Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Trouble with a Wireless network between PC and Mac - I think the PC is the problem

Trouble with a Wireless network between PC and Mac - I think the PC is the problem

tennisgiant21 tennisgiant21 is offline
Junior Member

Ok, so I think I am very close to getting this wireless setup to work, and I'm pretty sure it just has to do with the settings of one of the computers.

Here is my setup: I have a Mac G5 running to the wireless router (straight wired connection), which runs to the DSL router. My plan is to have a Windows PC run wirelessly in another room. I can get Internet fine with the Mac running to the router, but my wireless machine cannot get internet.

The thing is, my PC is receiving a strong wireless signal, and when I go to the network status page, it says that I am connected to the internet (as long as I manually configure settings) However, when I try to ping yahoo.com nothing shows up. I am pretty confident that my router settings are ok (Linksys WRT54G), DHCP is enabled, it allows up to 50 users, the firmware is all up to date.

So I am guessing the problem is in the PC somewhere? When I go into the Network Status page, and under options, and under Internet Protocol, I can either do 2 things: Let the IP and DNS be found automatically or enter it in manually. When I select automatic, the network status page now tells me I am not connected to the Internet, and the description stays stuck on "acquiring network address."

When I entered the IP address, default gateway, subnet masks, and DNS servers manually, the network status page changes. It now tells me I am connected to the internet, but I still cannot ping any site. If it helps,
my manually entered IP address is 192.168.1.101,
subnet mask is 255.255.255.0,
the default gateway is the router's IP which is 192.168.1.1,
and the 2 DNS servers are what was displayed on my router status page.

Also, I have tried ipconfig /release and renew, and also /flushdns, but to no avail.

Can anybody help me out? I would really appreciate it, thanks! I have tried everything within my limited knowledge, but I know you guys can help me figure this out!