Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > VHDL designer's toolkit

VHDL designer's toolkit

Nicolas Matringe

Hi all
I am preparing myself a CD of free tools & documentation to bring along
with me when I have to work at client's facilities.

At the moment, I have gathered
- emacs + VHDL mode
- a Windows port of Un*x utilities (especially make)
- the VHDL.hlp file from ...
- VHDL 2000 LRM

What's missing ? What would you add ?

Nicolas

Mike Treseler

Nicolas Matringe wrote:
> Hi all
> I am preparing myself a CD of free tools & documentation to bring along
> with me when I have to work at client's facilities.
>
> At the moment, I have gathered
> - emacs + VHDL mode
> - a Windows port of Un*x utilities (especially make)
> - the VHDL.hlp file from ...
> - VHDL 2000 LRM
>
> What's missing ? What would you add ?

I couldn't do much debugging without a simulator
hooked up to vhdl-mode.

-- Mike Treseler

Nicolas Matringe

Sorry for using Google's service, There seems to be a problem with my
provider's server.

Mike Treseler a écrit :

> Nicolas Matringe wrote:
> > Hi all
> > I am preparing myself a CD of free tools & documentation to bring along
> > with me when I have to work at client's facilities.
> >
> > At the moment, I have gathered
> > - emacs + VHDL mode
> > - a Windows port of Un*x utilities (especially make)
> > - the VHDL.hlp file from ...
> > - VHDL 2000 LRM
> >
> > What's missing ? What would you add ?

> I couldn't do much debugging without a simulator
> hooked up to vhdl-mode.

So what would you recommend ?
I unfortunately don't have much time to learn new tools so I stick to
ModelSi but I might have time later ...

Colin Marquardt sent me his suggestions :
> ghdl.free.fr, gtkwave, the new IEEE packages for fixed and floating
> point arithmetic, the http://bear.ces.cwru.edu/vhdl/ packages, Ben
> Cohen's packages, the handbook from http://www.hardi.com/vhdl.htm,
> maybe stuff from http://www.opencores.org/projects.cg...opentech/about,
> maybe octave (Matlab-like tool).

Nicolas

Mike Treseler

Nicolas Matringe wrote:

>> I couldn't do much debugging without a simulator
>> hooked up to vhdl-mode.

> So what would you recommend ?
> I unfortunately don't have much time to learn new tools so I stick to
> ModelSim but I might have time later ...

Just having vcom lets me use
vhdl-compile which jumps to syntax errors.

vsim would require a license server connection
or a dongle -- a problem at a client site.
I haven't yet found an easier way that works
reliably however.

-- Mike Treseler

Jim_B

I cannot do any coding without vim

Nicolas Matringe wrote:
> Hi all
> I am preparing myself a CD of free tools & documentation to bring along
> with me when I have to work at client's facilities.
>
> At the moment, I have gathered
> - emacs + VHDL mode
> - a Windows port of Un*x utilities (especially make)
> - the VHDL.hlp file from ...
> - VHDL 2000 LRM
>
> What's missing ? What would you add ?
>
> Nicolas

Mark McDougall

Jim_B wrote:

> I cannot do any coding without vim

VIM? Emacs? Why don't you both chop of one of your hands just to make it
even more challenging!?!

Regards,

--
Mark McDougall, Engineer
21-25 King St, Rockdale, 2216

ghelbig@lycos.com

The two things I always carry to the client site:
1) A laptop pre-loaded with all my favorite tools.
2) A big USB flash drive.

An x-server is nice to have on the laptop.

Martin Thompson

Mark McDougall <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Jim_B wrote:
>
> > I cannot do any coding without vim

> VIM? Emacs? Why don't you both chop of one of your hands just to make it
> even more challenging!?!

I'm not sure I can imagine Emacsing with only one hand - I use one
hand for the control keys and another for the letters

Cheers,
Martin

http://www.trw.com/conekt

Nicolas Matringe

Jim_B a écrit :
> I cannot do any coding without vim

I thought I heard a troll coming ...

Nicolas

VHDL 2002 vs VHDL 1993 dude VHDL 1 03-23-2006 01:18 PM
multiD-vhdl: Multi Dimensional Arrays (allowing generics on each dimension) for VHDL (including ports) albert.neu@gmail.com VHDL 2 03-21-2006 04:05 PM
vhdl toolkit without micro$oft? Jesper C VHDL 4 10-06-2003 08:41 AM
what's the difference between VHDL 93 CONCATENATION and VHDL 87 CONCATENATION? walala VHDL 3 09-18-2003 04:17 AM

Advertisments