Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > OPPO DV-970HD ?

OPPO DV-970HD ?

Mike

This unit gets good reviews. http://www.oppodigital.com/OPPO-News.html
anyone have any first hand knowledge/experiences? I am particularly
interested in video performance via the component outputs. Thanks.

robert.drea@gmail.com

Mike wrote:
> This unit gets good reviews. http://www.oppodigital.com/OPPO-News.html
> anyone have any first hand knowledge/experiences? I am particularly
> interested in video performance via the component outputs. Thanks.

I bought one recently. I'd been looking for something that plays
_everything_, has no layer change delay, and good image quality.

I believe that the upsampling functionality only works via HDMI, rather
than component. So admittedly I have not really spent much time with
component on this unit.

However - a few other points which may be of interest...

-The upsampling does make a discernable difference, but only with
'reference' type stuff like 5th Element, and likely stuff like Pixar
flicks, where there's lots of really precise images.

-720p looks good - 1080i - not sure; I think I'm seeing the interlacing
taking place. Certainly not much benefit of 1080 over 720, for a non-HD
source.

-With every player I've used so far, I have had to change an aspect
ratio setting on the TV each time I put in a widescreen disk. With this
player, using the HDMI interface, it seems to lock into the correct
aspect, saving me that step. I'll try it with shows I know to be of
different aspect ratios, to be sure.

-Plays everything I've thrown at it, so far. One Divx file showed
occasional graphical corruption, and the artifacting looked a little
stronger than on my Pioneer player - but I realized later on that I'd
neglected to set the brightness and contrast on my TV for that
particular input (these settings are not global on my TV), so it was
really set rather bright. This was likely part of the issue there, at
least for the artifacting - I'll have to try more DivX stuff to see
about the corruption.

-One Divx file had two types of subtitle files in the directory (.sub
and .srt, I think) - whenever a bit of sub text appeared, the screen
went nuts. Completely scrambled. On another Divx file, which had only
one type of subtitle file, the display was fine and the subtitles
worked. Have to nail that one down yet.

-Plays Dual Layer +R disks. SWEET. When I did the burn (Batman
Returns), the software griped that I hadn't actively assigned a layer
change point. But, I noticed no change delay at all on playback.

-Normally when I power off a player, the tray retracts on its own. Not
in this case. The tray just sat stuck out. Weird. Retracts fine if I
hit the 'tray' button, but the power-off doesn't pull it back in.
Mildly weird. Could be a firmware thing.

-Fast forward, until you go to about 8x, appears to catch almost every
frame - so it feels very smooth, rather than jerky like in most
players, updating every quarter-second or whatever.

-There are also regularly-updated supported firmwares, and a
non-supported community as well. Last rev was in March of this year. So
people are still tweaking it. I thought I'd read that this unit might
see 1080p with an upcoming firmware, but who knows - and again, for
non-HD, I can see no difference between 720 and 1080.

-All in all, I'm happy.

Bill's News

> Mike wrote:
>> This unit gets good reviews.
>> http://www.oppodigital.com/OPPO-News.html anyone have any
>> first hand
>> knowledge/experiences? I am particularly interested in video
>> performance via the component outputs. Thanks.

> I bought one recently. I'd been looking for something that
> plays
> _everything_, has no layer change delay, and good image
> quality.
>
> I believe that the upsampling functionality only works via
> HDMI,
> rather than component. So admittedly I have not really spent
> much
> time with component on this unit.
>
> However - a few other points which may be of interest...
>
> -The upsampling does make a discernable difference, but only
> with
> 'reference' type stuff like 5th Element, and likely stuff like
> Pixar
> flicks, where there's lots of really precise images.
>
> -720p looks good - 1080i - not sure; I think I'm seeing the
> interlacing taking place. Certainly not much benefit of 1080
> over
> 720, for a non-HD source.

Being relatively new to this myself, I have a question regarding
this statement:
Wouldn't the native resolution of the screen prevail here? If
one has a 720p screen, then that should be the resizing
specified, if one has a 1080p screen, then 1080i should be the
minimum targeted. Otherwise, the 720 image would have to be
resized by the display?

So far, I'm only able to fiddle with this sort of stuff via the
Motorola cable-HDVR and there is no way that having that box
output non-HD material at 720p looks as good as 1080i on a
Westinghouse 42" 1920x1080p display. As a result of this
observation I exclude 720 from the HDVR's knowledge of the
display.

The OPPO I've ordered should be here soon, so I guess I can know
the answer then, as far as that device combination goes?

