Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > console problem on 354XL

console problem on 354XL

Christian Lox

Hi!

I am running into problems on one of our 3524XL switches.
The console port did always make slight problems; characters
sometimes appeared twice or more often. I thought this was a problem
with local echo or something I didn't care of.
Now the sitch had to be moved to another location and after being
switched on again there was just useless output on the console. Afer
turning it off and on again I am not able to connect to the port. I
treid with our terminal and also with minicom on a Linux machine.
I am assuming a hwardware problem but is there a way to confirm this?
Can the port easily be repaired/exchanged?

Thanks,
Christian

Robert B. Phillips, II

Christian,
Can you telnet to the switch. If you could you could do a 'show
post' and see if there are any POST failures which indicate a hardware
failure. If the port is bad, it is not field serviceable. You will
need to have the switch replaced, either under SmartNET from Cisco or
possibly from your VAR or reseller.

Christian Lox <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<cnnmhp$9ho$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Hi!
>
> I am running into problems on one of our 3524XL switches.
> The console port did always make slight problems; characters
> sometimes appeared twice or more often. I thought this was a problem
> with local echo or something I didn't care of.
> Now the sitch had to be moved to another location and after being
> switched on again there was just useless output on the console. Afer
> turning it off and on again I am not able to connect to the port. I
> treid with our terminal and also with minicom on a Linux machine.
> I am assuming a hwardware problem but is there a way to confirm this?
> Can the port easily be repaired/exchanged?
>
> Thanks,
> Christian

Christian Lox

Robert B. Phillips, II wrote:
> Christian,
> Can you telnet to the switch. If you could you could do a 'show
> post' and see if there are any POST failures which indicate a hardware
> failure. If the port is bad, it is not field serviceable. You will

The 'show post' issues a 'passed'.
Any other idea?

Thanks,
Christian

Robert B. Phillips, II

The console port can still be bad, but it sill be harder to ascertain.
What different systems have you tried to console into the switch with?
Have you been able to console into other Cisco equipment with those
same boxes? Are you using the Cisco supplied rollover cable? If not,
are you sure the cable is good and pinned out correctly? What terminal
settings are you using? Post a 'show run' so we can see how the
console port is configured.

Good Luck
-Robert

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:03:39 +0100, Christian Lox
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Robert B. Phillips, II wrote:
>> Christian,
>> Can you telnet to the switch. If you could you could do a 'show
>> post' and see if there are any POST failures which indicate a hardware
>> failure. If the port is bad, it is not field serviceable. You will

>The 'show post' issues a 'passed'.
>Any other idea?
>
>Thanks,
>Christian

Christian Lox

Robert B. Phillips, II wrote:
> The console port can still be bad, but it sill be harder to ascertain.
> What different systems have you tried to console into the switch with?

I tried a terminal box from Wyse which I mostly use for our cisco
machines and a Linux laptop with minicom.
Both work fine on other cisco gear.

> Have you been able to console into other Cisco equipment with those

yes.

> same boxes? Are you using the Cisco supplied rollover cable? If not,

yes, original (light blue) Cisco cables.

> are you sure the cable is good and pinned out correctly? What terminal

Tried also with different cables.

> settings are you using? Post a 'show run' so we can see how the
> console port is configured.

line con 0
transport input none
stopbits 1

are the relevant lines.

Thanks fpr your help!

Christian

Robert B. Phillips, II

Christian Lox <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<cnviom$kf3$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Robert B. Phillips, II wrote:
> > The console port can still be bad, but it sill be harder to ascertain.
> > What different systems have you tried to console into the switch with?

> I tried a terminal box from Wyse which I mostly use for our cisco
> machines and a Linux laptop with minicom.
> Both work fine on other cisco gear.
>
> > Have you been able to console into other Cisco equipment with those

> yes.
>
> > same boxes? Are you using the Cisco supplied rollover cable? If not,

> yes, original (light blue) Cisco cables.
>
> > are you sure the cable is good and pinned out correctly? What terminal

> Tried also with different cables.
>
> > settings are you using? Post a 'show run' so we can see how the
> > console port is configured.
> >

> line con 0
> transport input none
> stopbits 1
>
> are the relevant lines.
>
> Thanks fpr your help!
>
> Christian

Christian,
Try removing those two lines below con 0, unless there is a
specific reason they are there that is supposed to make it work with
your Linux box, but I know using HyperTerminal or other Windows-based
emulation packages you shoudln't need those lines of config. Let's see
if the configuration is messing with your console connection. Also,
have you ever successfully logged into this switch with your current
setup?

Good Luck
-Robert