Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Free number questions

Free number questions

Turandot

I have signed up with sipgate.co.uk for a free number but I am a bit worried
to give it to all the friends except some close ones. My concerns are:
1. Who issued these free numbers to sipgate, BT/NTL?
2. Should sipgate go under or change their policy, what will happen to our
"free" numbers? Can we buy it back from BT or NTL in this case?

Thx.

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Turandot:
> I have signed up with sipgate.co.uk for a free number but I am a bit
> worried to give it to all the friends except some close ones. My
> concerns are:
> 1. Who issued these free numbers to sipgate, BT/NTL?
> 2. Should sipgate go under or change their policy, what will happen
> to our "free" numbers? Can we buy it back from BT or NTL in this case?
>
> Thx.

The number is issued by Magrathea, there are many different companies
who issue numbers, however it is OFCOM who issues those numbers to them
in the first place.

There are procedures in place in case companies go belly up, I'm sure it
would be a case of migrating to another provider.

Caller ID units for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

Peter Andrews

news:m2GBg.112829$(E-Mail Removed) .uk...
> Thus spaketh Turandot:
>> I have signed up with sipgate.co.uk for a free number but I am a bit
>> worried to give it to all the friends except some close ones. My
>> concerns are:
>> 1. Who issued these free numbers to sipgate, BT/NTL?
>> 2. Should sipgate go under or change their policy, what will happen
>> to our "free" numbers? Can we buy it back from BT or NTL in this case?
>>
>> Thx.

> The number is issued by Magrathea, there are many different companies who
> issue numbers, however it is OFCOM who issues those numbers to them in the
> first place.
>
> There are procedures in place in case companies go belly up, I'm sure it
> would be a case of migrating to another provider.
>

> --
> DVD rental: www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk/dvd
> PAYG Mobile Offers: www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk/payg
> Caller ID units for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

Do a Google on what happened when Atlantic Telecom went belly up in November
2001. There is NO obligation on any other supplier to take on your number,
it was weeks before some people had service restored!

Peter

Paul Cupis

Peter Andrews wrote:
> "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:m2GBg.112829$(E-Mail Removed) .uk...
>> Thus spaketh Turandot:
>>> I have signed up with sipgate.co.uk for a free number but I am a bit
>>> worried to give it to all the friends except some close ones. My
>>> concerns are:
>>> 1. Who issued these free numbers to sipgate, BT/NTL?
>>> 2. Should sipgate go under or change their policy, what will happen
>>> to our "free" numbers? Can we buy it back from BT or NTL in this case?

>> The number is issued by Magrathea, there are many different companies who
>> issue numbers, however it is OFCOM who issues those numbers to them in the
>> first place.
>>
>> There are procedures in place in case companies go belly up, I'm sure it
>> would be a case of migrating to another provider.

> Do a Google on what happened when Atlantic Telecom went belly up in November
> 2001. There is NO obligation on any other supplier to take on your number,
> it was weeks before some people had service restored!

True, but the number would still be allocated to Magrathea (for example)
and so another company could potentially take it up fairly easily (as
opposed to the case that the range holder or the company hosting the
range goes belly up).

Colin Forrester

Peter Andrews wrote:

> Do a Google on what happened when Atlantic Telecom went belly up in November
> 2001. There is NO obligation on any other supplier to take on your number,
> it was weeks before some people had service restored!

Remember it well - I wonder what procedures Oftel and now Ofcom have in
place to prevent the inevitable repeat?

M.Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 15:28:21 +0100, Colin Forrester
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Peter Andrews wrote:
>
>> Do a Google on what happened when Atlantic Telecom went belly up in November
>> 2001. There is NO obligation on any other supplier to take on your number,
>> it was weeks before some people had service restored!

>Remember it well - I wonder what procedures Oftel and now Ofcom have in
>place to prevent the inevitable repeat?

No wonder Atlantic went belly up they allowed 0870 and 0845 calls
for free , their info stated that these calls where chargeable but I
was never charged for any . An outfit called Breathe telecom took over
the residential accounts saying nothing would change but it did .

Turandot

news:m2GBg.112829$(E-Mail Removed) .uk...
> The number is issued by Magrathea, there are many different companies
> who issue numbers, however it is OFCOM who issues those numbers to them
> in the first place.
>
> There are procedures in place in case companies go belly up, I'm sure it
> would be a case of migrating to another provider.
>

> --
> DVD rental: www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk/dvd
> PAYG Mobile Offers: www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk/payg
> Caller ID units for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

I read from here that you can port numbers from BT now:
http://www.gradwell.com/voip/number_porting.php. Porting from other voip
providers like Sipgate is also possible. It's interesting to see how OFCOM
is going to protect both "our" numbers and sipgate's investment.

Paul Cupis

Turandot wrote:
> I read from here that you can port numbers from BT now:
> http://www.gradwell.com/voip/number_porting.php. Porting from other voip
> providers like Sipgate is also possible.

> It's interesting to see how OFCOM
> is going to protect both "our" numbers and sipgate's investment.

Excuse me?

Turandot

"Paul Cupis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ebb851$ovg$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Turandot wrote:
> > I read from here that you can port numbers from BT now:
> > http://www.gradwell.com/voip/number_porting.php. Porting from other voip
> > providers like Sipgate is also possible.

> > It's interesting to see how OFCOM
> > is going to protect both "our" numbers and sipgate's investment.

> Excuse me?

If we can take the phone numbers with us, porting to another provider,
sipgate will loose their investment on these numbers. Sipgate must have paid
a fee (monthly or annually??) to have these numbers, and from what I have
read from this group, many people are using the free sipgate numbers but not
their paid services, so will the porting fee (£20 charged by gradwell) cover
their costs.

It might be possible to own a phone number (not the 077 ones) the same way
as we own a domain name in the future

Paul Cupis

Turandot wrote:
> "Paul Cupis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ebb851$ovg$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Turandot wrote:
>>> I read from here that you can port numbers from BT now:
>>> http://www.gradwell.com/voip/number_porting.php. Porting from other voip
>>> providers like Sipgate is also possible.

>>> It's interesting to see how OFCOM
>>> is going to protect both "our" numbers and sipgate's investment.

>> Excuse me?

> If we can take the phone numbers with us, porting to another provider,
> sipgate will loose their investment on these numbers. Sipgate must have paid
> a fee (monthly or annually??) to have these numbers, and from what I have
> read from this group, many people are using the free sipgate numbers but not
> their paid services, so will the porting fee (£20 charged by gradwell) cover
> their costs.

If a company ports a number to themselves, they typically contract with
the losing operator to pay them an amount (per minute or whatever)
ongoing to route the call to them. A losing operator does not have to
provide the porting service free of charge.

The number is still owned by the range holder, not the end user.

> It might be possible to own a phone number (not the 077 ones) the same way
> as we own a domain name in the future

Not under the current system. Numbers are "owned" by the range holders
as allocated by Ofcom, not but end users.