Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Ip helper-address and pxe-client

Ip helper-address and pxe-client

oliver.kohtz@rewe-touristik.com

Hello,
we have got the problem:

we have a cat.4506 just as layer 2 access-switch with a trunk to a
c6513, which has a hsrp router interface with two ip helper-address
entries.

The pxe client is not able to get an ip from the dhcp server. In
Windows you directly get an ip without any problems.
The pxe-client gets a timeout.

In a trace we made on the interface of the server we see, that the
server sends an offer directed to the client, but this offer is not
processed by the router and seems to be dropped.

Does anyone know, how ios handles two ip helper entries and what
happens to replies of servers when they arrive at the router interface?

Greetings

Olli

Martin Gallagher

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 06:16:11 -0700, oliver.kohtz wrote:

> Does anyone know, how ios handles two ip helper entries and what

Requests are forwarded to both helper addresses.

> happens to replies of servers when they arrive at the router interface?

Generally they are broadcast on the appropriate interface so the client
gets the response.

The interface configuration, debug ip udp, and debug ip dhcp server
pactket from the router would be useful.

--
Rgds,
Martin