Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > wireless network connection setup...cant bridge to wired network

wireless network connection setup...cant bridge to wired network

jim

I am a newbie at wireless. I have had a wired network at home for
years...cable modem, 4 port router and extension hub...works great.
Bought a wireless pci card so that I would have some wireless access to
the network. It installed fine...but network connections shows the not
connected...I tried using the network bridge in connetions, that just
disconnected my wired connection, without affecting the wireless.

What am I doing wrong? I am running Windows XP home.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Lem

jim wrote:
> I am a newbie at wireless. I have had a wired network at home for
> years...cable modem, 4 port router and extension hub...works great.
> Bought a wireless pci card so that I would have some wireless access to
> the network. It installed fine...but network connections shows the not
> connected...I tried using the network bridge in connetions, that just
> disconnected my wired connection, without affecting the wireless.
>
> What am I doing wrong? I am running Windows XP home.
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice.

What wireless network are you trying to connect to? That is, does the
router you've had for years have wireless capability or are you trying
to access someone else's wifi network?

Tim

What kind of wireless access point and wireless card are you using?

"jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I am a newbie at wireless. I have had a wired network at home for
> years...cable modem, 4 port router and extension hub...works great.
> Bought a wireless pci card so that I would have some wireless access to
> the network. It installed fine...but network connections shows the not
> connected...I tried using the network bridge in connetions, that just
> disconnected my wired connection, without affecting the wireless.
>
> What am I doing wrong? I am running Windows XP home.
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice.

Greg Lindsay [MSFT]

Hi Jim,

How many computers do you have, and which are you trying to connect via
wireless? Which ones have wired access, and which one did you add the
wireless PCI card to?

--
Greg Lindsay [MSFT]

no rights.

"jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I am a newbie at wireless. I have had a wired network at home for
> years...cable modem, 4 port router and extension hub...works great.
> Bought a wireless pci card so that I would have some wireless access to
> the network. It installed fine...but network connections shows the not
> connected...I tried using the network bridge in connetions, that just
> disconnected my wired connection, without affecting the wireless.
>
> What am I doing wrong? I am running Windows XP home.
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice.

jim

I have a d-link wired 4 port router ..there are two computers on the
wired network.

The wireless pci card is a Media 802.11g card.

I installed the wireless card in the main computer near my cable
modem...the wired network goes from the cable modem to the router then
to both computers.

Jim

Greg Lindsay [MSFT] wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> How many computers do you have, and which are you trying to connect via
> wireless? Which ones have wired access, and which one did you add the
> wireless PCI card to?
>
> --
> Greg Lindsay [MSFT]
> (E-Mail Removed)
>
> Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
> no rights.
>
> "jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >I am a newbie at wireless. I have had a wired network at home for
> > years...cable modem, 4 port router and extension hub...works great.
> > Bought a wireless pci card so that I would have some wireless access to
> > the network. It installed fine...but network connections shows the not
> > connected...I tried using the network bridge in connetions, that just
> > disconnected my wired connection, without affecting the wireless.
> >
> > What am I doing wrong? I am running Windows XP home.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any advice.

Greg Lindsay [MSFT]

If you only have the two computers, and they are both connected to the wired
network, then I don't understand why you need a wireless network.

If you have plans to add a 3rd computer that won't connect to the wired
network, or will only connect to the wired network some of the time, then
you can benefit from having a wireless network. In that case, you have two
choices:

1) Purchase a wireless access point router. Connect it to your wired
network and configure the wireless network. Then, configure each wireless
client computer for access.
2) Use Internet Connection Sharing (a.k.a. ad hoc wireless) to connect
client computers to your host computer. See the link below. You need to
have at least 2 computers with wireless adapters.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...mspx?pf=trueHi

I hope this helps!

--
Greg Lindsay [MSFT]
(E-Mail Removed)

no rights.

"jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I have a d-link wired 4 port router ..there are two computers on the
> wired network.
>
> The wireless pci card is a Media 802.11g card.
>
> I installed the wireless card in the main computer near my cable
> modem...the wired network goes from the cable modem to the router then
> to both computers.
>
> Jim
>

> Greg Lindsay [MSFT] wrote:
>> Hi Jim,
>>
>> How many computers do you have, and which are you trying to connect via
>> wireless? Which ones have wired access, and which one did you add the
>> wireless PCI card to?
>>
>> --
>> Greg Lindsay [MSFT]
>> (E-Mail Removed)
>>
>> Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
>> confers
>> no rights.
>>
>> "jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> >I am a newbie at wireless. I have had a wired network at home for
>> > years...cable modem, 4 port router and extension hub...works great.
>> > Bought a wireless pci card so that I would have some wireless access to
>> > the network. It installed fine...but network connections shows the not
>> > connected...I tried using the network bridge in connetions, that just
>> > disconnected my wired connection, without affecting the wireless.
>> >
>> > What am I doing wrong? I am running Windows XP home.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance for any advice.

jim

The reason I want a wireless access point...is so that 1)guests can use
my network and 2) I can access the network with my wifi phone

....I would think I could somehow link my wired network to the wireless
pci card in my computer...am I wrong?

jim

Greg Lindsay [MSFT] wrote:
> If you only have the two computers, and they are both connected to the wired
> network, then I don't understand why you need a wireless network.
>
> If you have plans to add a 3rd computer that won't connect to the wired
> network, or will only connect to the wired network some of the time, then
> you can benefit from having a wireless network. In that case, you have two
> choices:
>
> 1) Purchase a wireless access point router. Connect it to your wired
> network and configure the wireless network. Then, configure each wireless
> client computer for access.
> 2) Use Internet Connection Sharing (a.k.a. ad hoc wireless) to connect
> client computers to your host computer. See the link below. You need to
> have at least 2 computers with wireless adapters.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...mspx?pf=trueHi
>
> I hope this helps!
>
> --
> Greg Lindsay [MSFT]
> (E-Mail Removed)
>
> Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
> no rights.
>
> "jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >I have a d-link wired 4 port router ..there are two computers on the
> > wired network.
> >
> > The wireless pci card is a Media 802.11g card.
> >
> > I installed the wireless card in the main computer near my cable
> > modem...the wired network goes from the cable modem to the router then
> > to both computers.
> >
> > Jim
> >

