Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > New laptop will not assign ip

New laptop will not assign ip

crs

I recently purchased a new acer aspire 5672 WLMi
When I attempt to connect to our wireless network, it gets stuck trying
to assign an ip address. It does connect to the network, but there is
not any internet connectivity.
Even if I manually assign an ip that is supposed to work on the
network, it doesn't allow me internet access. I can access other local
computers and printers, just not the internet. I have an acer
travelmate 4650 and when I use it (with the same exact settings as on
the aspire) I have no problems....
Does anyone have any suggestions before I take it to the dealer?

thanks,

Clay

Jack

Hi
If you can connect to other devices, you must have a Network, thus it is
probably not be an IP isue per-se. New Laptop some times have Bizzare
manfacturuer configurations.
Take a look at these pages may be you would find something tht would help.
http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
Wireless, Basic Configuration: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"crs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I recently purchased a new acer aspire 5672 WLMi
> When I attempt to connect to our wireless network, it gets stuck trying
> to assign an ip address. It does connect to the network, but there is
> not any internet connectivity.
> Even if I manually assign an ip that is supposed to work on the
> network, it doesn't allow me internet access. I can access other local
> computers and printers, just not the internet. I have an acer
> travelmate 4650 and when I use it (with the same exact settings as on
> the aspire) I have no problems....
> Does anyone have any suggestions before I take it to the dealer?
>
> thanks,
>
> Clay

crs

Thanks for the quick response,

Turns out, it was a corrupt winsock key. i'm not really sure how that
could've happened on a "out-of-the-box" computer, but it did
nonetheless. Again, thanks for your help.

Clay
Jack wrote:
> Hi
> If you can connect to other devices, you must have a Network, thus it is
> probably not be an IP isue per-se. New Laptop some times have Bizzare
> manfacturuer configurations.
> Take a look at these pages may be you would find something tht would help.
> http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
> Wireless, Basic Configuration: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "crs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> >I recently purchased a new acer aspire 5672 WLMi
> > When I attempt to connect to our wireless network, it gets stuck trying
> > to assign an ip address. It does connect to the network, but there is
> > not any internet connectivity.
> > Even if I manually assign an ip that is supposed to work on the
> > network, it doesn't allow me internet access. I can access other local
> > computers and printers, just not the internet. I have an acer
> > travelmate 4650 and when I use it (with the same exact settings as on
> > the aspire) I have no problems....
> > Does anyone have any suggestions before I take it to the dealer?
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > Clay

=?Utf-8?B?VGFtcGFUZWs=?=

I was curious to see if you pinged your loop back 127.0.0.1? I wanted to
know what kind of error you got if you did?