Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > VPN 4.6 Client problem

VPN 4.6 Client problem

Bill Cohagan

I'm having a problem with the VPN client. Installing the client isolates my
machine on my LAN, even when the client is not running. I can see other
machines from my machine, but other machines can no longer see mine. I can't
ping my machine from other machines. Note (again), the VPN client is NOT
running when these problems occur. I would expect these symptoms if the VPN
were connected of course.

If I go to the Services applet in Control Panel and stop the Cisco VPN
service then everything returns to normal. Surely there's a better way to
restore connectivity of my LAN when I'm not using the VPN.

I'm running WinXP SP2 and VPN 4.6.00.0049.

I'd appreciate any suggestions or pointers.

Thanks in advance,
Bill

Jyri Korhonen

"Bill Cohagan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I can't ping my machine from other machines. Note (again),
> the VPN client is NOT running when these problems occur.
> I would expect these symptoms if the VPN were connected
> of course.
>
> If I go to the Services applet in Control Panel and stop
> the Cisco VPN service then everything returns to normal.

The Cisco VPN client has an inbuilt firewall. If you enable
the firewall feature then it will be always on regardless
of the VPN connection status. Is it possible that you have
accidentally set the firewall feature on.

dmcknigh

"Bill Cohagan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<67xnd.7852$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> I'm having a problem with the VPN client. Installing the client isolates my
> machine on my LAN, even when the client is not running. I can see other
> machines from my machine, but other machines can no longer see mine. I can't
> ping my machine from other machines. Note (again), the VPN client is NOT
> running when these problems occur. I would expect these symptoms if the VPN
> were connected of course.
>
> If I go to the Services applet in Control Panel and stop the Cisco VPN
> service then everything returns to normal. Surely there's a better way to
> restore connectivity of my LAN when I'm not using the VPN.
>
> I'm running WinXP SP2 and VPN 4.6.00.0049.
>
> I'd appreciate any suggestions or pointers.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Bill

You may want to try disabling the stateful firewall function
(Options-->Stateful Firewall <Uncheck>). It does continue to operate
even when your not connected via VPN.
Hope this Helps,
-D-

Bill Cohagan

Thanks for the tip. That solved the problem.

Bill
news:cnneqt$spt$(E-Mail Removed)...