> > Greg Lindsay [MSFT] wrote:
> >> Hi Jim,
> >>
> >> How many computers do you have, and which are you trying to connect via
> >> wireless? Which ones have wired access, and which one did you add the
> >> wireless PCI card to?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Greg Lindsay [MSFT]
> >> (E-Mail Removed)
> >>
> >> Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
> >> confers
> >> no rights.
> >>
> >> "jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

Greg Lindsay [MSFT]

The wireless adapter does not automatically give you a wireless network.
You have to either create an ad-hoc network as described in the link below,
or purchase an access point device.

Once you have the wireless network created with a network name (SSID), you
can begin connecting other devices to it.

--
Greg Lindsay [MSFT]
(E-Mail Removed)

no rights.

"jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> The reason I want a wireless access point...is so that 1)guests can use
> my network and 2) I can access the network with my wifi phone
>
> ...I would think I could somehow link my wired network to the wireless
> pci card in my computer...am I wrong?
>
> jim
>
> Greg Lindsay [MSFT] wrote:
>> If you only have the two computers, and they are both connected to the
>> wired
>> network, then I don't understand why you need a wireless network.
>>
>> If you have plans to add a 3rd computer that won't connect to the wired
>> network, or will only connect to the wired network some of the time, then
>> you can benefit from having a wireless network. In that case, you have
>> two
>> choices:
>>
>> 1) Purchase a wireless access point router. Connect it to your wired
>> network and configure the wireless network. Then, configure each
>> wireless
>> client computer for access.
>> 2) Use Internet Connection Sharing (a.k.a. ad hoc wireless) to connect
>> client computers to your host computer. See the link below. You need to
>> have at least 2 computers with wireless adapters.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...mspx?pf=trueHi
>>
>> I hope this helps!
>>
>> --
>> Greg Lindsay [MSFT]
>> (E-Mail Removed)
>>
>> Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
>> confers
>> no rights.
>>
>> "jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> >I have a d-link wired 4 port router ..there are two computers on the
>> > wired network.
>> >
>> > The wireless pci card is a Media 802.11g card.
>> >
>> > I installed the wireless card in the main computer near my cable
>> > modem...the wired network goes from the cable modem to the router then
>> > to both computers.
>> >
>> > Jim

jim

the instuctions in the Bowman article do not seem
applicable....clicking the x'd out icon does not bring up anything
simlar to that in the article and I cannot see how to set up an ad hoc
connection.

Greg Lindsay [MSFT] wrote:
> The wireless adapter does not automatically give you a wireless network.
> You have to either create an ad-hoc network as described in the link below,
> or purchase an access point device.
>
> Once you have the wireless network created with a network name (SSID), you
> can begin connecting other devices to it.
>
> --
> Greg Lindsay [MSFT]
> (E-Mail Removed)
>
> Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
> no rights.
>
> "jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > The reason I want a wireless access point...is so that 1)guests can use
> > my network and 2) I can access the network with my wifi phone
> >
> > ...I would think I could somehow link my wired network to the wireless
> > pci card in my computer...am I wrong?
> >
> > jim
> >
> > Greg Lindsay [MSFT] wrote:
> >> If you only have the two computers, and they are both connected to the
> >> wired
> >> network, then I don't understand why you need a wireless network.
> >>
> >> If you have plans to add a 3rd computer that won't connect to the wired
> >> network, or will only connect to the wired network some of the time, then
> >> you can benefit from having a wireless network. In that case, you have
> >> two
> >> choices:
> >>
> >> 1) Purchase a wireless access point router. Connect it to your wired
> >> network and configure the wireless network. Then, configure each
> >> wireless
> >> client computer for access.
> >> 2) Use Internet Connection Sharing (a.k.a. ad hoc wireless) to connect
> >> client computers to your host computer. See the link below. You need to
> >> have at least 2 computers with wireless adapters.
> >>
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...mspx?pf=trueHi
> >>
> >> I hope this helps!
> >>
> >> --
> >> Greg Lindsay [MSFT]
> >> (E-Mail Removed)
> >>
> >> Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
> >> confers
> >> no rights.
> >>
> >> "jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi

1. WIFI phone? To the best of my knowledge Wireless phones can connect to
Wireless 802.11b/g. http://www.ezlan.net/faq#terms

2. No matter what, to allow Network Wireless connections you need a Wireless
source and a Wireless client. Using two Wireless cards to make a connection
in Ad-Hoc mode (the Ms. Bowman page) is really not adequate when you already
have a Broadband connection and a Router. It might save you $10-$20 (The
cost of two Wireless cards as oppose to the cost of a Wireless Router and
one Wireless card), and would result in double Routing, unstable, inflexible
Network, and your guests would need to reconfigure their laptop's wireless
to Ad-Hoc as well.

The easiest way would be to replace your Router with a Wireless Cable/DSL
Router.

If you search over the weekend, you probably would find a Wireless Router on
sale for $20-$30.

Wireless Routers have 4 wired ports too, and after the initial configuration
your current system probably can be plugged into it as is.

The whole system should look like this,
http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg

A lot of info about Entry Level Wireless can be found here,
http://www.ezlan.net#Wireless

Jack (MVP-Networking).