Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > VOIP in a small business setting

VOIP in a small business setting

Evan

Hello! I am the technology director for a small business that is just
about to move into our first office. Right now, we do not have an
office and so we have a 1-800 number that forwards to our personal
phones. When we move into our office, we are looking into a VOIP
system instead of a landline.

Here's the situation:
We will have a wireless router hooked up to a ADSL line. We initially
will have 3 employees working in this office, but will need the
capability to expand. Initially we will only have one phone line. We
would like to have extensions and voicemail boxes for each employee, as
well as an automated answerer. We would like to have physical phones
to sit at the desk. We would also like to be able to use the same VOIP
system at our homes, also on ADSL lines. I know that we could get a
VOIP PBX, but those are very expensive and I don't know if it would fit
into our budget.
To sum it up:
-Wireless router, ADSL (1.5 Mbps or greater)
-3 employees
-1 line
-Need expandability
-Extensions
-Voicemail
-Automated answering
-Physical phones
-Ability to use same VOIP system at home and while traveling to answer
customer calls

So basically, what we want is to use VOIP for the things listed above,
but either avoid using a PBX or find a very inexpensive one.

Thanks! Have a great day.

Vincent Delporte

On 27 Jul 2006 08:45:52 -0700, "Evan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I know that we could get a
>VOIP PBX, but those are very expensive and I don't know if it would fit
>into our budget.

Axon = Free
Brekeke = SIP server is free, PBX costs money
Asterisk = Free
sipXPBX = Free

But wait for the competent people to answer

Rick Merrill

Evan wrote:

> Hello! I am the technology director for a small business that is just
> about to move into our first office. Right now, we do not have an
> office and so we have a 1-800 number that forwards to our personal
> phones. When we move into our office, we are looking into a VOIP
> system instead of a landline.
>
> Here's the situation:
> We will have a wireless router hooked up to a ADSL line. We initially
> will have 3 employees working in this office, but will need the
> capability to expand. Initially we will only have one phone line. We
> would like to have extensions and voicemail boxes for each employee, as
> well as an automated answerer. We would like to have physical phones
> to sit at the desk. We would also like to be able to use the same VOIP
> system at our homes, also on ADSL lines. I know that we could get a
> VOIP PBX, but those are very expensive and I don't know if it would fit
> into our budget.
> To sum it up:
> -Wireless router, ADSL (1.5 Mbps or greater)
> -3 employees
> -1 line
> -Need expandability
> -Extensions
> -Voicemail
> -Automated answering
> -Physical phones
> -Ability to use same VOIP system at home and while traveling to answer
> customer calls
>
> So basically, what we want is to use VOIP for the things listed above,
> but either avoid using a PBX or find a very inexpensive one.
>
> Thanks! Have a great day.

A lot of people Think that 'voip' means they can just plug it into their
LAN - danger will robinson! You must design the network so that phone
calls have QoS support (Quality Of Service) - in other words phone calls
take priority over other uses, such as sending large design files over
the ethernet.

William P.N. Smith

"Evan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>We will have a wireless router hooked up to a ADSL line.

Your bandwidth (especially upstream) is really going to matter here.
You'll also probably want static IP, so your home extensions can find
it easily, and your ISP doesn't give you any trouble about running
'servers'.

>system at our homes, also on ADSL lines. I know that we could get a
>VOIP PBX, but those are very expensive and I don't know if it would fit
>into our budget.

Trixbox (nee: Asterisk @ Home) runs just fine on a $343 Dell 'n' (No
Windows Tax) series box. You can hang individual extensions off it
that live at your homes.

gremln007@gmail.com

William P.N. Smith wrote:
> Trixbox (nee: Asterisk @ Home) runs just fine on a $343 Dell 'n' (No
> Windows Tax) series box. You can hang individual extensions off it
> that live at your homes.

It also runs great on a $50 ebay clunker

pcdoc

Have a look here http://www.voipfone.co.uk you can do everything you
want to do inc virtual PBX
---