> -With every player I've used so far, I have had to change an
> aspect
> ratio setting on the TV each time I put in a widescreen disk.
> With
> this player, using the HDMI interface, it seems to lock into
> the
> correct aspect, saving me that step. I'll try it with shows I
> know to
> be of different aspect ratios, to be sure.
>
> -Plays everything I've thrown at it, so far. One Divx file
> showed
> occasional graphical corruption, and the artifacting looked a
> little
> stronger than on my Pioneer player - but I realized later on
> that I'd
> neglected to set the brightness and contrast on my TV for that
> particular input (these settings are not global on my TV), so
> it was
> really set rather bright. This was likely part of the issue
> there, at
> least for the artifacting - I'll have to try more DivX stuff
> to see
> about the corruption.
>
> -One Divx file had two types of subtitle files in the
> directory (.sub
> and .srt, I think) - whenever a bit of sub text appeared, the
> screen
> went nuts. Completely scrambled. On another Divx file, which
> had only
> one type of subtitle file, the display was fine and the
> subtitles
> worked. Have to nail that one down yet.
>
> -Plays Dual Layer +R disks. SWEET. When I did the burn (Batman
> Returns), the software griped that I hadn't actively assigned
> a layer
> change point. But, I noticed no change delay at all on
> playback.
>
> -Normally when I power off a player, the tray retracts on its
> own. Not
> in this case. The tray just sat stuck out. Weird. Retracts
> fine if I
> hit the 'tray' button, but the power-off doesn't pull it back
> in.
> Mildly weird. Could be a firmware thing.
>
> -Fast forward, until you go to about 8x, appears to catch
> almost every
> frame - so it feels very smooth, rather than jerky like in
> most
> players, updating every quarter-second or whatever.
>
> -There are also regularly-updated supported firmwares, and a
> non-supported community as well. Last rev was in March of this
> year.
> So people are still tweaking it. I thought I'd read that this
> unit
> might see 1080p with an upcoming firmware, but who knows - and
> again,
> for non-HD, I can see no difference between 720 and 1080.
>
> -All in all, I'm happy.

Thanks for the rest of the info regarding the OPPO too.

Alpha

"Bill's News" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44cf6e46$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

>> -Normally when I power off a player, the tray retracts on its own. Not
>> in this case. The tray just sat stuck out. Weird. Retracts fine if I
>> hit the 'tray' button, but the power-off doesn't pull it back in.
>> Mildly weird. Could be a firmware thing.
>>
>> -Fast forward, until you go to about 8x, appears to catch almost every
>> frame - so it feels very smooth, rather than jerky like in most
>> players, updating every quarter-second or whatever.
>>
>> -There are also regularly-updated supported firmwares, and a
>> non-supported community as well. Last rev was in March of this year.
>> So people are still tweaking it. I thought I'd read that this unit
>> might see 1080p with an upcoming firmware, but who knows - and again,
>> for non-HD, I can see no difference between 720 and 1080.
>>
>> -All in all, I'm happy.

> Thanks for the rest of the info regarding the OPPO too.

I would note that there are very many reports, with or without an OPPO, that
most cannot see the difference between 720p and 1080....and not at all even
on close inspection between 1080i and 1080p using HD DVD or Blu Ray sources.

Bill's News

Alpha wrote:
> "Bill's News" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:44cf6e46$(E-Mail Removed)...

<snip>

> I would note that there are very many reports, with or without
> an
> OPPO, that most cannot see the difference between 720p and
> 1080....and not at all even on close inspection between 1080i
> and
> 1080p using HD DVD or Blu Ray sources.

Thanks Alpha, it is all very subjective, eh?

Having only the Motorola DVR supplied by the cable company with
which to set the vertical lines being sent to the display I'll
say this regarding viewing on a 1080p display: 720p seems less
satisfactory (though I can't find a word to describe why), when
compared with different segments of the same digital broadcast
at 1080i . This is why I jump to the conclusion that
up-converting to native screen size only is the right method.

Also, since I presently use a PC as my DVD and MPEG2 capture
player, I can state unequivocally that DVDs at 1080p are
noticeably better than digital TV channels (720x480) upscaled by
the Motorola. Of particular interest is how much better the
captures on the PC appear when compared with playback of the
same material from the Motorola. So I jump to the conclusion
that algorithms differ.

Obviously this does not speak well of the Motorola's resizing,
which I thought was quite satisfactory before installing a
modest ATI PCI card for 1920x1080p. I have no complaint
whatever regarding the Motorola playback of HDTV recordings
though I have yet to even see a BR or HD DVD player showing
video on a 1920x1080 native display (I close my eyes in that
section of BestBuy;-0) So my comments are limited to the
equipment described.

