Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Recovering T-Bird files after a crash

Recovering T-Bird files after a crash

Red Fox

Hi Experts,

My Win2K OS went belly up and I now have the problem of getting the folders,
emails, news groups, etc from the dead Thunderbird (TBird). I have another
Win2K OS setup and a fresh installation of TBird on the same machine.

I was able to locate the archive under Profiles in Docs and Settings, with
the old Mail and News folders. I tried Import Mail from T-Bird and was
offered only Communicator, Eudora, Outlook and OE - useless to me -
presumably intended for live programs. I copied a profile from the old
installation to the new one but T-Bird didn't recognize it. It has a name
like c5ma10es.default.

How can I get the information from Profiles in Docs and Settings to the
fresh installation?

TIA

RF

gwtc

Red Fox wrote:
> Hi Experts,
>
> My Win2K OS went belly up and I now have the problem of getting the folders,
> emails, news groups, etc from the dead Thunderbird (TBird). I have another
> Win2K OS setup and a fresh installation of TBird on the same machine.
>
> I was able to locate the archive under Profiles in Docs and Settings, with
> the old Mail and News folders. I tried Import Mail from T-Bird and was
> offered only Communicator, Eudora, Outlook and OE - useless to me -
> presumably intended for live programs. I copied a profile from the old
> installation to the new one but T-Bird didn't recognize it. It has a name
> like c5ma10es.default.
>
> How can I get the information from Profiles in Docs and Settings to the
> fresh installation?
>
> TIA
>
> RF

close TB. Then click on Start, Run and enter exactly:

thunderbird.exe -p

this will bring up the TB profile manager. Follow the instructions,
and when you get to the part about changing the profile location,
point it to the new location.

--
Caught Asleep At Your Work Desk

Just in case your boss catches you asleep at your desk, be ready to
blurt out this excuse #1: I was working smarter - not harder.

Red Fox

What kept you? - a whole 18 minutes

Thanks for the reply. I followed the instructions and I got a Choose Profile
window with choices
Create Profile, Rename Profile or Delete Profile??

Not sure where to go now.

RF

news:ebaslf$jcv$(E-Mail Removed)...

Red Fox wrote:
> What kept you? - a whole 18 minutes
>
> Thanks for the reply. I followed the instructions and I got a Choose Profile
> window with choices
> Create Profile, Rename Profile or Delete Profile??
>
> Not sure where to go now.
>
> RF
>

> "gwtc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ebaslf$jcv$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Red Fox wrote:
>>> Hi Experts,
>>>
>>> My Win2K OS went belly up and I now have the problem of getting the

> folders,
>>> emails, news groups, etc from the dead Thunderbird (TBird). I have

> another
>>> Win2K OS setup and a fresh installation of TBird on the same machine.
>>>
>>> I was able to locate the archive under Profiles in Docs and Settings,

> with
>>> the old Mail and News folders. I tried Import Mail from T-Bird and was
>>> offered only Communicator, Eudora, Outlook and OE - useless to me -
>>> presumably intended for live programs. I copied a profile from the old
>>> installation to the new one but T-Bird didn't recognize it. It has a

> name
>>> like c5ma10es.default.
>>>
>>> How can I get the information from Profiles in Docs and Settings to the
>>> fresh installation?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> RF
>>>

>> close TB. Then click on Start, Run and enter exactly:
>>
>> thunderbird.exe -p
>>
>> this will bring up the TB profile manager. Follow the instructions,
>> and when you get to the part about changing the profile location,
>> point it to the new location.
>>
>> --
>> Caught Asleep At Your Work Desk
>>
>> Just in case your boss catches you asleep at your desk, be ready to
>> blurt out this excuse #1: I was working smarter - not harder.

Oh, right, I should have said, create profile

--
Caught Asleep At Your Work Desk

Just in case your boss catches you asleep at your desk, be ready to
blurt out this excuse #1: I was working smarter - not harder.

Mozilla Champion (Dan)

gwtc wrote:
> Red Fox wrote:
>> What kept you? - a whole 18 minutes
>>
>> Thanks for the reply. I followed the instructions and I got a Choose
>> Profile
>> window with choices
>> Create Profile, Rename Profile or Delete Profile??
>>
>> Not sure where to go now.
>>
>> RF

> Oh, right, I should have said, create profile

Slowing down here gw, that one took you 93 minutes! <g>

gwtc

Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
> gwtc wrote:
>> Red Fox wrote:
>>> What kept you? - a whole 18 minutes
>>>
>>> Thanks for the reply. I followed the instructions and I got a Choose
>>> Profile
>>> window with choices
>>> Create Profile, Rename Profile or Delete Profile??
>>>
>>> Not sure where to go now.
>>>
>>> RF

>> Oh, right, I should have said, create profile
>>

> Slowing down here gw, that one took you 93 minutes! <g>

Yes, I seem to be getting slower every day. I need a vaction to renew
my cells. I haven't had one in 20 years.

--
Caught Asleep At Your Work Desk

Just in case your boss catches you asleep at your desk, be ready to
blurt out this excuse #1: I was working smarter - not harder.

Red Fox

"gwtc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ebb4c2$t75$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
> > gwtc wrote:

> >> Oh, right, I should have said, create profile
> >>

> > Slowing down here gw, that one took you 93 minutes! <g>

> Yes, I seem to be getting slower every day. I need a vaction to renew
> my cells. I haven't had one in 20 years.
>
> --
> Caught Asleep At Your Work Desk
>
> Just in case your boss catches you asleep at your desk, be ready to
> blurt out this excuse #1: I was working smarter - not harder.

Oh dear!, gwtc, we have managed to delete the existing profile.

I followed the Create new profile, thinking that I could give it the name of
the profile in the old installation and then copy the folders from the old
installation over to it. When I was finished, the existing profile, and the
new one I just created, showed in the profile window. Then when T-Bird
opened up, there were no profiles at all and it wanted me to create an email
address. I went through the process and now I have NO profile at all!!!

How to recover the existing profile that was deleted in the Create
process???

?????????????

Doug G

Red Fox wrote:
> "gwtc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ebb4c2$t75$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:

>>> Slowing down here gw, that one took you 93 minutes! <g>

>> Yes, I seem to be getting slower every day. I need a vaction to renew
>> my cells. I haven't had one in 20 years.
>>

> I followed the Create new profile, thinking that I could give it the name of
> the profile in the old installation and then copy the folders from the old
> installation over to it. When I was finished, the existing profile, and the
> new one I just created, showed in the profile window. Then when T-Bird
> opened up, there were no profiles at all and it wanted me to create an email
> address. I went through the process and now I have NO profile at all!!!
>
> How to recover the existing profile that was deleted in the Create
> process???

Try the advice at http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/profile#move

Orbis

>> Slowing down here gw, that one took you 93 minutes! <g>
> Yes, I seem to be getting slower every day. I need a vaction to renew
> my cells. I haven't had one in 20 years.

Life's what you make it. Take 6 months off.