Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > VOIP Stunt question

VOIP Stunt question

Databug

I signed up with VOIP stunt because of the free calls. All the locations
that I need are free. However I just noticed this 120 days till expiry.
I assumed VOIP Stunt worked in a similar way to Skype in that the 120
days start again when you make a chargeable call. If this is not the
case and the 120 days expire and your credits go at the end then VOIP
stunt would be more expensive than my land line as we only make about £5
worth of calls in a quarter. Is there a PC based VOIP service that has
free calls to USA UK germany and where the credit doesn't expire? Or
will renew if you make a chargable call?

--
this post has been brought to you by the Databug©

Jono

Databug has brought this to us :
> I signed up with VOIP stunt because of the free calls. All the locations that
> I need are free. However I just noticed this 120 days till expiry. I assumed
> VOIP Stunt worked in a similar way to Skype in that the 120 days start again
> when you make a chargeable call. If this is not the case and the 120 days
> expire and your credits go at the end then VOIP stunt would be more expensive
> than my land line as we only make about £5 worth of calls in a quarter. Is
> there a PC based VOIP service that has free calls to USA UK germany and where
> the credit doesn't expire? Or will renew if you make a chargable call?

You don't lose the credit if you top up within the 120 days. Use the
credit up on chargeable calls you're currently making on your landline.

Martin Jay

In message <YFuyg.143611$(E-Mail Removed)>, Databug
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>I signed up with VOIP stunt because of the free calls. All the
>locations that I need are free. However I just noticed this 120 days
>till expiry. I assumed VOIP Stunt worked in a similar way to Skype in
>that the 120 days start again when you make a chargeable call. If this
>is not the case and the 120 days expire and your credits go at the end
>then VOIP stunt would be more expensive than my land line as we only
>make about £5 worth of calls in a quarter.

My understanding is that you have to top up with a tenner (+VAT) every
120 days to get 300 'free' call minutes per week. But previous credit
is not lost.

VOIP is great if you're chatting over the Internet to other VOIP users,
but often indirect telcos, such as http://www.1899.com/, are better
value for calling 'ordinary' phone numbers, especially if you're only
spending a fiver a quarter on calls.
--
Martin Jay
Phone/SMS: +44 7740 191877

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Martin Jay:
> In message <YFuyg.143611$(E-Mail Removed)>, Databug
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>> I signed up with VOIP stunt because of the free calls. All the
>> locations that I need are free. However I just noticed this 120 days
>> till expiry. I assumed VOIP Stunt worked in a similar way to Skype in
>> that the 120 days start again when you make a chargeable call. If
>> this is not the case and the 120 days expire and your credits go at
>> the end then VOIP stunt would be more expensive than my land line as
>> we only make about £5 worth of calls in a quarter.

> My understanding is that you have to top up with a tenner (+VAT) every
> 120 days to get 300 'free' call minutes per week. But previous credit
> is not lost.
>
> VOIP is great if you're chatting over the Internet to other VOIP
> users, but often indirect telcos, such as http://www.1899.com/, are
> better value for calling 'ordinary' phone numbers, especially if
> you're only spending a fiver a quarter on calls.

VoIPStunt is ‚ā¨10 (10 Euro) + 16% VAT, works out at about 50pence per
week which is not bad for what you get.

But if only making a few calls then as been posted you'd be better off
from a BT line using 1899 and also 18185.

VoIP Stunt is great for me as I don't have a landline, I just use VoIP
over a cable broadband connection, so that's £11 per month saved.

Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

Brian

On 2006-07-28, Databug <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I signed up with VOIP stunt because of the free calls. All the locations
> that I need are free. However I just noticed this 120 days till expiry.
> I assumed VOIP Stunt worked in a similar way to Skype in that the 120
> days start again when you make a chargeable call. If this is not the
> case and the 120 days expire and your credits go at the end then VOIP
> stunt would be more expensive than my land line as we only make about £5
> worth of calls in a quarter.

5 GBP a quarter scales up to about 6.70 GBP, which is nearly 10 EUR, for
four months. So the deal between you and VoipStunt isn't very heavily
weighted in their favour.

> Is there a PC based VOIP service that has
> free calls to USA UK germany and where the credit doesn't expire? Or
> will renew if you make a chargable call?

