Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Any suggestions on a reliable voip service?

Reply
Thread Tools

Any suggestions on a reliable voip service?

 
 
Doug McIntyre
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-08-2006
Pat Coghlan <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>I'm talking about noise when calling to the PSTN from a VoIP phone.


>The remote (PSTN) party's complaints are that my voice muffled/distant.
>On my end, I hear hiss and a high pitched tone when there should be dead
>air. I've tried 2 different providers so far, including Vonage.


It could be the ATA device.
My provider sent me a free Linksys PAP2 POS. I got around to
hooking it up one day, and the line was all hiss and noise.
My normal gear worked fine, so I basicly chucked the PAP2 out the door.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jonathan Roberts
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-08-2006

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Any of these hardware independent? Basically, do i have to use
> specifically their equipment or can i get any router with phone ports.
>


They all support bring your own device. I suggest trying them out one by
one with a softphone until you find one you like (unless you already have
the hardware).


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-08-2006
Thus spaketh http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed):
> Any of these hardware independent? Basically, do i have to use
> specifically their equipment or can i get any router with phone ports.


I use VoIP Stunt on a PAP2 ATA, VoIP Stunt and their sister services
don't sell/provide hardware, they get you to download their softphone
and list the SIP details required for using your own hardware, be it
ATA, VoIP Phone or router with VoIP ports, or you a SIP softphone of
your own choice.

 
Reply With Quote
 
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-08-2006
Thus spaketh Doug McIntyre:
> Pat Coghlan <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> I'm talking about noise when calling to the PSTN from a VoIP phone.

>
>> The remote (PSTN) party's complaints are that my voice
>> muffled/distant. On my end, I hear hiss and a high pitched tone when
>> there should be dead air. I've tried 2 different providers so far,
>> including Vonage.

>
> It could be the ATA device.
> My provider sent me a free Linksys PAP2 POS. I got around to
> hooking it up one day, and the line was all hiss and noise.
> My normal gear worked fine, so I basicly chucked the PAP2 out the
> door.



My PAP2 is faultless, along with other people I know with the device,
it's an excellent piece of kit.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Ivor Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-08-2006


"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk>
wrote in message
news:EqKBg.89$(E-Mail Removed)
> Thus spaketh Pat Coghlan:
> > They're all somewhat r-e-l-i-a-b-l-e, but after trying
> > a couple of providers, I'm sticking with my landline
> > for now. Too much hiss and high-pitched tone in the
> > background from these services. (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > > Any good ones out there? Please don't include Vonage.
> > > Thanks.

>
>
> I get perfect sound, crystal clear, as good and better
> than a top-notch landline.
>
> People comment how clear the sound is.


Indeed. I had a call from a friend in Arizona yesterday (I'm in the UK) on
my FWD number (routed from my US IPKall number) and she made a point of
asking me if I'd changed anything as the call quality was even better than
usual. It's always been at least as good as the PSTN, in fact nobody has
ever made any adverse comments on call quality on any of my several VoIP
accounts (with three different providers).

Ivor


 
Reply With Quote
 
zcarenow@yahoo.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-08-2006
So you are able to make regular calls with your regular phone with
clear sounds? I am thinking about using my LINKSYS RTP router(same one
from Vonage) which has 2 phone ports. How did u set yours up? Thanks.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-08-2006

Pat Coghlan <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> I'm talking about noise when calling to the PSTN from a VoIP phone.
>
> The remote (PSTN) party's complaints are that my voice
> muffled/distant. On my end, I hear hiss and a high pitched tone when
> there should be dead air. I've tried 2 different providers so far,
> including Vonage.


Sure, the company you use to get into the phone system can have a bad
SIP->PSTN gateway (either badly designed, badly setup or just broken).
Also, many VOIP companies buy their connectivity from some upstream.
It may well be that even after you switched you were still on the same
equipment. There could also be a problem at your end. Cordless
phones are notoriously bad. Some put out so much noise that any
compression the ATA does, has the compressor allocate most of the
available bandwidth to moving the noise. This doesn't happen with
POTS because POTS typically is uncompressed straight encoding called
ulaw. This is another good reason why you want any compression on the
SIP line. My feeling is it should be set up for straight ulaw.

