Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Does Cisco 678 Modem Support PPPOE

Does Cisco 678 Modem Support PPPOE

Guy DeStefano

Sorry if this is not the place to ask. I am on Sprint / Earthlink.Net.
Currently have a SpeedStream DSL Modem. Will be receiving
a new Cisco 678 Modem. I want to replace the old DSL modem
with the 678. Have been told by Sprint that the modem
must support PPPOE. A long time ago, I ( Think ) I heard/read
that the 678 does not support PPPOE. Cannot find anything on their
website. Does anyone know for sure. Thanks in advance.

none

I don't think the 678 does PPPoE, but you can put it in bridged mode and use
a cable/DSL router (or 802.11b router/gateway) behind it to do the PPPoE.
You can probably get an 802.11b router/gateway for $25 or less.

Internet<--->678<-->cable/DSL router<-->Home LAN

"Guy DeStefano" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:L2pmd.1666$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> Sorry if this is not the place to ask. I am on Sprint / Earthlink.Net.
> Currently have a SpeedStream DSL Modem. Will be receiving
> a new Cisco 678 Modem. I want to replace the old DSL modem
> with the 678. Have been told by Sprint that the modem
> must support PPPOE. A long time ago, I ( Think ) I heard/read
> that the 678 does not support PPPOE. Cannot find anything on their
> website. Does anyone know for sure. Thanks in advance.

Guy DeStefano

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate any help.

My current setup is:

Internet<--->Speedstream(DSL)<--->Cisco PIX 501( W / Static IP
Addr )<--->Cisco 2950<--->( 5 Computers )

Everything works great. Will I have to make any changes to the PIX using
the 678?

The following is how the PIX was set while I was using dynamic IP addr.
Addresses etc, changed for display.

=====Begin Dynamic IP Set in PIX was===============
ip address outside pppoe setroute
ip address inside 999.999.999.999 255.255.255.0

vpdn group pppoe_group request dialout pppoe
vpdn group pppoe_group localname http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
vpdn group pppoe_group ppp authentication pap
vpdn username xxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxx password *********
dhcpd address 999.999.1.2-999.999.1.33 inside
dhcpd lease 3600
dhcpd ping_timeout 750
dhcpd auto_config outside
dhcpd enable inside

=====End Dynamic IP Set in PIX ==================

When I changed to static IP, all the above lines were replaced by below.

=====Begin Static IP Set in PIX is==================
ip address outside 999.999.999.999 255.255.255.0
ip address inside 999.999.999.999 255.255.255.0

=====End Static IP Set in PIX is==================

"none" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:drymd.141$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I don't think the 678 does PPPoE, but you can put it in bridged mode and

use
> a cable/DSL router (or 802.11b router/gateway) behind it to do the PPPoE.
> You can probably get an 802.11b router/gateway for $25 or less.
>

> Internet<--->678<-->cable/DSL router<-->Home LAN
>

> "Guy DeStefano" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:L2pmd.1666$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> > Sorry if this is not the place to ask. I am on Sprint / Earthlink.Net.
> > Currently have a SpeedStream DSL Modem. Will be receiving
> > a new Cisco 678 Modem. I want to replace the old DSL modem
> > with the 678. Have been told by Sprint that the modem
> > must support PPPOE. A long time ago, I ( Think ) I heard/read
> > that the 678 does not support PPPOE. Cannot find anything on their
> > website. Does anyone know for sure. Thanks in advance.

none

"Guy DeStefano" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:UEAmd.1497$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate any help.
>
> My current setup is:
>
> Internet<--->Speedstream(DSL)<--->Cisco PIX 501( W / Static IP
> Addr )<--->Cisco 2950<--->( 5 Computers )
>
> Everything works great. Will I have to make any changes to the PIX using
> the 678?

You shouldn't have to make any changes in the PIX - just set the 678 in 1483
bridged mode with the correct PVC.

My configuration is very similar except I have a Cisco 827 ADSL router on
the internet side of my PIX 501 and a Cisco 4500 on the inside - I currently
do PPoE in the PIX even though the 827 can do PPPoE - I may change it at
some point.

Guy DeStefano

Thanks again for the replies. Today I received the 678 modem.
Not really sure if I can make it work. I am on Sprint / DSL,
and the 678 modem was for Quest / DSL , company in California
bought the modems. I was able to telnet into the modem, it is new
and has software ver 2.4.1. I have seen somewhere that there is
a ver 2.4.2. I called Sprint and they told me it had to have PPPoE,
and a vpi of 8 . I tried to enter the vpi, and it states invalid, must be
between 0 and 3. I set a few things that I know of like
set ppp wan0-0 login and password, have really tried a lot of
things, but would not do anything. Please tell me, do you know if
the 827 will work with the Sprint system. Sprint told me that if
they did not install the modem, they would not offer any support.
One more question, please explain ( just set the 678 in 1483
> bridged mode with the correct PVC ). Sorry but I am a level

-1 with networking. Thanks again for your help.

"none" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:mYxnd.646$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Guy DeStefano" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:UEAmd.1497$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> > Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate any help.
> >
> > My current setup is:
> >
> > Internet<--->Speedstream(DSL)<--->Cisco PIX 501( W / Static IP
> > Addr )<--->Cisco 2950<--->( 5 Computers )
> >
> > Everything works great. Will I have to make any changes to the PIX

using
> > the 678?
> >

> You shouldn't have to make any changes in the PIX - just set the 678 in

1483
> bridged mode with the correct PVC.
>
> My configuration is very similar except I have a Cisco 827 ADSL router on
> the internet side of my PIX 501 and a Cisco 4500 on the inside - I

currently
> do PPoE in the PIX even though the 827 can do PPPoE - I may change it at
> some point.

none

Try the following - I googled and found this.

678# set bridging rfc1483 enabled
678# set bridging management enabled
678# set interface wan0-0 close
678# set interface wan0-0 vpi 0
678# set interface wan0-0 vci 8
678# set interface wan0-0 open
678# write
678# reboot

The PPP stuff you were setting is for PPPoA (PPP over ATM) not PPoE (PPP
over Ethernet).

You may need to clear the configuration before you perform the above
commands.

news:Wfynd.4202$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...