Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Is it possible ..

Is it possible ..

Tanveer H. Malik

My client using vpn [box] with 16kbps connectivity for shared among multiple
users, wants me to build an aspnet application. It is basically a data entry
application requiring form/field level securities restrictions for the
users, which will be using SQL Server at its back-end.

First of all I am confused whether it is possible to run an aspnet
application over a 16kbps vpn connection?
The other thing is the user requires that query response time should not in
any case exceeds 5 seconds?
If there are multiple users sharing this 16kbps, would the application be
able to run?

Yours comments and suggestions as to how I should design and develop this
application would be appreciated or If anybody could tell me anything about
a link where I can look for the minimum bandwidth required for aspnet
applications etc. or sort of benchmarks for the same.

Ray Booysen

Hi Tanveer

Thats hard to answer. It all depends on what the exact requirements
are. By the looks of it, it is a simple application, but it all depends
on the number of users. 16kbps is incredibly slow so you're going to
see slow connections to the site.

The best advice I can give you is try and reduce the amount of data that
has to be transferred. Turn off viewstate on as many controls as you can.

Regards
Ray

Tanveer H. Malik wrote:
> My client using vpn [box] with 16kbps connectivity for shared among multiple
> users, wants me to build an aspnet application. It is basically a data entry
> application requiring form/field level securities restrictions for the
> users, which will be using SQL Server at its back-end.
>
> First of all I am confused whether it is possible to run an aspnet
> application over a 16kbps vpn connection?
> The other thing is the user requires that query response time should not in
> any case exceeds 5 seconds?
> If there are multiple users sharing this 16kbps, would the application be
> able to run?
>
> Yours comments and suggestions as to how I should design and develop this
> application would be appreciated or If anybody could tell me anything about
> a link where I can look for the minimum bandwidth required for aspnet
> applications etc. or sort of benchmarks for the same.

Tanveer Malik

The intended no. of concurrent users for the servers are estimated to be
about 200. What should be my priorities while designing the database for
this solution, I mean how can optimize the database design for this purpose?

"Ray Booysen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Tanveer
>
> Thats hard to answer. It all depends on what the exact requirements are.
> By the looks of it, it is a simple application, but it all depends on the
> number of users. 16kbps is incredibly slow so you're going to see slow
> connections to the site.
>
> The best advice I can give you is try and reduce the amount of data that
> has to be transferred. Turn off viewstate on as many controls as you can.
>
> Regards
> Ray
>
> Tanveer H. Malik wrote:
>> My client using vpn [box] with 16kbps connectivity for shared among
>> multiple users, wants me to build an aspnet application. It is basically
>> a data entry application requiring form/field level securities
>> restrictions for the users, which will be using SQL Server at its
>> back-end.
>>
>> First of all I am confused whether it is possible to run an aspnet
>> application over a 16kbps vpn connection?
>> The other thing is the user requires that query response time should not
>> in any case exceeds 5 seconds?
>> If there are multiple users sharing this 16kbps, would the application be
>> able to run?
>>
>> Yours comments and suggestions as to how I should design and develop this
>> application would be appreciated or If anybody could tell me anything
>> about a link where I can look for the minimum bandwidth required for
>> aspnet applications etc. or sort of benchmarks for the same.

Ray Booysen

Ok, then I think its impossible.. 200 concurrent users over one single
16Kb/s line?

Tanveer Malik wrote:
> The intended no. of concurrent users for the servers are estimated to be
> about 200. What should be my priorities while designing the database for
> this solution, I mean how can optimize the database design for this purpose?
>
> "Ray Booysen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi Tanveer
>>
>> Thats hard to answer. It all depends on what the exact requirements are.
>> By the looks of it, it is a simple application, but it all depends on the
>> number of users. 16kbps is incredibly slow so you're going to see slow
>> connections to the site.
>>
>> The best advice I can give you is try and reduce the amount of data that
>> has to be transferred. Turn off viewstate on as many controls as you can.
>>
>> Regards
>> Ray
>>
>> Tanveer H. Malik wrote:
>>> My client using vpn [box] with 16kbps connectivity for shared among
>>> multiple users, wants me to build an aspnet application. It is basically
>>> a data entry application requiring form/field level securities
>>> restrictions for the users, which will be using SQL Server at its
>>> back-end.
>>>
>>> First of all I am confused whether it is possible to run an aspnet
>>> application over a 16kbps vpn connection?
>>> The other thing is the user requires that query response time should not
>>> in any case exceeds 5 seconds?
>>> If there are multiple users sharing this 16kbps, would the application be
>>> able to run?
>>>
>>> Yours comments and suggestions as to how I should design and develop this
>>> application would be appreciated or If anybody could tell me anything
>>> about a link where I can look for the minimum bandwidth required for
>>> aspnet applications etc. or sort of benchmarks for the same.

Tanveer Malik

One single location will have upto three simultaneous users at most. This
16kbps is for each location [client side].On server side the bandwidth is
not a problem.

news:OZcN$(E-Mail Removed)...