Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Repeated Wireless Network Repairs

Repeated Wireless Network Repairs

Fran

Using XP home, IE, Linksys router, Bellsouth DSL & Compaq notebook. While
online at my home I get several intermittant router/wireless "drops"
throughout the day for reasons unknown to me. I have to repair my network
connection every time (disable, then enable) and then I'm up and running
again. Can anyone give me a fix for this? Thanks in advance, Fran

ato_zee@hotmail.com

On 29-Jul-2006, "Fran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have to repair my network
> connection every time (disable, then enable) and then I'm up and running
> again. Can anyone give me a fix for this? Thanks in advance, Fran

Had this problem, static IP addresses, plus an aluminium
kitchen foil reflector behind the USB wireless adapter, to boost
signal strength, cured it.
Built in wireless adapters, PCI cards and laptops, rarely have the
antenna in the position of maximum signal.
With PC's the antenna if it's part of a PCI card is often shielded
by the bulk of the case.
This also occurs with wireless mice and keyboards, you
need a USB extension or built in USB lead to get them
nearer to the device talking to them.
DHCP seems to make one attempt to lease addresses,
if it fails you have to do a repair to get it to try again.

Diamontina Cocktail

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On 29-Jul-2006, "Fran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I have to repair my network
>> connection every time (disable, then enable) and then I'm up and running
>> again. Can anyone give me a fix for this? Thanks in advance, Fran

> Had this problem, static IP addresses, plus an aluminium
> kitchen foil reflector behind the USB wireless adapter, to boost
> signal strength, cured it.
> Built in wireless adapters, PCI cards and laptops, rarely have the
> antenna in the position of maximum signal.
> With PC's the antenna if it's part of a PCI card is often shielded
> by the bulk of the case.
> This also occurs with wireless mice and keyboards, you
> need a USB extension or built in USB lead to get them
> nearer to the device talking to them.
> DHCP seems to make one attempt to lease addresses,
> if it fails you have to do a repair to get it to try again.

Also happens with USB wi-fi NICs. Really annoying that in one room with 4
computers all on the same router, 2 with Gigabyte USB nics and 2 with D-link
USB nics, only 1 with a Gigabyte USB nic seems to be almost always online
without a problem. The other 3 intermittently decide the network isn't there
for no reason I can see. There IS a TV there and on or off, it makes no
difference. A laptop that happens to be within about 10 feet of the router
with a clear look in at it works quite well (USB Gigabyte NIC). It loses the
connection once every so often.

I am becoming convinced that if you want reliable wi-fi, you have to go buy
the company grade stuff, not the home stuff.

ato_zee@hotmail.com

On 30-Jul-2006, "Diamontina Cocktail" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> D-link USB nics

A total disaster they don't stay connected.
D-Link seem to buy from a number of sources,
their USB wireless adapters come in Revision
A, B, C etc flavours. The boxed CD often doesn't
match the revision, and their tech support is
helpless.
I've found ZyDAS based USB adapters to
stay connected and have good range/sensitivity.
Static addressing is worth trying for intermittent
connectivity, as does a kitchen foil curved
aluminium reflector.
About a 7 inch curve with the adapter at the
focus, I use a thin walled plastic flowerpot with
the foil covering half the outside circumference,
secured with elastic bands.

Playstation -I perform MINOR Repairs for $25 or less Roy Galutia Cisco 0 08-06-2004 03:53 AM
Frick... Europe-spec CP990 is refused for repairs in the US ZeeExSixAre Digital Photography 88 06-08-2004 03:12 PM
Re: Frick... Europe-spec CP990 is refused for repairs in the US Steven M. Scharf Digital Photography 2 06-04-2004 04:29 PM
Truck repairs Pat Computer Support 3 10-29-2003 06:19 PM
Repairs Ăn╬Gm├ Computer Support 2 08-10-2003 01:21 AM

Advertisments