That doesn't damn the whole SIP idea. It is just that they can't do a
good job of it. SIP when set up correctly is much cleaner than POTS.
There is less chance for noise to enter the system and the signal is
digitized much closer to the handset. The digitization method can
(and in my opinion should be) the same as POTS - straight ulaw.

There are some companies that allow you to bring and set up your own
equipment. Some have really decent prices (no monthlies if you just
want outgoing calls and 2cents/minute.) You can buy as expensive or
cheap a voip phone as you want. I have pay by the minute accounts
with both www.teliax.com and www.gafachi.com . Both are coming up on
two years now and I'm still very happy with both. (Anyone that knows
any other pay by the minute services please post! I'm always
interested to hear of alternatives.)

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/
 
Reply With Quote
 
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-08-2006
Thus spaketh (E-Mail Removed):
> So you are able to make regular calls with your regular phone with
> clear sounds? I am thinking about using my LINKSYS RTP router(same one
> from Vonage) which has 2 phone ports. How did u set yours up? Thanks.



I have standard corded and a couple of DECT cordless phones connected to
the PAP2, I can call regular phones without any problem, the calls are
crystal clear, you wouldn't know I wasn't using a regular phone most the
times, the only times someone says anything is when they say how clear
the call is.

I don't have a regular landline, I have broadband, no phone line, and
use VoIP for all my calls, except my mobile for a few calls here and
there.

It was just a case of entering the SIP details onto the PAP2, and then
setting up a dial plan, so I don't need to dial the full number for
local calls etc.


--
Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jonathan Roberts
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-09-2006

"Wolfgang S. Rupprecht"
<(E-Mail Removed) .wsrcc.com> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> There are some companies that allow you to bring and set up your own
> equipment. Some have really decent prices (no monthlies if you just
> want outgoing calls and 2cents/minute.) You can buy as expensive or
> cheap a voip phone as you want. I have pay by the minute accounts
> with both www.teliax.com and www.gafachi.com . Both are coming up on
> two years now and I'm still very happy with both. (Anyone that knows
> any other pay by the minute services please post! I'm always
> interested to hear of alternatives.)


I've been happy with voxee & voipjet for PAYGO.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Pat Coghlan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-09-2006
I also suspect the SIP->PSTN gateway as being the weak link in the
chain. I think Allstream is the 3rd party here in Ontario, Canada.

In my case, I compared a call to the same destination with Vonage and
Bell (my office voicemail). When I stopped talking, I could hear hiss
and a high pitched carrier-like sound coming from the other end with
Vonage. I heard dead air with my Bell landline.

-Pat

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> Pat Coghlan <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> I'm talking about noise when calling to the PSTN from a VoIP phone.
>>
>> The remote (PSTN) party's complaints are that my voice
>> muffled/distant. On my end, I hear hiss and a high pitched tone when
>> there should be dead air. I've tried 2 different providers so far,
>> including Vonage.
>>

>
> Sure, the company you use to get into the phone system can have a bad
> SIP->PSTN gateway (either badly designed, badly setup or just broken).
> Also, many VOIP companies buy their connectivity from some upstream.
> It may well be that even after you switched you were still on the same
> equipment. There could also be a problem at your end. Cordless
> phones are notoriously bad. Some put out so much noise that any
> compression the ATA does, has the compressor allocate most of the
> available bandwidth to moving the noise. This doesn't happen with
> POTS because POTS typically is uncompressed straight encoding called
> ulaw. This is another good reason why you want any compression on the
> SIP line. My feeling is it should be set up for straight ulaw.
>
> That doesn't damn the whole SIP idea. It is just that they can't do a
> good job of it. SIP when set up correctly is much cleaner than POTS.
> There is less chance for noise to enter the system and the signal is
> digitized much closer to the handset. The digitization method can
> (and in my opinion should be) the same as POTS - straight ulaw.
>
> There are some companies that allow you to bring and set up your own
> equipment. Some have really decent prices (no monthlies if you just
> want outgoing calls and 2cents/minute.) You can buy as expensive or
> cheap a voip phone as you want. I have pay by the minute accounts
> with both www.teliax.com and www.gafachi.com . Both are coming up on
> two years now and I'm still very happy with both. (Anyone that knows
> any other pay by the minute services please post! I'm always
> interested to hear of alternatives.)
>
> -wolfgang
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
501 PIX "deny any any" "allow any any" Any Anybody? Networking Student Cisco 4 11-16-2006 10:40 PM



Advertisments