I'm not expecting the OPPO to surpass playback quality from the
PC, only to surpass that of the Buffalo LT which was
disappointing in comparison. Not to mention that neither the
Motorola nor the Buffalo resizes letterbox to 1920x1080 - an
irritation that may color other perceptions ;-0)

BD

> Wouldn't the native resolution of the screen prevail here? If

The 'native' resolution may well prevail, but I'm not convinced that
HD-ready displays _have_ one native resolution. They display 480, 540,
720 or 1080 - depending on what the input is.

Granted, I'm speaking based on what I own, which is a rear-projection
TV - an analog device, really.

LCDs or Plasmas may be different in this regard.

Regardless - I can see subtle differences between 540 and 720 with
non-HD source, but only _very_ subtle. So really, the upsampling is not
an earth-shaker.

Joshua Zyber

"BD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> The 'native' resolution may well prevail, but I'm not convinced that
> HD-ready displays _have_ one native resolution. They display 480, 540,
> 720 or 1080 - depending on what the input is.
>
> Granted, I'm speaking based on what I own, which is a rear-projection
> TV - an analog device, really.
>
> LCDs or Plasmas may be different in this regard.

Analog CRT displays can sync to different resolutions, but all digital
panels (LCD, DLP, plasma, LCOS, etc.) are fixed-pixel devices. They have
one and only one native resolution. Any other resolution input into the
display will be scaled to that native resolution.

Bill's News

Bill's News wrote:
> Alpha wrote:

<snip>

> I'm not expecting the OPPO to surpass playback quality from
> the
> PC, only to surpass that of the Buffalo LT which was
> disappointing in comparison. Not to mention that neither the
> Motorola nor the Buffalo resizes letterbox to 1920x1080 - an
> irritation that may color other perceptions ;-0)

Just arrived, 5 days ahead of Amazon's estimated arrival date.

with DVI set to 1080i

the first thing i compared was an xvid file converted from an
MPEG2 capture via S-Video of a 1.8 letterbox digital channel,
frame size 704x400, bit rate 2.192 mbps, converted with average
motion scanning. I chose this because i had a copy on DVD and
on the PC so I could toggle between them as they played the same
scenes. The OPPO produces a perceptibly better image, I'd say
as much as 10% better if I can adequately assign a value? And
the PC outputs at 1080p.

Next a DVD which is also letterbox at 2:35 appeared better than
the PC by a about the same value. This is further supported by
zooming the image to 1.8 in which case the image quality was
pretty much undisturbed on the OPPO while this is not the case
on the PC.

In addition to the improved picture quality the OPPO player's
scaling strategy is considerably smarter than the Buffalo LT, in
that letterbox 640x480 is properly displayed on a 1920x1080
display AND zooming works properly in addition. Another nice
feature of the zoom is that fast-forward or chapter navigation
does not reset it, rather the setting remains and speeded play
appears in the zoomed state. I haven't tested layer change yet,
which always caused the Buffalo to reset.

OPPO's Xvid fast forward is superb compared when with the PC and
especially with the Buffalo. One difference between OPPO and
Buffalo is that the OPPO reads navigation data when loading the
file, the Buffalo only at first navigation request - however the
OPPO's data collection is much quicker than the Buffalo giving
it two thumbs up.

The OPPO is definitely a keeper

BTW, setting DVI to each of 540, 720, and 1080 produces a
perceptible quality change here on a 1920x1080p monitor.
Matching the native resolution is the only way to go with this
pairing.

The next time one of the HD movie channels presents a film which
I have on DVD I'll compare them. I've always had the feeling
that cable channel HD movies are just DVD quality scaled up. I
suppose, if that's true, that it will change now that HD
mastering for BR & HD DVD has started?

Joshua Zyber

"Bill's News" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The next time one of the HD movie channels presents a film which I
> have on DVD I'll compare them. I've always had the feeling that cable
> channel HD movies are just DVD quality scaled up.

Sorry, not true.

Bill's News

Joshua Zyber wrote:
> "Bill's News" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The next time one of the HD movie channels presents a film
>> which I
>> have on DVD I'll compare them. I've always had the feeling
>> that
>> cable channel HD movies are just DVD quality scaled up.

> Sorry, not true.

Of course it's true, I have had the feeling!

If you mean instead that the HD movie channels are using HD
mastered copies of the films and then down-scaling to MPEG2 at
16 or so mbps, then I'm happy to know that, if you can provide
some authority to back up your statement.

OPPO DV-970HD ? Mike DVD Video 9 08-31-2006 11:05 PM
OPPO DV-970HD ? Mike DVD Video 1 07-31-2006 09:11 PM
OPPO OPDV971H DVD Player Ed Kim DVD Video 4 05-19-2005 04:33 AM
OPPO OPDV971H DVD Player Ed Kim DVD Video 0 05-06-2005 09:02 PM
OPPO PODV971H DVD Player Ed Kim DVD Video 0 05-06-2005 08:21 PM

Advertisments