Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > I can connect to my home router but cant go online!

I can connect to my home router but cant go online!

Jack

Hi
May be this can Help.
Wireless, Basic Configuration: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"P" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just bought a d-link DWL-G650M network Card, i can see all the network
> connections in my area, when i enter my own one, or anyone for that
> matter,
> it connects and gives me a strong signal, iv entered my wep code and all
> but
> when i go to connect to internet through my wireless modem it wont let me!
> any ideas?

=?Utf-8?B?UA==?=

I just bought a d-link DWL-G650M network Card, i can see all the network
connections in my area, when i enter my own one, or anyone for that matter,
it connects and gives me a strong signal, iv entered my wep code and all but
when i go to connect to internet through my wireless modem it wont let me!
any ideas?

Patty

I have the same problem with my linksys router with a wep key setup by
Microsoft wireless system is there a fix? I can connect but it is limited
with no visible connection

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> May be this can Help.
> Wireless, Basic Configuration: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "P" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I just bought a d-link DWL-G650M network Card, i can see all the network
>> connections in my area, when i enter my own one, or anyone for that
>> matter,
>> it connects and gives me a strong signal, iv entered my wep code and all
>> but
>> when i go to connect to internet through my wireless modem it wont let
>> me!
>> any ideas?

ProjectD ProjectD is offline
Junior Member
Location: Sunshine State

Hi,

Try to setup an open connection first to see if you can get to the internet. Then increase the security protection when you when you have the basic setup works. Good luck.

Lem

Patty wrote:
> I have the same problem with my linksys router with a wep key setup by
> Microsoft wireless system is there a fix? I can connect but it is limited
> with no visible connection
>

> "Jack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi
>> May be this can Help.
>> Wireless, Basic Configuration: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
>> Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>
>> "P" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I just bought a d-link DWL-G650M network Card, i can see all the network
>>> connections in my area, when i enter my own one, or anyone for that
>>> matter,
>>> it connects and gives me a strong signal, iv entered my wep code and all
>>> but
>>> when i go to connect to internet through my wireless modem it wont let
>>> me!
>>> any ideas?

Patty,

First of all, you shouldn't be using WEP. It's not very secure. You
should use WPA or WPA2.

Second, how did you configure the router and your computer? Did you use
the WinXP Wizard and a USB thumb drive or did you enter the WEP key
manually?

Third, you probably are not really connected to your router. Try
opening a web browser and enter 192.168.1.1 (the default address for
Linksys routers). Do you get a login page? The default login is blank
and the password is "admin" (but you should have changed the password).

To confirm three, open a command prompt by going to Start > run and
typing "cmd" (without quotes) then click OK. In the window that opens,
type "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) and press [Enter].

What does it say for
Dhcp enabled?
IP Address?
Subnet mask?