Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > mac-address-table static ? how does itwork ?

mac-address-table static ? how does itwork ?

jh3ang

hello ^^
if only one host should be allowed in a switch port, we have to use
this command:
(config)#mac-address-table static fa0/1 vlan 1

but i'm wondering.. how does it work ?
i checked if switch port has a mac address, and it certainly does!!
if mac-address-table static command is used, after all a host mac
address and a swich port mac address will be the same valve ? is it
possible ?
how does it work ? please help me out to understand..
my ccna book doesn't mention anything in detail, is it for ccnp ?

BernieM

"jh3ang" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> hello ^^
> if only one host should be allowed in a switch port, we have to use
> this command:
> (config)#mac-address-table static fa0/1 vlan 1
>
> but i'm wondering.. how does it work ?
> i checked if switch port has a mac address, and it certainly does!!
> if mac-address-table static command is used, after all a host mac
> address and a swich port mac address will be the same valve ? is it
> possible ?
> how does it work ? please help me out to understand..
> my ccna book doesn't mention anything in detail, is it for ccnp ?

The "mac-address-table static" commands guards against mac spoofiing. Any
packets coming into the interface with a mac-address different to the static
entry are dropped. The mac-address of the actual switchport and the end
host won't be the same nor would they ever need to be. Packets coming into
the interface would never have the mac-address of the switchport.

BernieM