Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > measuring signal from microphone

measuring signal from microphone

superbobm@hotmail.com

I have managed to get a small application to record a sample from the
microphone and save it to file using AudioSystem.write. But I would
like to be able to read some samples from the audio before it is saved
to disk so that I can check whether the microphone is connected
properly and display this to the user. How can this be done?

Thanks

Andrew Thompson

> I have managed to get a small application to record a sample from the
> microphone and save it to file using AudioSystem.write. But I would
> like to be able to read some samples from the audio before it is saved
> to disk so that I can check whether the microphone is connected
> properly and display this to the user. How can this be done?

Why not offer the user an oscilloscope trace?
<http://www.physci.org/test/oscilloscope/>
(The jar is an executable form of AudioTrace.java)

HTH

Andrew T.