Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > spanning tree blocked ports in MIB?

spanning tree blocked ports in MIB?

ton de w

Hello,

Have to attend a meeting and comment on displaying spanning tree
blocked ports via a network management system using snmp gets.

The kit is cisco (not quite sure which) and there are VLANs, VRFs, MPLS
implemented.
with RSTP and MST. Actually I am not quite sure what Multiple Spanning
Tree means, cos if you have lotsa VPNs I suppose you have lotsa STP
and/or RSTP as well.

Sooo, I was wondering why one might want to identify blocked ports in a
(R)STP environment?
And if blocked ports are useful to know about maybe we need to know
about root ports as well?

But my main question is can someone identify a MIB that has blocked
ports for (R)STP within or a URL to checkout myself (Fine Manuals read
wit enthusiasm!).
Or identify a case when blocked ports are not visible as I suppose MPLS
must hide a few things now and again.

Thanx in advance for your help!

Ton

flamer die.spam@hotmail.com

ton de w wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Have to attend a meeting and comment on displaying spanning tree
> blocked ports via a network management system using snmp gets.
>
> The kit is cisco (not quite sure which) and there are VLANs, VRFs, MPLS
> implemented.
> with RSTP and MST. Actually I am not quite sure what Multiple Spanning
> Tree means, cos if you have lotsa VPNs I suppose you have lotsa STP
> and/or RSTP as well.
>
> Sooo, I was wondering why one might want to identify blocked ports in a
> (R)STP environment?
> And if blocked ports are useful to know about maybe we need to know
> about root ports as well?
>
> But my main question is can someone identify a MIB that has blocked
> ports for (R)STP within or a URL to checkout myself (Fine Manuals read
> wit enthusiasm!).
> Or identify a case when blocked ports are not visible as I suppose MPLS
> must hide a few things now and again.
>
> Thanx in advance for your help!
>
> Ton

Hi I only just skimmed your question: stp & rstp are there to block
ports when you have multiple links going from and to the same place. it
decides which is the better link and uses that and shuts down the other
as to avoid split horizon.

you can run 'sh span ?' on the switch to see what commands you have
available.. it varys switch to switch. there are listening, forwarding
and blocking states.

Flamer.

ton de w

flamer http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> ton de w wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Have to attend a meeting and comment on displaying spanning tree
> > blocked ports via a network management system using snmp gets.
> >
> > The kit is cisco (not quite sure which) and there are VLANs, VRFs, MPLS
> > implemented.
> > with RSTP and MST. Actually I am not quite sure what Multiple Spanning
> > Tree means, cos if you have lotsa VPNs I suppose you have lotsa STP
> > and/or RSTP as well.
> >
> > Sooo, I was wondering why one might want to identify blocked ports in a
> > (R)STP environment?
> > And if blocked ports are useful to know about maybe we need to know
> > about root ports as well?
> >
> > But my main question is can someone identify a MIB that has blocked
> > ports for (R)STP within or a URL to checkout myself (Fine Manuals read
> > wit enthusiasm!).
> > Or identify a case when blocked ports are not visible as I suppose MPLS
> > must hide a few things now and again.
> >
> > Thanx in advance for your help!
> >
> > Ton

> Hi I only just skimmed your question: stp & rstp are there to block
> ports when you have multiple links going from and to the same place. it
> decides which is the better link and uses that and shuts down the other
> as to avoid split horizon.
>
> you can run 'sh span ?' on the switch to see what commands you have
> available.. it varys switch to switch. there are listening, forwarding
> and blocking states.
>
> Flamer.

Thanx flamer!
How can I identify the blocked ports using SNMP?

Tim Vee Tim Vee is offline
Junior Member

Hi ,

If your router implements the BRIDGE-MIB, you can use the "dot1dStpPortState" object. See the dot1StpPortTable for more details.

Tim Vincent
Unleash Networks
http://www.unleashnetworks.com

Site to open the blocked sites and blocked and encoded alagmy2030 Javascript 0 02-11-2011 11:54 PM
switches, spanning tree question regarding designated ports and switches alefveld@versatel.nl Cisco 1 12-30-2008 01:24 AM
Spanning Tree Sizwe Dumisani Cisco 3 11-16-2003 02:33 AM
Spanning Tree And Per Vlan Spanning Tree Amy L. Cisco 0 07-24-2003 10:01 PM

Advertisments