Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > FRITZ Box Fon

FRITZ Box Fon

Brian A

Ivor often recommends the FRITZ Box. I see that the ata/router sells
for about 80 ( or is it cheaper elsewhere?)

I am only familiar with the Sipuras. What I'd be interested to know is
whether the Fritz Box has a dial plan similar to the Sipuras or does
it use some other method of determining routing.
I checked out the pdf but, unless I missed it (it is a long document
to go through), I didn't see the relevant bit.

Further, is there provision for a number of outgoing providers or is
it limited to the same one used as incoming for a given line?

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Ivor Jones

"Brian A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> Ivor often recommends the FRITZ Box. I see that the
> ata/router sells for about 80 ( or is it cheaper
> elsewhere?)
>
> I am only familiar with the Sipuras. What I'd be
> interested to know is whether the Fritz Box has a dial
> plan similar to the Sipuras or does it use some other
> method of determining routing.

No, there is no dial plan as such, but you can specify that calls to
specific numbers, or all calls beginning with a certain prefix go via a
certain provider, be it a VoIP line or your BT line; for example you could
specify that all mobile numbers beginning 077/8/9 go via the provider that
has the cheapest calls for those numbers. You can specify that all 999
calls go out over the fixed line, given that most VoIP providers don't
support them.

> I checked out the pdf but, unless I missed it (it is a
> long document to go through), I didn't see the relevant
> bit.
>
> Further, is there provision for a number of outgoing
> providers or is it limited to the same one used as
> incoming for a given line?

You can have up to 10 independent SIP accounts with up to 10 providers.
The first two automatically appear on the two phone sockets (three in the
case of the WLAN 7050), the remainder require prefix codes to access for
outgoing calls. Incoming calls on any line can be made to ring on any or
all of the phone sockets.

It's the most plug & play device I've ever seen, I had mine up and running
literally within 5 minutes of opening the box, no port forwarding or
router configuring (beyond entering ISP and VoIP usernames and passwords)
required.

For those who *like* tinkering with dial plans, it's probably not for you,
but if you simply want something that you can plug in and forget, it's
hard to beat.

Ivor

Brian A

On Fri, 4 Aug 2006 02:44:24 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Brian A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)
>> Ivor often recommends the FRITZ Box. I see that the
>> ata/router sells for about 80 ( or is it cheaper
>> elsewhere?)
>>
>> I am only familiar with the Sipuras. What I'd be
>> interested to know is whether the Fritz Box has a dial
>> plan similar to the Sipuras or does it use some other
>> method of determining routing.

>No, there is no dial plan as such, but you can specify that calls to
>specific numbers, or all calls beginning with a certain prefix go via a
>certain provider, be it a VoIP line or your BT line; for example you could
>specify that all mobile numbers beginning 077/8/9 go via the provider that
>has the cheapest calls for those numbers. You can specify that all 999
>calls go out over the fixed line, given that most VoIP providers don't
>support them.
>
>> I checked out the pdf but, unless I missed it (it is a
>> long document to go through), I didn't see the relevant
>> bit.
>>
>> Further, is there provision for a number of outgoing
>> providers or is it limited to the same one used as
>> incoming for a given line?

>You can have up to 10 independent SIP accounts with up to 10 providers.
>The first two automatically appear on the two phone sockets (three in the
>case of the WLAN 7050), the remainder require prefix codes to access for
>outgoing calls. Incoming calls on any line can be made to ring on any or
>all of the phone sockets.
>
>It's the most plug & play device I've ever seen, I had mine up and running
>literally within 5 minutes of opening the box, no port forwarding or
>router configuring (beyond entering ISP and VoIP usernames and passwords)
>required.
>
>For those who *like* tinkering with dial plans, it's probably not for you,
>but if you simply want something that you can plug in and forget, it's
>hard to beat.
>
>Ivor

Sounds good. Thanks for your reply.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.