Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Only one instance of firefox

Only one instance of firefox

GioV

hello, can anyone tell me if theres an option or extension that I can
use to now allow Firefox to run more than one instance. For instance if
I was running firefox and I clicked the firefiox.exe firefox would not
open again but maximize the open already, or at least not open another one.

Thanks

Mumia W.

On 07/29/2006 08:20 AM, GioV wrote:
> hello, can anyone tell me if theres an option or extension
> that I can use to now allow Firefox to run more than one
> instance. For instance if I was running firefox and I
> clicked the firefiox.exe firefox would not open again but
> maximize the open already, or at least not open another
> one.
>
> Thanks

First, you can create a new Firefox (Fx) window by selecting
File/New Window.

Or, if you really need another instance with allow new
settings, you can create a separate profile by typing "firefox
-p" into the windows command prompt; follow the on-screen
instructions to create the profile.

And I surely hope you've discovered Fx's tabbed browsing.
Create a new tab in a Fx window by selecting File/New Tab.

HTH

GioV

Mumia W. wrote:
> On 07/29/2006 08:20 AM, GioV wrote:
>> hello, can anyone tell me if theres an option or extension
>> that I can use to now allow Firefox to run more than one
>> instance. For instance if I was running firefox and I
>> clicked the firefiox.exe firefox would not open again but
>> maximize the open already, or at least not open another
>> one.
>>
>> Thanks

> First, you can create a new Firefox (Fx) window by selecting
> File/New Window.
>
> Or, if you really need another instance with allow new
> settings, you can create a separate profile by typing "firefox
> -p" into the windows command prompt; follow the on-screen
> instructions to create the profile.
>
> And I surely hope you've discovered Fx's tabbed browsing.
> Create a new tab in a Fx window by selecting File/New Tab.
>
> HTH

Im sorry there was a typo and I meant I dont want other instance of
firefox running when I have one open already. Maybe like a pop up or
something that says or asks that theres already one instance of firefox
open already. I know opera has this option but i cant find it anywhere
in firefox.

Mumia W.

On 07/29/2006 10:49 AM, GioV wrote:

> Im sorry there was a typo and I meant I dont want other
> instance of firefox running when I have one open already.
> Maybe like a pop up or something that says or asks that
> theres already one instance of firefox open already. I know
> opera has this option but i cant find it anywhere in
> firefox.

I don't understand.

Mozilla Champion (Dan)

Mumia W. wrote:
> On 07/29/2006 10:49 AM, GioV wrote:
>>
>> Im sorry there was a typo and I meant I dont want other
>> instance of firefox running when I have one open already.
>> Maybe like a pop up or something that says or asks that
>> theres already one instance of firefox open already. I know
>> opera has this option but i cant find it anywhere in
>> firefox.

> I don't understand.

Firefox will only open one at a time.

GioV

Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
> Mumia W. wrote:
>> On 07/29/2006 10:49 AM, GioV wrote:
>>>
>>> Im sorry there was a typo and I meant I dont want other
>>> instance of firefox running when I have one open already.
>>> Maybe like a pop up or something that says or asks that
>>> theres already one instance of firefox open already. I know
>>> opera has this option but i cant find it anywhere in
>>> firefox.

>> I don't understand.
>>

> Firefox will only open one at a time.

ok if i click my mozilla firefox.exe file on my desktop mozilla opens up
on my taskbar, if i open another one up it also opens another firefox
on my taskbar. I can keep opening up new mozilla instances on my
taskbar.. I dont want firefox to open a new instance.. I want firefox to
only allow one instance.. let me show u a pic of what i mean.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/3138/image1mc2.jpg

hope that helps
thanks

Mozilla Champion (Dan)

GioV wrote:
> Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
>> Mumia W. wrote:

>>> I don't understand.
>>>

>> Firefox will only open one at a time.

> ok if i click my mozilla firefox.exe file on my desktop mozilla opens up
> on my taskbar, if i open another one up it also opens another firefox
> on my taskbar. I can keep opening up new mozilla instances on my
> taskbar.. I dont want firefox to open a new instance.. I want firefox to
> only allow one instance.. let me show u a pic of what i mean.
>
> http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/3138/image1mc2.jpg
>
> hope that helps
> thanks

Those are not new instances of the program, they are simply different
pages of it.

