Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > No HD format war?

Reply
Thread Tools

No HD format war?

 
 
Tarkus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-02-2006
"Quite frankly, I don't believe there is a format war," said Mike Dunn,
president of Fox Home Entertainment, who are solely supporting Blu-ray.
"The HD DVD camp hasn't brought in enough consoles to form a beachhead. I
don't believe they intend to do so. We'll see Blu-ray start to take hold
this year."

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...efs_Future/156
--
"The blues isn't about feeling better. It's about making other
people feel WORSE, and making a few bucks while you're at it."

Now playing: "Opeth - The Baying of the Hounds"
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Kimba W. Lion
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-02-2006
Tarkus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Quite frankly, I don't believe there is a format war"


This announcement came as quite a shock--since Fox is solely supporting
Blu-Ray, everyone had expected him to say something good about HD_DVD.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Geena Phillips
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-02-2006
Tarkus wrote:
> "Quite frankly, I don't believe there is a format war," said Mike Dunn,
> president of Fox Home Entertainment, who are solely supporting Blu-ray.
> "The HD DVD camp hasn't brought in enough consoles to form a beachhead. I
> don't believe they intend to do so. We'll see Blu-ray start to take hold
> this year."
>
> http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...efs_Future/156


Isn't this the same studio that signed on for Divx and D-VHS? I don't
have an opinion about either HD-DVD OR Blu-Ray; but, based solely on
Fox's track record in the predictions department, one might worry about
Blu-Ray's future.

--
--
Well, whaddaya know? War WAS the answer, after all. Go figure.

A lone Micronaut lost in a world of Star Wars action figures,
(The Excessively Parenthetical) Geena-- Worrier Princess

"Reciprocity... is the key to every relationship."
--LAPD Capt. Dudley Smith (James Cromwell), in L.A. Confidential

"Andy Warhol once said that everyone would be famous for fifteen
minutes. The unfortunate corollary is that everyone will also appear in
a Freddie Prinze, Jr. movie for fifteen minutes."
--me

"This is like driving a Rolls Royce, naked, in mink underpants."
--Tony Bourdain

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it
helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons,
but at the very least you need a beer."
-- Frank Zappa

"I'm not sayin' it's the best thing in the world FOR ya; I'm just sayin'
it's the best thing in the world."
-- Alton Brown

"The most preposterous notion that H. sapiens has ever dreamed up is
that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes,
wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their
prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet
this absurd fantasy, without a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all
the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in
all history."
-- Robert Heinlein
 
Reply With Quote
 
Derek Janssen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-02-2006
Geena Phillips wrote:

> Tarkus wrote:
>
>> "Quite frankly, I don't believe there is a format war," said Mike Dunn,
>> president of Fox Home Entertainment, who are solely supporting Blu-ray.
>> "The HD DVD camp hasn't brought in enough consoles to form a beachhead. I
>> don't believe they intend to do so. We'll see Blu-ray start to take hold
>> this year."
>>
>> http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...efs_Future/156
>>

>
>
> Isn't this the same studio that signed on for Divx and D-VHS? I don't
> have an opinion about either HD-DVD OR Blu-Ray; but, based solely on
> Fox's track record in the predictions department, one might worry about
> Blu-Ray's future.


Yes, *and* the other overpriced/bare-bones "$39 for a label"
birth-of-DVD studio, during the days of the Disney Limited Editions...

I don't know a thing about HD, but with statements like these, HD-DVD is
starting to look better already.

Derek Janssen
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
 
Reply With Quote
 
firstnamespacelastname@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-02-2006
dunn is spewing typical corporate bravado. no one knows which format
will pan out; it's all pure speculation at this point.

i must say that both discs hit the street way too early. there may be
interest in them, but demand is a serious overstatement. consider the
fraction of folks that have hd sets, then pare that down to those who
actually have an hd signal feeding the unit. digerati aside, people
will be hard pressed to find the benefits of either format.

this format war has just begun and is likely to continue for quite some
time. and let's not forget about fios' eventual offering of an hd
on-demand catalog. don't get me wrong hd-dvd and blu-ray both look
great, but i really do think the ce industry jumped the gun on this
one, and they risk tanking both formats by not waiting for the public
at-large to "get" hdtv and in turn get an hdtv.

 
Reply With Quote
 
David Z
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-02-2006
"Geena Phillips" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Tarkus wrote:
>> "Quite frankly, I don't believe there is a format war," said Mike Dunn,
>> president of Fox Home Entertainment, who are solely supporting Blu-ray.
>> "The HD DVD camp hasn't brought in enough consoles to form a beachhead. I
>> don't believe they intend to do so. We'll see Blu-ray start to take hold
>> this year."
>>
>> http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...efs_Future/156

>
> Isn't this the same studio that signed on for Divx and D-VHS? I don't have
> an opinion about either HD-DVD OR Blu-Ray; but, based solely on Fox's
> track record in the predictions department, one might worry about
> Blu-Ray's future.


FOX never commited to DVD until 1999. Same year as Paramount.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Phat Bytestard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-02-2006
On 2 Aug 2006 01:15:38 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) Gave
us:

>
>i must say that both discs hit the street way too early. there may be
>interest in them, but demand is a serious overstatement. consider the
>fraction of folks that have hd sets, then pare that down to those who
>actually have an hd signal feeding the unit. digerati aside, people
>will be hard pressed to find the benefits of either format.



That is stupid. If one HAS an HDTV set, the HD PLAYER WILL pass an
HD signal to it.

You have only parred down your brain.
 
Reply With Quote
 
elrous0@pop.uky.edu
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-07-2006
David Z wrote:
> FOX never commited to DVD until 1999. Same year as Paramount.


Took them two years to come onboard and their first releases were all
****, too. When it comes to technological predictions, Fox and
Paramount are the Beavis and Butthead in the classroom.

-Eric

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Money Format + Decimal Place Format shannon Java 1 02-02-2006 03:47 PM
Money Format + Decimal Place Format shannon Java 0 02-01-2006 10:02 PM
need code to convert float format to internal java float format which is kept in 4 bytes integer Andy Java 7 05-10-2004 09:26 PM
NTFS quick format and normal format Guan Foo Wah MCSE 2 05-08-2004 11:35 PM
Date Format - best way of converting a string into a date format Brian Candy ASP .Net 2 02-18-2004 02:13 PM



Advertisments