Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Is this the newsgroup for CSS help? CSS Question Included

Is this the newsgroup for CSS help? CSS Question Included

AF

Is this the group for CSS questions?

If so here is one. If not where can I post this.

I have a bunch of links through my web pages, like these:

<a class=FootNote href="http://www.bscinc.net">annuity</a>,
<a class=FootNote href="http://www.bscinc.net">variable annuity</a>,
<a class=FootNote href=“http://www.bscinc.net”>tax sheltered
annuity</a>,

Please note that I use the "class=FootNote" to format the links. It
works well.

But it is a pain to keep typing.

Is there a way to do the formatting at a higher level?

For example, I thought I could use something like

or

and then show the links like this

and get the formatting I want.

I tried this, but I can't seem to make it work.

Do I have a problem in my web page code or in my css file?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Al
http://www.bscinc.net
http://www.affordablefloridainsurance.com
http://www.americanltci.com

Rik

AF wrote:
> Is this the group for CSS questions?
>
> If so here is one. If not where can I post this.
>
> I have a bunch of links through my web pages, like these:
>
> <a class=FootNote href="http://www.bscinc.net">annuity</a>,
> <a class=FootNote href="http://www.bscinc.net">variable annuity</a>,
> <a class=FootNote href="http://www.bscinc.net">tax sheltered
> annuity</a>,
>
> Please note that I use the "class=FootNote" to format the links. It
> works well.
>
> But it is a pain to keep typing.
>
> Is there a way to do the formatting at a higher level?
>
> For example, I thought I could use something like

It seems like an unordered list to me?
so:
<ul id="footnote">
<li><a ...</a></li>
<li><a ...</a></li>
<li><a ...</a></li>
</ul>

And apply formatting in css to
#footnote{

}
#footnote li{

}
and/or
#footnote a{

}

comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets is a good CSS group BTW.

Grtz,
--
Rik Wasmus

AF

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 21:37:19 +0200, "Rik" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote
:

>And apply formatting in css to
>#footnote{
>
>}
>#footnote li{
>
>}
>and/or
>#footnote a{

Thanks for the post. It is not a list.

Here is my css statements to give you an idea:

..FootNote {
FONT-SIZE: 8pt;
COLOR: #000000;
FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif, sans-serif;
TEXT-DECORATION: NONE;
}

A.FootNote:link {
FONT-SIZE: 7pt;
COLOR: #000000;
FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif, sans-serif;
TEXT-DECORATION: NONE;
}

A.FootNote:visited {
FONT-SIZE: 7pt;
COLOR: #000000;
FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif, sans-serif;
TEXT-DECORATION: NONE;
}

A.FootNote:hover {
FONT-SIZE: 7pt;
COLOR: #000000;
FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif, sans-serif;
TEXT-DECORATION: NONE;
}

A.FootNote:active {
FONT-SIZE: 7pt;
COLOR: #000000;
FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif, sans-serif;
TEXT-DECORATION: NONE;
}

It looks like my problem is in the css file.

How show I modify the above?

Thanks for your help
Best regards,

wrote:

>And apply formatting in css to
>#footnote{
>
>}
>#footnote li{
>
>}
>and/or
>#footnote a{
>
>}

Nevermind my preceding post.

Based on your remail, I changed my css to read

#FootNote {
FONT-SIZE: 8pt;
COLOR: #000000;
FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif, sans-serif;
TEXT-DECORATION: NONE;
}

#FootNote A:link {
FONT-SIZE: 7pt;
COLOR: #000000;
FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif, sans-serif;
TEXT-DECORATION: NONE;
}

#FootNote A:visited {
FONT-SIZE: 7pt;
COLOR: #000000;
FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif, sans-serif;
TEXT-DECORATION: NONE;
}

#FootNote A:hover {
FONT-SIZE: 7pt;
COLOR: #000000;
FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif, sans-serif;
TEXT-DECORATION: NONE;
}

#FootNote A:active {
FONT-SIZE: 7pt;
COLOR: #000000;
FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif, sans-serif;
TEXT-DECORATION: NONE;
}

And it works fine now. Thanks for your email reply which lead me to
the answer.

