Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > securing a wireless network

securing a wireless network

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgQm9uZHk=?=

How do I secure an unsecured wireless network?

Sooner Al [MVP]

Here is guidance from Barb Bowman, MS-MVP, about that issue...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ssecurity.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u..._05june13.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ebruary10.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u..._03july28.mspx

Use the strongest encryption your wireless access point and clients can use,
ie. WPA is preferred over WEP. If you must use WEP use 128-bit WEP at a
minimum... Personally I use WPA-PSK (AES) with a 63-character random ASCII
key that I generated from this site...

http://www.kurtm.net/wpa-pskgen/

I also recommend that you do *NOT* turn off the SSID broadcast...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...