Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Lost My Network Places in Start

Lost My Network Places in Start

B.W.

I have a desktop and laptop on a desk next to it connected by an Ethernet
cable. All has been working well for some time but now suddenly I cannot
see on the desktop My Network Places in Start. On the laptop all seems O.K.

Can I put another link there, and if so from where and how. Or do I need to
re-setup the network?

TIA

B.W.

=?Utf-8?B?QXVzdC1UZWNo?=

I'm not sure what you mean by "on the desktop My Network Places in Start",
but i will try to help you.

If you are wanting to add your "My Network Places" icon on the desktop,
follow below:
1. Right Click any clear area of the desktop. When the context menu appears,
choose properties.
2. Once "Display Properties" dialog box appears, Choose the Desktop Tab.
3. At the bottom of the Desktop properties page and you will see a button
"Customize Desktop". Click it.
4. On the "General" Tab of the "Desktop Items" dialog box, in the first
section, you will see the option to choose to display "My Network places" on
the Desktop.
To add "My Network Places" to you Start Menu, follow below:
1. Right click your start menu, where it has the windows flag, and says
"Start"
2. When the context menu appears, choose properties.
3. When the "Taskbar and Start Menu Properties" Dialog box appears, click
the customize button.
4. When the "Customize Start Menu" Dialog box appears, click the Advanced tab.
5. In the section named: "Start Menu Items:", scroll down until you see an
option to place a checkbox next to "My Network Places".

Hope this help you....

Aust-Tech

"B.W." wrote:

> I have a desktop and laptop on a desk next to it connected by an Ethernet
> cable. All has been working well for some time but now suddenly I cannot
> see on the desktop My Network Places in Start. On the laptop all seems O.K.
>
> Can I put another link there, and if so from where and how. Or do I need to
> re-setup the network?
>
> TIA
>
> B.W.

Diamontina Cocktail

>> I have a desktop and laptop on a desk next to it connected by an Ethernet
>> cable. All has been working well for some time but now suddenly I cannot
>> see on the desktop My Network Places in Start. On the laptop all seems
>> O.K.
>>
>> Can I put another link there, and if so from where and how. Or do I need
>> re-setup the network?

On any XP computer, if the My Network Places isn't in under the start
button, just right click on the task bar and select properties. Now click on
the Start Menu tab on the window that came up. Click "Customise" for the
style you are using (only one will be able to be clicked) and then on the
next window click the advanced tab. A window with options comes up in which
you can scroll down about halfway. In there is "My Network Places" and you
only need to put a tick in there and click OK to all the other windows. Once
they have gone, it is back again. If, for any reason, the tick IS there
anyway, take it out and put it back and click OK and it will still work.