "WINDOWS FIREWALL" active you can make an exception by allowing only your IP Address to ping the system...

Function path:
START - CONTROL PANEL - WINDOWS FIREFALL

Under the "General" Tab, check if the "WINDOWS FIREWALL" is set to
"On (recommended)", make sure that the
"Don't allow exceptions" check box is NOT ticked.

Goto - "Exceptions" Tab

Tick check Box - "UPnP Framework"

Select the "Edit" button

Tick check Box - "TCP 2869"

Select button "Change Scope"

Select radio button "Custom List"

Add your IP Address

Click "OK" to save settings
Continue to click "OK" untill you have left the "WINDOWS FIREWALL" function screens.

I hope this will be a solution for you....

Regards

Phonzie

madmunk592 madmunk592 is offline
Junior Member

Thanks for your help, this has helped. I performed the second option.. I did not want to turn off the firewall..

phonzie phonzie is offline
Junior Member

Any Time....

Cheers

Phonzie

aryajur aryajur is offline
Junior Member

Hello,
I am facing the same problem, I have tried diabling the firewall even adding the exceptions. But it still doesn't respond to the ping. Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

muppydoddle muppydoddle is offline
Junior Member

I had the same problem where I could not ping a particular PC. I found that I had a 3rd party firewall running that was blocking incoming network traffic. In my case, McAfee Security Suite was corrupted and I could not even get to the firewall - so I uninstalled it. After uninstalling McAfee, I was able to ping the PC. I, then, reinstall McAfee and I was still able to ping. Digging into my new McAfee installation, I found, by default, that McAfee "Trusted" the IP range of my local(home) network.

I concluded that, due to the corruption of my orginal McAfee install, the firewall in McAfee was blocking all incoming network traffic.

Hope this helps. I tried posting a replay, yesterday, but did not see it today. I am a new member, so, that may explain it. I hope it doesn't get duplicated.