Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Windows boot up hands when away from wireless network

Windows boot up hands when away from wireless network

ScottBarkman@gmail.com

Hello,

I'm having an odd issue. Windows XP hangs when loading windows but only
when I'm away from my wireless network. I've reinstalled windows using
a full format, Flashed the bios, updated all drivers. still nothing.
I've ensured that all programs that should be using the internet is
disabled. Any suggestions?

ato_zee@hotmail.com

On 28-Jul-2006, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I'm having an odd issue. Windows XP hangs when loading windows but only
> when I'm away from my wireless network. I've reinstalled windows using
> a full format, Flashed the bios, updated all drivers. still nothing.
> I've ensured that all programs that should be using the internet is
> disabled. Any suggestions?

Is this a laptop problem?
If so wireless may still be enabled with nothing to
connect to.
When you get XP started look at System Services and see
what is Stopped, Automatic, Disabled etc, and how/when
they are started.
Also check Start menu. What starts for each user,
and are you running in Admin mode?
Also check hardware any of the dredded yellow
exclamation marks.
From there on you start looking at logs for error
messages. Though as it occurs at boot the logs
may be clean.
Flashing BIOS doesn't mean BIOS setting are
correct, also Plug & Pray can cause hardware
funnies.
When it's running do an ipconfig /all and try
setting static addresses to the figures you get.