Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > [j2me] How to access mobile's file system?

[j2me] How to access mobile's file system?

Timo Nentwig

Hi!

As far as I found out there are two ways to access data on the device:
FileConnection and RecordStore. Apparently my xda mini S (or HTC
Wizard) doesn't support FileConnection as the MIDlet seems to crash
with this code (no, no exception).

I don't quite understand that RecordStore stuff and don't find no
information about how to simply access a file on my miniSD card.

Thanks for hints
Timo

Darryl L. Pierce

Timo Nentwig wrote:
> Hi!
>
> As far as I found out there are two ways to access data on the device:
> FileConnection and RecordStore. Apparently my xda mini S (or HTC
> Wizard) doesn't support FileConnection as the MIDlet seems to crash
> with this code (no, no exception).
>
> I don't quite understand that RecordStore stuff and don't find no
> information about how to simply access a file on my miniSD card.

RecordStore can only be used to create new record stores and to access
previously created record stores. At that, it is constrained to only
accessing record stores that were created by the MIDlet suite using the
RecordStore object. Record stores cannot be used to access arbitrary
stores, hence the reason for the FileConnection GCF framework.

What is the device on which you're running your MIDlet?

--
Darryl L. Pierce <(E-Mail Removed)>
Visit my homepage: <http://mcpierce.multiply.com>