Sorry, can't help you with the name of a specific service but you could
try a search on your preferred search engine with the terms "bankrupt"
and "telecom company".

Brian.

Databug

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
> Thus spaketh Martin Jay:
>> In message <YFuyg.143611$(E-Mail Removed)>, Databug
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>>> I signed up with VOIP stunt because of the free calls. All the
>>> locations that I need are free. However I just noticed this 120 days
>>> till expiry. I assumed VOIP Stunt worked in a similar way to Skype in
>>> that the 120 days start again when you make a chargeable call. If
>>> this is not the case and the 120 days expire and your credits go at
>>> the end then VOIP stunt would be more expensive than my land line as
>>> we only make about £5 worth of calls in a quarter.

>> My understanding is that you have to top up with a tenner (+VAT) every
>> 120 days to get 300 'free' call minutes per week. But previous credit
>> is not lost.
>>
>> VOIP is great if you're chatting over the Internet to other VOIP
>> users, but often indirect telcos, such as http://www.1899.com/, are
>> better value for calling 'ordinary' phone numbers, especially if
>> you're only spending a fiver a quarter on calls.

> VoIPStunt is ‚ā¨10 (10 Euro) + 16% VAT, works out at about 50pence per
> week which is not bad for what you get.
>
> But if only making a few calls then as been posted you'd be better off
> from a BT line using 1899 and also 18185.
>
> VoIP Stunt is great for me as I don't have a landline, I just use VoIP
> over a cable broadband connection, so that's £11 per month saved.

Thanks for the replys. So basically you do loose the money if you don't
use it up within the 120 days specified.

--
this post has been brought to you by the Databug©

Jono

"Databug" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:RNEyg.133212$(E-Mail Removed). ..

> So basically you do lose the money if you don't use it up within the 120
> days specified.

Not entirely accurate. If you don't top up *or* don't use the credit, you
lose it.

Brian

On 2006-07-29, Databug <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
>> VoIPStunt is ?10 (10 Euro) + 16% VAT, works out at about 50pence per
>> week which is not bad for what you get.
>>
>> But if only making a few calls then as been posted you'd be better off
>> from a BT line using 1899 and also 18185.
>>
>> VoIP Stunt is great for me as I don't have a landline, I just use VoIP
>> over a cable broadband connection, so that's £11 per month saved.

> Thanks for the replys. So basically you do loose the money if you don't
> use it up within the 120 days specified.

Not quite. The money ceased to be yours at the beginning of the 120
days. You gave it to VoipStunt. In return they offered you a service.
You lose the service at the end of 120 days unless you give them some
more money.

Brian.

Harry Stottle

news:eaf8de$6dg$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2006-07-29, Databug <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
>>> VoIPStunt is ?10 (10 Euro) + 16% VAT, works out at about 50pence per
>>> week which is not bad for what you get.
>>>
>>> But if only making a few calls then as been posted you'd be better
>>> off
>>> from a BT line using 1899 and also 18185.
>>>
>>> VoIP Stunt is great for me as I don't have a landline, I just use
>>> VoIP
>>> over a cable broadband connection, so that's £11 per month saved.

>> Thanks for the replys. So basically you do loose the money if you
>> don't
>> use it up within the 120 days specified.

> Not quite. The money ceased to be yours at the beginning of the 120
> days. You gave it to VoipStunt. In return they offered you a
> service.
> You lose the service at the end of 120 days unless you give them some
> more money.

Not quite. You pay for credits to your account, and VoipStunt decide
that the money is theirs if you don't use it in 120 days, unless you add
more credits before the 120 days expire.

Jono

Harry Stottle submitted this idea :
> "Brian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:eaf8de$6dg$1$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Thanks for the replys. So basically you do loose the money if you don't
>>> use it up within the 120 days specified.

>> Not quite. The money ceased to be yours at the beginning of the 120
>> days. You gave it to VoipStunt. In return they offered you a service.
>> You lose the service at the end of 120 days unless you give them some
>> more money.
>>

> Not quite. You pay for credits to your account, and VoipStunt decide that the
> money is theirs if you don't use it in 120 days, unless you add more credits
> before the 120 days expire.

Semantics.

As soon as the account is credited, it (the money) belongs to
Voipstunt.

The account holder can choose to use it on chargeable calls, or not.
Either way, it's firmly in Betamax's account as soon as the account is
credited.