Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > ad hoc mode not available

ad hoc mode not available

Robert Wood

Am attempting to set up a peer-to-peer network on two PC's. Purchased two
identical wireless cards: Encore Electronics ENLWI-G 802.11g. Product
literature claimed ad-hoc mode available. I have so far installed a card in
one computer. The utility program included does not give me configuration
access like the instructions said it would. It shows it to be running in
infrastructure mode. Is there any other way to switch modes on the card?
Would Windows give any control, or is there any switch on the card to
control it?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
I am not familiar with your specific card. In some cards you can choose
Ad-Hoc mode by logging to the Card's Properties. Control Panel / Network
Connection / Right click on the connection properties/ click on the
Configure Button next to the Card Name and look at the tabs,
http://www.ezlan.net/network/XP_Net_properties.jpg
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Robert Wood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Am attempting to set up a peer-to-peer network on two PC's. Purchased two
> identical wireless cards: Encore Electronics ENLWI-G 802.11g. Product
> literature claimed ad-hoc mode available. I have so far installed a card
> in one computer. The utility program included does not give me
> configuration access like the instructions said it would. It shows it to
> be running in infrastructure mode. Is there any other way to switch modes
> on the card? Would Windows give any control, or is there any switch on the
> card to control it?

=?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=

"Robert Wood" wrote:
> Am attempting to set up a peer-to-peer network on two PC's. Purchased two
> identical wireless cards: Encore Electronics ENLWI-G 802.11g. Product
> literature claimed ad-hoc mode available. I have so far installed a card in
> one computer. The utility program included does not give me configuration
> access like the instructions said it would. It shows it to be running in
> infrastructure mode. Is there any other way to switch modes on the card?
> Would Windows give any control, or is there any switch on the card to
> control it?

So, the manufacturer's documentation does not match
the actual software. Call them and request update...
( there is no swich on the card )

--PA

AJR

This is a guess (not necessarily educated) - you state " have so far
installed a card in one computer." Infrastructure mode refers to an access
point network.

You may get an ad-hoc option by installing the other card?