Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > HSRP group IDs.

HSRP group IDs.

John Stewart

In a 6500 with dual Sup1A+MSFC running HSRP, which is considered best
practice for the HSRP group ID:

1) Use a separate ID for each VLAN
2) Use the same ID for all VLANs.
3) Doesn't matter.

I know there is a limit of 256 IDs for the SUP1A but we're only
talking about 50 vlans in the whole configuration.

Ivan Ostreš

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
> In a 6500 with dual Sup1A+MSFC running HSRP, which is considered best
> practice for the HSRP group ID:
>
> 1) Use a separate ID for each VLAN
> 2) Use the same ID for all VLANs.
> 3) Doesn't matter.
>
> I know there is a limit of 256 IDs for the SUP1A but we're only
> talking about 50 vlans in the whole configuration.

I don't know if it's best practice or not, but I always use separate ID
for each VLAN that is the same as VLAN_ID.

There's some more to consider.... when you do not directly specify
virtual mac-address, it will always look like this:

0000.0c07.acXX

where XX is the standby group number. So if you use standby 10, you will
get virtual mac as: 0000.0c07.ac0a ( a = HEX (10)).

HTH,

--
-Ivan.

mh

Using a separate HSRP group id for each VLAN is a good practise.

When you are inspecting the MAC-address table you will see a discrete
virtual MAC address for each HSRP virtual IP address

John Stewart

> Using a separate HSRP group id for each VLAN is a good practise.

We use a subnetted network 10, so 10.4.79.0 would have a VLAN ID of
479. Looks like I can have the HSRP ID match the VLAN ID but not at
the same time that it matches the Subnet.

John Stewart

> I don't know if it's best practice or not, but I always use separate ID
> for each VLAN that is the same as VLAN_ID.

I use a VLAN ID which matches the subnet, in our case a subnetted
network 10, so subnet 10.4.79.0 has a VLAN ID of 479. I hadn't read
255 unique HSRP group IDs to mean 1-255

mh

You could develop a mapping of your VLAN numbers to the HSRP group number 1 to 255

HSRP and Interface IP will not PING Gary Cisco 4 11-04-2003 07:07 PM
HSRP and LAB Gary Cisco 0 10-29-2003 06:39 PM
Terminating GRE tunnel on HSRP address Fred Leckie Cisco 0 10-28-2003 08:46 AM
HSRP and TRACKING SERIAL PORTS Mark Holloway Cisco 1 07-15-2003 01:58 PM
Re: HSRP and DHCP interaction Hansang Bae Cisco 0 07-15-2003 12:02 AM

Advertisments