Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > I'm confused / skype / voip / sipgate

Reply
Thread Tools

I'm confused / skype / voip / sipgate

 
 
The Invalid
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-06-2006
On Fri, 4 Aug 2006 11:54:33 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Brian A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)
>
>[snip]
>
>> The only thing that Skype does, that SIP VoIP currently
>> doesn't, is video. Doubtless that will come, we'll all be
>> buying cordless phones with video - or perhaps using our
>> mobile phones on WiFi to access video calls.

>
>Sipgate were experimenting with it at this year's CeBit exhibition in
>Germany. There was a video clip of it on the site but it seems
>to have disappeared. It looked to work well but I don't know how much the
>phones were..!
>
>Personally, video is the last thing I want in a phone call. For business
>calls I suppose it might have a place, but do you really want people to
>see you when you've just got out of the bath to answer the phone..?!
>
>Ivor

The don't turn the camera on, fool.
Skype Video is ideal for home and family use.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ivor Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-06-2006


"The Invalid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> On Fri, 4 Aug 2006 11:54:33 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:


[snip]

> > Personally, video is the last thing I want in a phone
> > call. For business calls I suppose it might have a
> > place, but do you really want people to see you when
> > you've just got out of the bath to answer the phone..?!
> >
> > Ivor

> The don't turn the camera on, fool.


No need to be insulting.

> Skype Video is ideal for home and family use.


If you like that sort of thing (Skype).

Ivor


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
The Iceman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-08-2006

"Ivor Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> {Snip!}
>
> Personally, video is the last thing I want in a phone call. For business
> calls I suppose it might have a place, but do you really want people to
> see you when you've just got out of the bath to answer the phone..?!
>
> Ivor
>


If you spend all your time phoning some top bird then I can see the
advantage, but if all your friends are mingers then video is to be
discouraged!


 
Reply With Quote
 
The Invalid
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-08-2006
On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 19:53:26 +0100, "The Iceman"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>"Ivor Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> {Snip!}
>>
>> Personally, video is the last thing I want in a phone call. For business
>> calls I suppose it might have a place, but do you really want people to
>> see you when you've just got out of the bath to answer the phone..?!
>>
>> Ivor
>>

>
>If you spend all your time phoning some top bird then I can see the
>advantage, but if all your friends are mingers then video is to be
>discouraged!
>

So you don't use it then ?

 
Reply With Quote
 
Darren J Longhorn
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-08-2006
On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 09:52:16 GMT, Brian A
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The only thing that Skype does, that SIP VoIP currently doesn't, is
>video. Doubtless that will come,


It's already here:
http://www.shop.bt.com/invt/ccs102

 
Reply With Quote
 
paul123
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-08-2006

Brian A wrote:
> The only thing that Skype does, that SIP VoIP currently doesn't, is
> video. Doubtless that will come, we'll all be buying cordless phones
> with video - or perhaps using our mobile phones on WiFi to access
> video calls.


Kapanga is SIP based and does video - www.kapanga.net
Ditto for Wengo - www.wengo.com (they'll also give you 2 worth of
credit to try out their service)

 
Reply With Quote
 
paul123
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-08-2006

Darren J Longhorn wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 09:52:16 GMT, Brian A
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >The only thing that Skype does, that SIP VoIP currently doesn't, is
> >video. Doubtless that will come,

>
> It's already here:
> http://www.shop.bt.com/invt/ccs102


Had a look at that. Is it definitely SIP based? Or H323?

 
Reply With Quote
 
Darren J Longhorn
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-08-2006
On 8 Aug 2006 14:07:49 -0700, "paul123" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>Darren J Longhorn wrote:
>> On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 09:52:16 GMT, Brian A
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >The only thing that Skype does, that SIP VoIP currently doesn't, is
>> >video. Doubtless that will come,

>>
>> It's already here:
>> http://www.shop.bt.com/invt/ccs102

>
>Had a look at that. Is it definitely SIP based? Or H323?


Definitely SIP.

 
Reply With Quote
 
The Iceman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-08-2006

"The Invalid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 19:53:26 +0100, "The Iceman"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>
>>"Ivor Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> {Snip!}
>>>
>>> Personally, video is the last thing I want in a phone call. For business
>>> calls I suppose it might have a place, but do you really want people to
>>> see you when you've just got out of the bath to answer the phone..?!
>>>
>>> Ivor
>>>

>>
>>If you spend all your time phoning some top bird then I can see the
>>advantage, but if all your friends are mingers then video is to be
>>discouraged!
>>

> So you don't use it then ?
>


Correct! 8^O


 
Reply With Quote
 
paul123
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-08-2006

Darren J Longhorn wrote:
> On 8 Aug 2006 14:07:49 -0700, "paul123" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >
> >Darren J Longhorn wrote:
> >> On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 09:52:16 GMT, Brian A
> >> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >>
> >> >The only thing that Skype does, that SIP VoIP currently doesn't, is
> >> >video. Doubtless that will come,
> >>
> >> It's already here:
> >> http://www.shop.bt.com/invt/ccs102

> >
> >Had a look at that. Is it definitely SIP based? Or H323?

>
> Definitely SIP.


OK. Cool.

There's also the Grandstream GXV-3000.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
confused about skype? (skype-in?) gaikokujinkyofusho@gmail.com VOIP 1 04-12-2005 03:06 PM



Advertisments