And thanks to everyone who posts here.

Best regards,

http://www.bscinc.net
http://www.affordablefloridainsurance.com
http://www.americanltci.com

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

AF wrote:

> Based on your remail, I changed my css to read
>
> #FootNote {
> FONT-SIZE: 8pt;

Points are for printing. 8 of them is waaay too small to read. Use
percentages. 100 of them.
http://k75s.home.att.net/fontsize.html

> COLOR: #000000;
> FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif, sans-serif;

You do not need to specify family for every class. Specify it once for
the body { } element. Drop the Sans-serif and just use sans-serif.

> TEXT-DECORATION: NONE;

How will anyone know it is a link if you remove the underlines?

> And it works fine now. Thanks for your email reply which lead me to
> the answer.

Fine? For some value of "fine" perhaps. How about you post the URL
where this code is used?

--
-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer

Jonathan N. Little

AF wrote:
> Is this the group for CSS questions?
>
> If so here is one. If not where can I post this.
>
> I have a bunch of links through my web pages, like these:
>
> <a class=FootNote href="http://www.bscinc.net">annuity</a>,
> <a class=FootNote href="http://www.bscinc.net">variable annuity</a>,
> <a class=FootNote href=“http://www.bscinc.net”>tax sheltered
> annuity</a>,
>
> Please note that I use the "class=FootNote" to format the links. It
> works well.
>
> But it is a pain to keep typing.
>
> Is there a way to do the formatting at a higher level?
>
> For example, I thought I could use something like

> or

..FootNote A { whatever your want to style your links }

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

AF

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 20:20:55 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Points are for printing. 8 of them is waaay too small to read. Use
>percentages. 100 of them.
>http://k75s.home.att.net/fontsize.html

I see your point, no bun intended.

Where can I go, ie what are the urls, to find out more about the
"correct" methods of specifying font size for the Web?

By the way, I have tried several mthods but always had problems when
viewing pages in MS IE or in FireFox. I never could get the size I
wanted using smlaa, medium, large type specifications. That is why I
started using 10pt, 12pt, etc.

Thanks for your post.

Best regards,

AF
http://www.bscinc.net
http://www.affordablefloridainsurance.com
http://www.americanltci.com

AF

snip

>By the way, I have tried several mthods but always had problems when
>viewing pages in MS IE or in FireFox. I never could get the size I
>wanted using smlaa, medium, large type specifications.

snip

>Best regards,
>
>AF
>http://www.bscinc.net
>http://www.affordablefloridainsurance.com
>http://www.americanltci.com

Obviously I meant "small" not "smlaa". Sorry for the typo.

AF wrote:

> On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 20:20:55 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Points are for printing. 8 of them is waaay too small to read. Use
>> percentages. 100 of them. http://k75s.home.att.net/fontsize.html

> I see your point, no bun intended.

Do you have a bun in the oven? <g>

> Where can I go, ie what are the urls, to find out more about the
> "correct" methods of specifying font size for the Web?

Any of thousands of posts in these newsgroups that discuss the matter
several times per week?

> By the way, I have tried several mthods but always had problems when
> viewing pages in MS IE or in FireFox. I never could get the size I
> wanted using smlaa, medium, large type specifications. That is why I
> started using 10pt, 12pt, etc.

It was right there on my page:

"This column has the text size set at 100% and you will be able to
adjust it to a suitable size. 100% is your default size. CSS: body {
font-size: 100%; }"

If you're not sure what that means, please ask.

Don't use px either...

> Thanks for your post.

You're welcome.

--
-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer

Andy Mabbett

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, AF
<bscinc@Yahoo_NoSpam.com> writes

[of a series of links]

>It is not a list.

Yes it is.

Compact Oxford English Dictionary:

list noun - a number of connected items or names written
consecutively

--
Andy Mabbett
Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards: <http://www.no2id.net/>