Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > cisco 806 router "management cable" pinouts

cisco 806 router "management cable" pinouts

Derek Shaw

despite much reading of cisco documentation and a bunch of
experimentation, I was unable to manufacuture a management cable for
my client's screwed-up cisco 806 router. I could find no one in my
city who would give me the time of day to borrow a cable ("sniff ...
we don't deal with the soho stuff").

So to save someone else buying a router on ebay before they know for
sure if their router is completely bronked, here are the pinouts for
part number 72-3383-01.

This information is gathered from direct observation of the above part
number, and confirmed by making a working management cable from a
db9/rj45 adapter and a modified ethernet cable.

DB9 RJ45
(PC) (console)
1 ----- Not connected
2 ----- 3
3 ----- 6
4 ----- 7
5 ----- 4
6 ----- 2
7 ----- 8
8 ----- 1
9 ----- not connected

If you can build the above from "rolled" ethernet cable and an
db9-rj45 converter as shown in the cisco documentation*, you're way
cleverer than me.

Make a note when you are wiring your custom RJ54 cable -- this is not
a "reversible" cable -- one end must go in the db9-RJ45 adapter, and
the other must go in the console port of the router.

Another alternative is to buy a db9-rj45 adapter that is not yet
"assembled". Then you could do the pinouts in the adapter to suit a
standard ethernet cable. You'll have to figure that out yourself from
the above and maybe some references like those following.

* this is the adapter that is supposed to work with a "rolled" cable
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/701/14.html#topic12
a.k.a. Cisco's "Cabling Guide for Console and AUX Ports" -- Document
ID: 12223

This is the adapter I would use if I was doing a second time, and I'd
wire it to use a standard ethernet cable (cost was about 70 cents)...
http://tinyurl.com/6trpb
(the original URL for "DB9 FEMALE TO RJ45 8 CONDUCTORS"):
http://linhaw.com/?page=shop/flypage...ff38bdf65deb23

PES

Derek Shaw wrote:
> despite much reading of cisco documentation and a bunch of
> experimentation, I was unable to manufacuture a management cable for
> my client's screwed-up cisco 806 router. I could find no one in my
> city who would give me the time of day to borrow a cable ("sniff ...
> we don't deal with the soho stuff").

Although this is soho stuff, the console cable is not. Anyone who told
you that they didn't have a cable for the 806 because they didn't deal
with soho stuff didn't deal with Cisco at all.

cisco 806 router gene martinez Cisco 0 04-17-2006 10:37 PM
Opening Ports on Cisco 806 Router SiJP Cisco 1 09-19-2005 09:06 PM
cisco crossover serial cable pinouts sqrfolkdnc Cisco 2 03-08-2005 01:38 PM
CRWS on a Cisco 806 Router sm Cisco 2 04-08-2004 08:20 PM
CPU Pinouts KDHAKL A+ Certification 4 02-23-2004 09:58 PM

Advertisments