Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > I want to clear all cookies EXCEPT some ... is it possible?

I want to clear all cookies EXCEPT some ... is it possible?

Z.

Mumia W. wrote:
> On 08/09/2006 01:01 AM, Z. wrote:
>> I'd like to automatically clear all my cookies every time I close FF
>> _except_ for a small set of cookies from some web sites.
>>
>> Is this possible with FF (1.5.0.6)?

> Hint: Click on the "exceptions" button on the cookies tab in the options
> dialog. You can figure out the rest.

<sigh> That doesn't provide the feature I'm seeking. I want *all* sites
to be able to set cookies, I want the cleanup on exit to leave a select
few behind and automatically remove the rest.

gwtc

Z. wrote:
> Mumia W. wrote:
>> On 08/09/2006 01:01 AM, Z. wrote:
>>> I'd like to automatically clear all my cookies every time I close FF
>>> _except_ for a small set of cookies from some web sites.
>>>
>>> Is this possible with FF (1.5.0.6)?

>> Hint: Click on the "exceptions" button on the cookies tab in the
>> options dialog. You can figure out the rest.

> <sigh> That doesn't provide the feature I'm seeking. I want *all* sites
> to be able to set cookies, I want the cleanup on exit to leave a select
> few behind and automatically remove the rest.

then add the ones you want into the Exceptions area. Then set up FF
to remove all the cookies when shutting down except for those.

--
EVERYTHING HAS A GENDER

You may not know this but many nonliving things have a gender...

Ziploc Bags are Male, because they hold everything in, but you can see
right through them.

FoxWolfie Galen

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 08:24:44 -0700, gwtc <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Z. wrote:

> >> Tools, Options, Privacy, Cookies tab, and View Cookies.

> > Ok, then what ... ?

> I told you where to clear them, so clear them.

I think it is not possible to *automatically* clear all cookies except for
some, if you are using just fx 1.5.0.6 without an extension.

You can manually clear selected cookies - which is time-consuming, or you
can automatically delete all cookies. Neither is what the original poster
asked for. It was suggested that the sites he wants to keep could simply be
entered into the exceptions list. This does not work. When "clear cookies
now" is pressed, *all* cookies are deleted, including those in the allowed
exceptions list. He still has to manually delete unwanted cookies. Maybe a
fourth option needs to be added to the exception list. That would be
"keep".

There are very good reasons for wanting to keep some cookies from ever
being deleted. One is the google cookie. I set my preferences to allow all
unfiltered results. If the cookie is killed, then I most go into google
settings each time to tell it not to filter my results. The same situation
is true for other cookies, like TV listings and customized preference
settings with some sites. I certainly don't want to reprogram my channel
line-up every time I want to see what's going to be on TV, and I don't want
to have to re-select readable colors on blog sites that default to
unreadable colors. This is the stuff that permanent cookies are for.

I'm happy to have all other cookies auto-deleted each time I shut down the
browser.

Z.

gwtc wrote:

>>> Hint: Click on the "exceptions" button on the cookies tab in the
>>> options dialog. You can figure out the rest.

>> <sigh> That doesn't provide the feature I'm seeking. I want *all*
>> sites to be able to set cookies, I want the cleanup on exit to leave a
>> select few behind and automatically remove the rest.

> then add the ones you want into the Exceptions area. Then set up FF to
> remove all the cookies when shutting down except for those.

The Exceptions area (Tools > Options > Privacy > Cookies > Exceptions)
says: "You can specify which web sites are always or never allowed to
use cookies. Type the exact address of the site you want tp manage and
then click Block, Allow for Session or Allow."

Unless that documentation is incorrect, creating an exception for a
cookie does not keep it from being deleted automatically on close by
Clear Private Data.

If there is another way, besides using the Clear Private Data tool, to
"set up FF to remove all the cookies when shutting down," then I'll need
you to be more specific.

Mumia W.

On 08/10/2006 10:51 PM, Z. wrote:

> The Exceptions area (Tools > Options > Privacy > Cookies > Exceptions)
> says: "You can specify which web sites are always or never allowed to
> use cookies. Type the exact address of the site you want tp manage and
> then click Block, Allow for Session or Allow."
>
> Unless that documentation is incorrect,

The documentation is incorrect.

> creating an exception for a
> cookie does not keep it from being deleted automatically on close by
> Clear Private Data.
> [...]

Then don't click Clear Private Data. Clear Private Data is not
automatically invoked upon exit.

Why waste several hours arguing with people on the newsgroups
about whether this works or not when you can test it out for
yourself in a few minutes?

I added a website to the exceptions list, visited the site,
examined the resulting cookie, exited Firefox, reloaded
Firefox, and examined the still-surviving cookie in all of
five minutes.

And I do have Fx set to delete cookies upon exit.

Z.

Mumia W. wrote:
>> The Exceptions area (Tools > Options > Privacy > Cookies > Exceptions)
>> says: "You can specify which web sites are always or never allowed to
>> use cookies. Type the exact address of the site you want tp manage and
>> then click Block, Allow for Session or Allow."
>>
>> Unless that documentation is incorrect,

> The documentation is incorrect.
>
>> creating an exception for a
>> cookie does not keep it from being deleted automatically on close by
>> Clear Private Data.
>> [...]

> Then don't click Clear Private Data. Clear Private Data is not
> automatically invoked upon exit.
>
> Why waste several hours arguing with people on the newsgroups about
> whether this works or not when you can test it out for yourself in a few
> minutes?
>
> I added a website to the exceptions list, visited the site, examined the
> resulting cookie, exited Firefox, reloaded Firefox, and examined the
> still-surviving cookie in all of five minutes.
>
> And I do have Fx set to delete cookies upon exit.

Thank you. That worked.