Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > XP PRO--Setting up a network connection-Problem with passphrase

XP PRO--Setting up a network connection-Problem with passphrase

=?Utf-8?B?VG9ueSBW?=

I've set up a network connection for XP before but why do I receive an error
message about the length of the encrypted pass phrase when I try to logon to
a secure network from a laptop that has XP PRO???

All of the other users on the home network can access it using XP Home...

Malke

Tony V wrote:

> I've set up a network connection for XP before but why do I receive an
> error
> message about the length of the encrypted pass phrase when I try to logon
> to a secure network from a laptop that has XP PRO???
>
> All of the other users on the home network can access it using XP Home...

This has nothing to do with your operating system. Either your laptop's
wireless hardware can't use the encryption scheme you've set on the router
or you are entering it incorrectly. Since you didn't give us any details
about your wireless hardware, that's as specific as I can get.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

=?Utf-8?B?VG9ueSBW?=

I couldn't upgrade the internal wireless adapter to use WPA-2 because it was
too old.

So I did the following:
- updated the laptop with the Microsoft patch for WPA
- disabled the internal wireless adapter
- bought an external wireless card and installed it

Everything is fine now. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

"Malke" wrote:

> Tony V wrote:
>
> > I've set up a network connection for XP before but why do I receive an
> > error
> > message about the length of the encrypted pass phrase when I try to logon
> > to a secure network from a laptop that has XP PRO???
> >
> > All of the other users on the home network can access it using XP Home...

> This has nothing to do with your operating system. Either your laptop's
> wireless hardware can't use the encryption scheme you've set on the router
> or you are entering it incorrectly. Since you didn't give us any details
> about your wireless hardware, that's as specific as I can get.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

=?Utf-8?B?VG9ueSBW?=

The internal wireless adapter was too old to update--no drivers available--so
I did the following:
- Disabled the internal wireless adpter
- Updated the laptop with the latest Microsoft WPA patch
- Installed an external wireless card

"Tony V" wrote:

> I've set up a network connection for XP before but why do I receive an error
> message about the length of the encrypted pass phrase when I try to logon to
> a secure network from a laptop that has XP PRO???
>
> All of the other users on the home network can access it using XP Home...

"Tony V" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I couldn't upgrade the internal wireless adapter

"Tony V" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I couldn't upgrade the internal wireless adapter to

"Tony V" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...>I couldn't
upgrade the internal wireless adapter use WPA-2 because it was