Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Why do images appear lower in FF than IE?

Why do images appear lower in FF than IE?

Chris Tomlinson

Hi, can anyone help us figure out how to make the small icons along the
options bar in the header of www.superhighstreet.com (next to Choose Street,
Send Page, Keep Updated, Add Favourite), appear as central in Firefox as
they already do in IE?
--
Thanks,
Me

Try Google Quik-e-search™ at www.Superhighstreet.com/home
....Finds anything or they buy it for you!

Karl S

Chris Tomlinson wrote:
> Hi, can anyone help us figure out how to make the small icons along the
> options bar in the header of www.superhighstreet.com (next to Choose Street,
> Send Page, Keep Updated, Add Favourite), appear as central in Firefox as
> they already do in IE?

According to: http://validator.w3.org/

That page contains 82 coding errors.

I'll leave it to the experts in this group to do the real work of
answering your question, but I thought you might want to know there is
an automated validation service available to check your code.

Chris Tomlinson

"Karl S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Chris Tomlinson wrote:
>> Hi, can anyone help us figure out how to make the small icons along the
>> options bar in the header of www.superhighstreet.com (next to Choose
>> Street, Send Page, Keep Updated, Add Favourite), appear as central in
>> Firefox as they already do in IE?

> According to: http://validator.w3.org/
>
> That page contains 82 coding errors.

The site is currently in beta - we are aware of some errors. That wasn't
the question though, but thanks anyway.

If anyone is able to answer the Q that would be greatly appreciated.
--
Thanks,
Me

Try Google Quik-e-searchT at www.Superhighstreet.com/home
....Finds anything or they buy it for you!

Andy Mabbett

In message <24%yg.109177$(E-Mail Removed)> , Chris
Tomlinson <(E-Mail Removed)> writes

>>>can anyone help us figure out how to make the small icons along the
>>> options bar in the header of www.superhighstreet.com (next to Choose
>>> Street, Send Page, Keep Updated, Add Favourite), appear as central in
>>> Firefox as they already do in IE?

>> According to: http://validator.w3.org/
>>
>> That page contains 82 coding errors.

>The site is currently in beta

Uh huh - so you're going to fully develop it, *then* fix all the errors?

Hang on, what's this:

xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice"
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">

?

>- we are aware of some errors.

So why haven't you fixed them, before coming here? How do you know that
one of them (or more than one, in combination) are not causing the
probelm you want people here to fix for you?

> That wasn't the question though

Tough. This isn't a helpdesk.

--
Andy Mabbett
Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards: <http://www.no2id.net/>

Free Our Data: <http://www.freeourdata.org.uk>

Jonathan N. Little

Chris Tomlinson wrote:
> "Karl S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Chris Tomlinson wrote:
>>> Hi, can anyone help us figure out how to make the small icons along the
>>> options bar in the header of www.superhighstreet.com (next to Choose
>>> Street, Send Page, Keep Updated, Add Favourite), appear as central in
>>> Firefox as they already do in IE?

>> According to: http://validator.w3.org/
>>
>> That page contains 82 coding errors.

> The site is currently in beta - we are aware of some errors. That wasn't
> the question though, but thanks anyway.

And you cannot see a possible connection? Okay....

> If anyone is able to answer the Q that would be greatly appreciated.

Okay, okay I'll be nice and give you a tip.

"<html xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml"
xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice"
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">"

Oh and here is another, the markup is a mess of deprecated junk,
inconsistency is bound to be a problem. Dump the deprecated
presentational attributes on your images and style them in your stylesheet.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Alan J. Flavell

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006, Chris Tomlinson wrote:

> "Karl S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> > That page contains 82 coding errors.

> The site is currently in beta - we are aware of some errors.

Then you should have the courtesy to correct them before appealing for
any further assistance!

> That wasn't the question though, but thanks anyway.

You're not taking this seriously. The killfile awaits.

> If anyone is able to answer the Q that would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone bothers to offer you that kind of answer then they're not to
be trusted. No-one who took their web authoring seriously would
bother to apply their grey cells to something which did not pass the
applicable automated tools - except for cases where the plaintiff
needs help in understanding what the error report means.

Chris Tomlinson

"Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:848cc$44cc8abe$40cba7c5$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Okay, okay I'll be nice and give you a tip.
>
> "<html xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml"
> xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice"
> xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">"

Thanks, we know about the other issues and are currently working on them for
a fix *before* we launch. However, having removed that html section, the
graphics still appear lower in FF than IE. We were thinking it was just a
browser inconsistency, but if you would be kind enough to be able to offer a
more targeted suggestion as to what to change the html tag to, then much
kudos to you.
--
Thanks,
Me

Try Google Quik-e-searchT at www.Superhighstreet.com/home
....Finds anything or they buy it for you!

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Chris Tomlinson" <(E-Mail Removed)>
writing in news:si0zg.109215$(E-Mail Removed) o.uk:

>> Okay, okay I'll be nice and give you a tip.
>>
>> "<html xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml"
>> xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice"
>> xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">"

> Thanks, we know about the other issues and are currently working on
> them for a fix *before* we launch. However, having removed that html
> section, the graphics still appear lower in FF than IE. We were
> thinking it was just a browser inconsistency, but if you would be kind
> enough to be able to offer a more targeted suggestion as to what to
> change the html tag to, then much kudos to you.

You don't understand do you? If you are using non-standard markup,
anything happen. The best way to go about this is get rid of all the
HTML errors _first_. If you do that, the problem you are having just
might fix itself.

All that is needed for the top of the document is:
<HTML>

You see, there is nothing there but the element itself.

Get rid of what ever Microsoft Office program you are using to spit out
this mess, and use a plain text editor. If you run the page through
HTML-Tidy, it has an option to clean up Microsoft stuff.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Chris Tomlinson
<(E-Mail Removed)> declared in alt.html:

> The site is currently in beta - we are aware of some errors. That wasn't
> the question though, but thanks anyway.

Perhaps not, but it is the correct answer.
http://diveintomark.org/archives/200..._wont_help_you

--
Mark Parnell
My Usenet is improved; yours could be too:

Chris Tomlinson

"Adrienne Boswell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns98105A7CB4B4arbpenyahoocom@69.28.186.121.. .

> You don't understand do you? If you are using non-standard markup,
> anything happen. The best way to go about this is get rid of all the
> HTML errors _first_. If you do that, the problem you are having just
> might fix itself.

Thanks, we have now tried fixing all the errors using HTML Tidy and the
validator in an offline version of the site, as well as correcting the
doctype, but it did not fix the problem reported in this thread (and
introduced some weird layout issues).

Could the reported problem just be a browser difference in how they position
images that are alongside text on the same line?