Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Sub-domain

Sub-domain

Hoopster

Forgive me for being a NOOB.

If I have a regular host and creat a sub-demain, is it possible to
have the sub-domain resolved the the regular name ie;
www.yahoo.mydomain.com to www.yahoo.com?

cwdjrxyz

Hoopster wrote:

> If I have a regular host and creat a sub-demain, is it possible to
> have the sub-domain resolved the the regular name ie;
> www.yahoo.mydomain.com to www.yahoo.com?

I have my own 2 domains that I use on the servers provided by my web
host. Since I have my own domains, I can use www.cwdjr.net or
www.cwdjr.info. Many hosts also will let you use one of their own
domains so that you can avoid buying or renting a domain name. A few
hosts can provide free domain names and a few do not allow you to use
your own domain. The host domain name might be www.host.com. However,
since many people can use the host domain, you must add something so
the server will know what belongs to what. The standard way to do this
is to give each user a unique subdomain name . Perhaps the user is Joe.
Then he might use Joe as the subdomain, and this is written to the left
of host such as www.Joe.host.com . The only way you could use something
like www.Joe.com would be to buy or rent a domain. Below is how the
instructions at my host explain how to add subdomains to my domains
should I so wish.

A subdomain is a lower level domain. It is added on the left of the
domain name, e.g. subdomain.example.com. You can create as many
subdomains as allowed by the plan. Domains and subdomains have equal
functional capabilities, including web site management, e-mail service,
FTP, dedicated IPs, etc., but subdomains do not have their own DNS
zones and usually cost less.

To create a subdomain, go through the following steps:

* Click the Domains icon to go to your domain settings page.
* Select the domain if you have more than one.
* Click Add in the Sub Domains field.
* You will be asked to enter the subdomain name:

Enter the new subdomain. It will be displayed in the Subdomain field of
the Domain Settings page.

jojo

Hoopster wrote:

> Forgive me for being a NOOB.

Already done.

> If I have a regular host and creat a sub-demain, is it possible to
> have the sub-domain resolved the the regular name ie;
> www.yahoo.mydomain.com to www.yahoo.com?

If you rent the domain www.mydomain.com that's possible. Just use
..htaccess files to configure your server the way you want. Google for
..htaccess + mod_rewrite for further information.
But this is only possible if:
-Your site is on an Apache server
-You have the right to use .htaccess files
-You are allowed to create subdomains

HTH,
jojo

David Segall

Hoopster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Forgive me for being a NOOB.
>

>If I have a regular host and creat a sub-demain, is it possible to
>have the sub-domain resolved the the regular name ie;
>www.yahoo.mydomain.com to www.yahoo.com?

Your domain manager may allow you to do that. Certainly ZoneEdit
<http://www.zoneedit.com/> permits you to "web forward" any subdomain
of a domain they are managing for you, to anywhere you specify.

Dan

Hoopster wrote:
> If I have a regular host and creat a sub-demain, is it possible to
> have the sub-domain resolved the the regular name ie;
> www.yahoo.mydomain.com to www.yahoo.com?

Sure, if your hosting provider makes this functionality available, you
can set up server redirects (e.g., with Apache .htaccess files or
through your host's control panel) to make your subdomain addresses
redirect to any other Web site you want, whether it's the parent domain
of the subdomain or a third-party site. You do realize, however, that
"www.yahoo.mydomain.com" is not a subdomain of "www.yahoo.com"; those
are totally different domains with no relationship. In
"www.yahoo.mydomain.com", the fourth level domain is "www", which is a
subdomain of the third level domain "yahoo", which is a subdomain of
the second level domain "mydomain", which is a subdomain of the top
level domain "com". On the other hand, in "www.yahoo.com", "www" is a
subdomain of "yahoo" which is a subdomain of "com", so the only
commonality is that they are both in the ".com" TLD.

--
Dan