Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Looking for an intellisense with good help IDE for Python

Looking for an intellisense with good help IDE for Python

metaperl

Hi,

I would like an IDE that shows me all methods and functions I can call
on a particular data item. For instance, iter() can be called on any
sequence, but it is not a method.

Nonetheless, I would like for something to show me every thing that I
can call on a particular data item.

This includes % after a string.

I would also like browseable help with good examples on whatever
methods and functions and operators it pops up.

Thanks,
Terrence

Chris Brat

I dont know if it will meet all your needs but SPE (Stani's Python
Editor) is quite cool - has code completion.

http://pythonide.stani.be

metaperl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like an IDE that shows me all methods and functions I can call
> on a particular data item. For instance, iter() can be called on any
> sequence, but it is not a method.
>
> Nonetheless, I would like for something to show me every thing that I
> can call on a particular data item.
>
> This includes % after a string.
>
> I would also like browseable help with good examples on whatever
> methods and functions and operators it pops up.
>
> Thanks,
> Terrence

Michiel Sikma

I can attest to PyDev being an excellent extension to Eclipse. But
Eclipse kind of requires a heavy machine to run, being a gigantic
Java program.

Michiel

Op 8-aug-2006, om 15:36 heeft Fabio Zadrozny het volgende geschreven:

> Have you checked pydev: http://pydev.sf.net
>
> Cheers,
>
> Fabio

taleinat

metaperl <metaperl <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I would like an IDE that shows me all methods and functions I can call
> on a particular data item. For instance, iter() can be called on any
> sequence, but it is not a method.
>
> Nonetheless, I would like for something to show me every thing that I
> can call on a particular data item.

Most built-in functions which can be called on objects simply call the objects'
respective __*__ method. But this isn't always true (as for iter()); it is an
interesting idea for code completion. I haven't seen any Python IDE do this, but
if you can convince me it's worth the effort, maybe that will change

As for other functions (not built-in), since there is no way in Python for a
function to declare a required type or interface for an argument, this seems
quite impossible.

Question: There are several built-in functions which can be called on any
object, such as str(), repr(), dir(), id() and type() - would you really want to
see all of those every time? I feel it would just clutter the completion list.

As an implementation issue, silly programmers overriding built-in functions by
accident would have to be taken into account...

> This includes % after a string.

But only if there are conversion specifiers in the string, right? Seriously
though, isn't it much, much simpler to just hit shift+5? I feel this would
needlessly clutter the list of completions. Why do you want this?

> I would also like browseable help with good examples on whatever
> methods and functions and operators it pops up.

Such help can easily be found in the Pydocs under "Built-in Functions". Under
Windows, this is a .chm help file which is browseable. Also, many IDEs show
calltips for functions, showing the arguments and/or docstring.

> Thanks,
> Terrence

- Tal Einat
reduce(lambda m,x:[m[i]+s[-1] for i,s in enumerate(sorted(m))],
[[chr(154-ord(c)) for c in '.&-&,l.Z95193+179-']]*1[3]

Miki

Hello Terrence,

> I would like an IDE that shows me all methods and functions I can call
> on a particular data item. For instance, iter() can be called on any
> sequence, but it is not a method.
>
> Nonetheless, I would like for something to show me every thing that I
> can call on a particular data item.
>
> This includes % after a string.
>
> I would also like browseable help with good examples on whatever
> methods and functions and operators it pops up.

The IDLE that will come (soon) with Python 2.5 with have some
intellisense. Not all that you requested but some of it.

HTH,
Miki
http://pythonwise.blogspot.com/

BartlebyScrivener

You don't say what platform you are using.

The PythonWin IDE has really good code completion. Not all that you
mention, but certainly methods etc. If you are on nix, then Komodo has
it; not free, but only $30 for Komodo personal.

rd

Marco Aschwanden

The best code completion you can get for Python is delivered by WingIDE:

http://wingware.com/

I have seen, PyDev, Kommodo, Spe and when it comes to code completion for
Python than nothing beats WingIDE. Maybe anyone can proof the contrary.

WingIDE is not for free though (Personal: 35 USD upto Profession: 180 USD)
- you can download a fully fuctional version and prolong it a few times...
try it out, if you are willing to pay a few bucks.

Cheers,
Marco

taleinat

Miki <miki.tebeka <at> gmail.com> writes:

> The IDLE that will come (soon) with Python 2.5 with have some
> intellisense. Not all that you requested but some of it.

On the same note, IDLE's completion module has received some serious upgrades
recently (such as dictionary key completion and case-insensitive completion),
but these haven't made it into the main Python trunk yet. I maintain a stable
version of IDLE with many new features, including the much-improved completion,
which can be found at:

http://www.mashebali.com/?Tal_Einat%27s_IDLE

Feel free to download, comment, and report bugs

- Tal
reduce(lambda m,x:[m[i]+s[-1] for i,s in enumerate(sorted(m))],
[[chr(154-ord(c)) for c in '.&-&,l.Z95193+179-']]*1[3]

kilnhead

I run PyDev and Eclipse on a 800mhz Celeron without any trouble. Just a
bit slow.