If you dont want that then

[Tools-->Options]*-->Tabs
Open links form other applications in:

0 the most recent tab/window

X Force links that open new windows to open in:

0 the same tab/window as the link

GioV

Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
> GioV wrote:
>> Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:

>>> Firefox will only open one at a time.

>> ok if i click my mozilla firefox.exe file on my desktop mozilla opens
>> up on my taskbar, if i open another one up it also opens another
>> firefox on my taskbar. I can keep opening up new mozilla instances on
>> my taskbar.. I dont want firefox to open a new instance.. I want
>> firefox to only allow one instance.. let me show u a pic of what i mean.
>>
>> http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/3138/image1mc2.jpg
>>
>> hope that helps
>> thanks

> Those are not new instances of the program, they are simply different
> pages of it.
>
> If you dont want that then
>
> [Tools-->Options]*-->Tabs
> Open links form other applications in:
>
> 0 the most recent tab/window
>
> X Force links that open new windows to open in:
>
> 0 the same tab/window as the link

That was already checked off, I dont mean links , I mean when u run
firefox it will load a new window for every time u start it.. so if I
open firefox 10 times via my desktop shortcut, ten windows will pop on
my taskbar like the picture, what u are talking about is links, my links
/tabs work great. Its just I have firefox on minimize to tray and when I
click my shortcut either by mistake cuz i forgot it was open already or
on purpose, it opens another firefox window instead of opening the one
thats already running in my tray, or at least warn me that theres
another copy of firefox running already. Also the one running has all
the tabs that I am currently looking and the new one that opens only on
loads my home page.

Thanks a lot for ur help anyways , but i dont think theres a solution

Olgierd

*Mozilla Champion (Dan)* wrote:

> Those are not new instances of the program, they are simply different
> pages of it.
>
> If you dont want that then

I'd rather use Tab Mix Plus extension in Single Window mode.

--
pozdrawiam serdecznie, Olgierd
||| JID(E-Mail Removed) ||| http://olgierd.wordpress.com |||

SteveG

GioV wrote:
> Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
>> GioV wrote:

>>> ok if i click my mozilla firefox.exe file on my desktop mozilla opens
>>> up on my taskbar, if i open another one up it also opens another
>>> firefox on my taskbar. I can keep opening up new mozilla instances on
>>> my taskbar.. I dont want firefox to open a new instance.. I want
>>> firefox to only allow one instance.. let me show u a pic of what i mean.
>>>
>>> http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/3138/image1mc2.jpg
>>>
>>> hope that helps
>>> thanks

>> Those are not new instances of the program, they are simply different
>> pages of it.
>>
>> If you dont want that then
>>
>> [Tools-->Options]*-->Tabs
>> Open links form other applications in:
>>
>> 0 the most recent tab/window
>>
>> X Force links that open new windows to open in:
>>
>> 0 the same tab/window as the link
>>

> That was already checked off, I dont mean links , I mean when u run
> firefox it will load a new window for every time u start it.. so if I
> open firefox 10 times via my desktop shortcut, ten windows will pop on
> my taskbar like the picture, what u are talking about is links, my links
> /tabs work great. Its just I have firefox on minimize to tray and when I
> click my shortcut either by mistake cuz i forgot it was open already or
> on purpose, it opens another firefox window instead of opening the one
> thats already running in my tray, or at least warn me that theres
> another copy of firefox running already. Also the one running has all
> the tabs that I am currently looking and the new one that opens only on
> loads my home page.
>

> Thanks a lot for ur help anyways , but i dont think theres a solution

Hi Giov, I've been following this thread with a little interest because
I thought that Firefox would only open one instance of the program. I
see, however, that by clicking the FF icon it will open as many
instances as you like.

Just out of curiosity - I don't have a solution for this - which version
are you running? I'm just wondering if this is something that has
changed with the latest version.

--
Regards

Steve G

Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server. Only an integratedconnection can generate a user instance. Harlan Messinger ASP .Net 2 03-28-2010 06:51 PM
only one instance Chameleon Java 2 10-30-2005 09:15 PM
Limit Thunderbird to only one instance running at a time? Z Firefox 2 05-02-2005 09:01 AM
nested dropdownlist loses values - only in one instance Bryan Ax ASP .Net 5 06-02-2004 03:55 PM
Custom controls instance problem on PostBack - two controls, one instance ??? Dejan Vesic ASP .Net Web Controls 0 08-20-2003 02:43 PM

Advertisments