Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Focus on video quality

Focus on video quality

Mike

I am looking for recommendations for a basic DVD player that will produce
very high quality video signal. I don't need (or want) the latest and
greatest model - I don't need HDMI or 1080p output - all I need is component
video output of an artifact free 480i format. I will be feeding this into a
Lumagen Vision processor that will upconvert the signal to 840p for display
via an Electrohome Marquee 8000 crt projector. Any help would be
appreciated. Thanks.

Denzil Hathway

news:(E-Mail Removed) et...
>I am looking for recommendations for a basic DVD player that will produce
>very high quality video signal. I don't need (or want) the latest and
>greatest model - I don't need HDMI or 1080p output - all I need is
>component video output of an artifact free 480i format. I will be feeding
>this into a Lumagen Vision processor that will upconvert the signal to 840p
>for display via an Electrohome Marquee 8000 crt projector. Any help would
>be appreciated. Thanks.

======================

Mike, I had need of a DVD source to dub segments from DVD's for opera
program presentations to an opera appreciation group. I had a good quality
computer with good DVD burners and I also had a high end Panasonic DVD
stand-alone recorder/player. The thing was how to get the DVD signal in. I'd
never thought of it until some mentioned "portable DVD player."

Out of curiosity I went to Costco's and got an 8" Mintek portable DVD
player. You know that that thing did so well that I later went and got the
10" Mintek portable DVD player ($199 at Costcos right now) for another
setup. The two big things for me are I can connect it to the front of pieces
temporarily only when I need it, and the little unit plays EVERYTHING. Some
discs play even when sophisticated full-time machines will not play them.

For copy-protected stuff I pass the video signal through a Sima SCC-2
enhancer, On the computer the Canopus ADVC-100 takes Macrovision out
automatically. Denzil.

Gareth R Halfacree

Denzil Hathway wrote:
> Mike, I had need of a DVD source to dub segments from DVD's for opera
> program presentations to an opera appreciation group. I had a good quality
> computer with good DVD burners and I also had a high end Panasonic DVD
> stand-alone recorder/player. The thing was how to get the DVD signal in. I'd
> never thought of it until some mentioned "portable DVD player."
>
> Out of curiosity I went to Costco's and got an 8" Mintek portable DVD
> player. You know that that thing did so well that I later went and got the
> 10" Mintek portable DVD player ($199 at Costcos right now) for another
> setup. The two big things for me are I can connect it to the front of pieces
> temporarily only when I need it, and the little unit plays EVERYTHING. Some
> discs play even when sophisticated full-time machines will not play them.
>
> For copy-protected stuff I pass the video signal through a Sima SCC-2
> enhancer, On the computer the Canopus ADVC-100 takes Macrovision out
> automatically. Denzil.

If quality was so vital to your cause, why didn't you take the digital
video straight from the disc onto the computer? By decoding it from the
digital source into the analogue realm, running it through a MacroVision
decoder, and re-encoding it back to digital again you're dropping the
quality massively.

Simply put the disc in the drive and run something like 'DVD Decrypter'.
Minutes later you'll have a perfect digital copy of exactly what's on
the disc.

Improved quality. Saves money. Can't see a downside, here.

--
Gareth Halfacree http://gareth.halfacree.co.uk
"If Ace Books ever came out with an edition of The Bible, both books