Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Thunderbird 1.5.0.5 Junk Mail

Thunderbird 1.5.0.5 Junk Mail

Robert Wegner

Hi,

i configured the Junk Mail Controls on all my accounts including the
local folders.
Sometimes if Junkmails arrive, the are moved correctly to the
Trash-folder (as i want it).
So far so good.
But sometimes Junkmails arrive, then they are being automatically moved
by the message-filters
to a local folder and the folder is marked as 'has new messages'.
When i click on that folder to see the mails they are marked as junk and
being moved to trash.

So it seems, somtimes the junkmail-filter is applied after they are
clicked at.

Is that a bug or did i someting wrong.

best regards, rob

Mozilla Champion (Dan)

Robert Wegner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i configured the Junk Mail Controls on all my accounts including the
> local folders.
> Sometimes if Junkmails arrive, the are moved correctly to the
> Trash-folder (as i want it).
> So far so good.
> But sometimes Junkmails arrive, then they are being automatically moved
> by the message-filters
> to a local folder and the folder is marked as 'has new messages'.
> When i click on that folder to see the mails they are marked as junk and
> being moved to trash.
>
> So it seems, somtimes the junkmail-filter is applied after they are
> clicked at.
>
> Is that a bug or did i someting wrong.
>
> best regards, rob

Junk Mail Controls only work in inboxes. IF you are moving a message
with a filter, it will NOT be considered by JMC.

Simple fix, dont filter junk mail! Refine your filter so that it doesnt
move junk or spam along with the good stuff

It is recommended that you DONT move spam directly to trash, a temporary
holding area (such as the 'Junk' folder) is much better, enabling you to
vet what JMC catches to ensure it IS all junk

Robert Wegner

Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:

> Junk Mail Controls only work in inboxes. IF you are moving a message
> with a filter, it will NOT be considered by JMC.

oh it does work. But the action (move to trash e.g.) for junkmails
are not applied, before i click on the folder the mail was moved to.

> Simple fix, dont filter junk mail! Refine your filter so that it doesnt
> move junk or spam along with the good stuff

How do i do that? There's no option "if status=junk" in the filters.
Neither seems TB set the junk status in the header so that i could
create a custom header-filter.

cu, rob

Mozilla Champion (Dan)

Robert Wegner wrote:
> Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
>

>> Junk Mail Controls only work in inboxes. IF you are moving a message
>> with a filter, it will NOT be considered by JMC.

> oh it does work. But the action (move to trash e.g.) for junkmails
> are not applied, before i click on the folder the mail was moved to.
>

>> Simple fix, dont filter junk mail! Refine your filter so that it
>> doesnt move junk or spam along with the good stuff

> How do i do that? There's no option "if status=junk" in the filters.
> Neither seems TB set the junk status in the header so that i could
> create a custom header-filter.
>
> cu, rob

If you move a message with a filter, then it is exempt from JMC checking.

No, you add elements to the filter so that it DOESNT pick up spam, since
filters are applied BEFORE JMC sees the message, it wont have a 'Junk'
header anyway.
If a filter is picking up good AND bad emails, then it isnt much of a
filter at all.

Why are you moving messages in the first place, if you didnt, then JMC
would catch them, perhaps you should rethink your filter strategy

Robert Wegner

Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:

> If you move a message with a filter, then it is exempt from JMC checking.
>

> No, you add elements to the filter so that it DOESNT pick up spam, since
> filters are applied BEFORE JMC sees the message, it wont have a 'Junk'
> header anyway.

look, i appreciate your help, but what you keep insisting on is simply
wrong.
Mails arrive, they are being moved by a filter to the folders (e.g. "Work").
When i select e.g. the folder "work", some of the mails beiing instantly
marked
as junk (correctly) and are moved to the junk folder.

The only thing i wanna know, is why they are only being moved when i select
the folder and not before, when they arrive. But i'm a little afraid you
can not
help me with that.

> Why are you moving messages in the first place, if you didnt, then JMC
> would catch them, perhaps you should rethink your filter strategy

What kind of question is that?
Why do people use folders and such things, instead of throwing all
letters and papers on one pile?

cu, rob

gwtc

Robert Wegner wrote:
> Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
>

>> If you move a message with a filter, then it is exempt from JMC checking.
>>

>> No, you add elements to the filter so that it DOESNT pick up spam,
>> since filters are applied BEFORE JMC sees the message, it wont have a
>> 'Junk' header anyway.

> look, i appreciate your help, but what you keep insisting on is simply
> wrong.
> Mails arrive, they are being moved by a filter to the folders (e.g.
> "Work").
> When i select e.g. the folder "work", some of the mails beiing instantly
> marked
> as junk (correctly) and are moved to the junk folder.
>
> The only thing i wanna know, is why they are only being moved when i select
> the folder and not before, when they arrive. But i'm a little afraid you
> can not
> help me with that.
>

>> Why are you moving messages in the first place, if you didnt, then JMC
>> would catch them, perhaps you should rethink your filter strategy

> What kind of question is that?
> Why do people use folders and such things, instead of throwing all
> letters and papers on one pile?
>
> cu, rob

Message Filters are acted upon first. Once Message Filters have been
applied, then no other filter is applied. If there is no filter for
that specific message, then the junk filter is applied.

--
Maxims for the Internet Age: You can't teach a new mouse old clicks.

Mozilla Champion (Dan)

Robert Wegner wrote:
> Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
>

>> If you move a message with a filter, then it is exempt from JMC checking.
>>

>> No, you add elements to the filter so that it DOESNT pick up spam,
>> since filters are applied BEFORE JMC sees the message, it wont have a
>> 'Junk' header anyway.

> look, i appreciate your help, but what you keep insisting on is simply
> wrong.
> Mails arrive, they are being moved by a filter to the folders (e.g.
> "Work").
> When i select e.g. the folder "work", some of the mails beiing instantly
> marked
> as junk (correctly) and are moved to the junk folder.
>
> The only thing i wanna know, is why they are only being moved when i select
> the folder and not before, when they arrive. But i'm a little afraid you
> can not
> help me with that.
>

>> Why are you moving messages in the first place, if you didnt, then JMC
>> would catch them, perhaps you should rethink your filter strategy

> What kind of question is that?
> Why do people use folders and such things, instead of throwing all
> letters and papers on one pile?
>
> cu, rob

Well if you are going to throw all the stuff in a pile, then you should
expect to get junk in there.

imho, the entire idea of a filter is to FILTER things so that only what
you want gets acted on. Otherwise, why filter it to move in the first
place? Leave it right where it was, and Junk Mail Controls will get the
spam for you.

i.e. Your inbox gets everything that is sent to it - good, bad or
indifferent. Why make an effort to move it all to some place else? Leave
it where it is, and just move the good stuff. Write a filter that ONLY
catches the good stuff