Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection not working

Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection not working

=?Utf-8?B?R2FyeQ==?=

I have a Sony Vaio VGNTX17GP with Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network
Connection. Driver Version 9.0.4.17. I checked the hardware ID from Intel's
website. Also fixed known issues like :

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...stems&lang=eng

When i try to connect to any wireless network, i fail. Even though i try to
use widows to manage my wireless, it sits on the connecting stage and then
drops out.
Earlier it used to work fine on my machine. I have tried to re-install win
XP but i get the same problem.
Please advice.

=?Utf-8?B?R2FyeQ==?=

Here is what the Belarc Advisor says :

Operating System System Model
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600) Sony Corporation
VGN-TX17GP_B J0019GJT
System Serial Number: 28199073-7402637
Enclosure Type: Notebook
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
1.20 gigahertz Intel Pentium M
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache BIOS: Phoenix Technologies LTD
R0031V1 08/05/2005
Drives Memory Modules c,d
55.00 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
34.71 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

MATSHITA UJ-832D [CD-ROM drive]

MemoryStick2 Device [Hard drive] -- drive 1
SD3 Device [Hard drive] -- drive 2
TOSHIBA MK6006GAH [Hard drive] (60.01 GB) -- drive 0, s/n Y5O58390T, rev
BZ002A, SMART Status: Healthy 504 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'SODIMM1' has 512 MB
Slot 'SODIMM2' is Empty
Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 20.00 GB 13.15 GB free
d: (NTFS on drive 0) 35.00 GB 21.55 GB free

Network Drives
None detected
Users (mouse over user name for details) Printers
local user accounts last logon
Gary 8/7/2006 11:40:44 PM (admin)
local system accounts
Administrator never (admin)
Guest never
HelpAssistant never
IUSR_GARY never
IWAM_GARY 8/3/2006 9:14:08 PM
SUPPORT_388945a0 never

Marks a disabled account; Marks a locked account PDF-XChange 3.0 on
PDF-XChange

Controllers Display
Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 266F
Primary IDE Channel [Controller] Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express
Chipset Family [Display adapter] (2x)
MS_ [Monitor] (3x)
Bus Adapters Multimedia
Generic CardBus Controller
Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 2658
Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 2659
Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 265A
Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 265B
Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 265C Realtek High
Definition Audio
Communications Other Devices
HDAUDIO SoftV92 Data Fax Modem with SmartCP

1394 Net Adapter
Bluetooth Personal Area Network from TOSHIBA
Dhcp Server: none responded
Physical Address: 00:02:C7:83:AD:8D
Intel(R) PRO/100 VM Network Connection
primary IP Address: 192.168.1.15 / 24
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Physical Address: 00:01:4A:99:88:49
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
Dhcp Server: none responded
Physical Address: 00:13:CE:AE:68:09

Networking Dns Servers: 202.56.215.6
202.56.230.6
Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
Microsoft AC Adapter
Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery
Bluetooth RFBNEP from TOSHIBA
Bluetooth RFBUS from TOSHIBA
Bluetooth RFCOMM from TOSHIBA
Bluetooth RFHID from TOSHIBA
Sony Notebook Control Device
Sony Programmable I/O Control Device
Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Alps Pointing-device for VAIO [Mouse]
Texas Instruments PCI7411 Integrated FlashMedia Controller
Bluetooth USB Controller (ALPS/UGX UGPZ6XC02A)
USB Root Hub (5x

"Gary" wrote:

> I have a Sony Vaio VGNTX17GP with Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network
> Connection. Driver Version 9.0.4.17. I checked the hardware ID from Intel's
> website. Also fixed known issues like :
>
> http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...stems&lang=eng
>
> When i try to connect to any wireless network, i fail. Even though i try to
> use widows to manage my wireless, it sits on the connecting stage and then
> drops out.
> Earlier it used to work fine on my machine. I have tried to re-install win
> XP but i get the same problem.
> Please advice.

=?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=

"Gary" wrote:
> I have a Sony Vaio VGNTX17GP with Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network
> Connection. Driver Version 9.0.4.17. I checked the hardware ID from Intel's
> website. Also fixed known issues like :
>
> http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...stems&lang=eng
>
> When i try to connect to any wireless network, i fail. Even though i try to
> use widows to manage my wireless, it sits on the connecting stage and then
> drops out.
> Earlier it used to work fine on my machine. I have tried to re-install win
> XP but i get the same problem.
> Please advice.

Somewhere on the laptop should be a tiny switch of the wi-fi radio.
Turn it on; this helps

Here is the manual for your model:
http://www.sony-mea.com/vaio/vgntx17gp/vgntx17gp_b.pdf

Regards,
--PA

=?Utf-8?B?R2FyeQ==?=

Come on ... How else do you think i will get networks to connect to ?
The wireless is turned ON.
There seems to be some other problem.

Anyone else ?

"Pavel A." wrote:

> "Gary" wrote:
> > I have a Sony Vaio VGNTX17GP with Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network
> > Connection. Driver Version 9.0.4.17. I checked the hardware ID from Intel's
> > website. Also fixed known issues like :
> >
> > http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...stems&lang=eng
> >
> > When i try to connect to any wireless network, i fail. Even though i try to
> > use widows to manage my wireless, it sits on the connecting stage and then
> > drops out.
> > Earlier it used to work fine on my machine. I have tried to re-install win
> > XP but i get the same problem.
> > Please advice.

> Somewhere on the laptop should be a tiny switch of the wi-fi radio.
> Turn it on; this helps
>
> Here is the manual for your model:
> http://www.sony-mea.com/vaio/vgntx17gp/vgntx17gp_b.pdf
>
> Regards,
> --PA

Nommos

Gary wrote:
> Come on ... How else do you think i will get networks to connect to ?
> The wireless is turned ON.
> There seems to be some other problem.
>
> Anyone else ?
>

> "Pavel A." wrote:
>
> > "Gary" wrote:
> > > I have a Sony Vaio VGNTX17GP with Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network
> > > Connection. Driver Version 9.0.4.17. I checked the hardware ID from Intel's
> > > website. Also fixed known issues like :
> > >
> > > http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...stems&lang=eng
> > >
> > > When i try to connect to any wireless network, i fail. Even though i try to
> > > use widows to manage my wireless, it sits on the connecting stage and then
> > > drops out.
> > > Earlier it used to work fine on my machine. I have tried to re-install win
> > > XP but i get the same problem.
> > > Please advice.

> > Somewhere on the laptop should be a tiny switch of the wi-fi radio.
> > Turn it on; this helps
> >
> > Here is the manual for your model:
> > http://www.sony-mea.com/vaio/vgntx17gp/vgntx17gp_b.pdf
> >
> > Regards,
> > --PA

This is a known problem with 2200BG just do a search and you will find
all sorts of info. It is annoying some just fix it by getting the
latest drivers and turning the power management on the wi-fi card to
max and that helps. This has not helped for me yet still trying to
figure out a solution on the Motion tablet.

=?Utf-8?B?R2FyeQ==?=

Nope.... This one did not do anything.
I wonder what the problem is since the symptoms keep changing. Initially....
the connection would break off and on.. and now, it just refuses to connect.
It gets frustrating when you buy a laptop with inbuilt wireless !!

Regards,
Gary