Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > Microsoft certifcation costs

Microsoft certifcation costs

=?Utf-8?B?ZGFucm9zdHJvbg==?=

Hi

Can somebody please clear up some confusion I have. I'm looking to start the
MCSD qualification. Are there any costs associated with taking this
qualification or is it just the training costs?

For the 'Web Application Development' course (exam 70-305), there are two
options, either Instructor–led Classroom Training or Microsoft E–Learning.
Does this mean you have to take one of these training courses before taking
the exam, or can you just buy the book and work from that.

I have searched the site, but to no avail. I don' think it is clear what you
have to undertake to be able to take the test.

I can't really afford the online courses - so what are my options? Just
simply buying the mentioned book and working at my own pace??

Thanks
Dan Rostron.

Death from Above

Dan,

You do not have to take any courses before you take an exam. You can
register for and then take the exam whenever you like. A lot of people
prefer the self study route because of the low cost. A good way to find
books for self study is to search Amazon.com for the exam number of the exam
you are planning to take.

I don't think you should start down the MCSD trail right now. I'd head for
the new .NET Framework 2.0 certifications. The MCPD: Enterprise Application
Developer is the new version of the MCSD.

Death from Above
MCPD: EAD
MCSD.NET
MCDBA
MCTS: SS 2005

"danrostron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> Can somebody please clear up some confusion I have. I'm looking to start
> the
> MCSD qualification. Are there any costs associated with taking this
> qualification or is it just the training costs?
>
> For the 'Web Application Development' course (exam 70-305), there are two
> options, either Instructor-led Classroom Training or Microsoft E-Learning.
> Does this mean you have to take one of these training courses before
> taking
> the exam, or can you just buy the book and work from that.
>
> I have searched the site, but to no avail. I don' think it is clear what
> you
> have to undertake to be able to take the test.
>
> I can't really afford the online courses - so what are my options? Just
> simply buying the mentioned book and working at my own pace??
>
> Thanks
> Dan Rostron.

BD [MCNGP]

<< While I was at work, danrostron spurted out:
> Hi
>
> Can somebody please clear up some confusion I have. I'm looking to
> start the MCSD qualification. Are there any costs associated with
> taking this qualification or is it just the training costs?
>
> For the 'Web Application Development' course (exam 70-305), there are
> two options, either Instructor-led Classroom Training or Microsoft
> E-Learning. Does this mean you have to take one of these training
> courses before taking the exam, or can you just buy the book and work
> from that.
>
> I have searched the site, but to no avail. I don' think it is clear
> what you have to undertake to be able to take the test.
>
> I can't really afford the online courses - so what are my options?
> Just simply buying the mentioned book and working at my own pace??
>
> Thanks
> Dan Rostron.

If you're looking for cheap, go to the bookstore and buy an MS Press book (or
Kit) and study from that. Once you think you're ready, you can pay the $125 and
go take the exam(s). For that, you're looking at less than $200 per exam.

I do suggest checking out either MeasureUp, SelfTestSoftware, or Transcender for
additional material to get yourself ready for the exam. But that will incur more
charges that you may not be able to afford.

--
BD
MCNGP #51

=?Utf-8?B?ZGFucm9zdHJvbg==?=

Hi

Thanks very much for your advice. I didn't realise that these were the
latest certification routes.

Thanks again
Dan

"Death from Above" wrote:

> Dan,
>
> You do not have to take any courses before you take an exam. You can
> register for and then take the exam whenever you like. A lot of people
> prefer the self study route because of the low cost. A good way to find
> books for self study is to search Amazon.com for the exam number of the exam
> you are planning to take.
>
> I don't think you should start down the MCSD trail right now. I'd head for
> the new .NET Framework 2.0 certifications. The MCPD: Enterprise Application
> Developer is the new version of the MCSD.
>

> Death from Above
> MCPD: EAD
> MCSD.NET
> MCDBA
> MCTS: SS 2005
>

> "danrostron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi
> >
> > Can somebody please clear up some confusion I have. I'm looking to start
> > the
> > MCSD qualification. Are there any costs associated with taking this
> > qualification or is it just the training costs?
> >
> > For the 'Web Application Development' course (exam 70-305), there are two
> > options, either Instructor-led Classroom Training or Microsoft E-Learning.
> > Does this mean you have to take one of these training courses before
> > taking
> > the exam, or can you just buy the book and work from that.
> >
> > I have searched the site, but to no avail. I don' think it is clear what
> > you
> > have to undertake to be able to take the test.
> >
> > I can't really afford the online courses - so what are my options? Just
> > simply buying the mentioned book and working at my own pace??
> >
> > Thanks
> > Dan Rostron.

EggHead

Hi,

That is my route

Paid $100 at (that was $100 at that time, now is $125) prometric for my
mcse exams.
Learn something, bought voucher ($10 less) at some place like
getcertify4less for some of the my mcdba and mcsd exams.
Learn something again, eBay.com for the rest of my mcsd exams.

If you are in the field, just goto buy/borrow the books, read them, and
write the exams. However, it is super helpful if you get something like BD
mentioned additional material. No need to go to the classroom.

Just remember check eBay first I think they have MCSD books as well.

Good luck on your exams

cheers,
Egghead

"BD [MCNGP]" <BD@CertGuard> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> << While I was at work, danrostron spurted out:
>> Hi
>>
>> Can somebody please clear up some confusion I have. I'm looking to
>> start the MCSD qualification. Are there any costs associated with
>> taking this qualification or is it just the training costs?
>>
>> For the 'Web Application Development' course (exam 70-305), there are
>> two options, either Instructor-led Classroom Training or Microsoft
>> E-Learning. Does this mean you have to take one of these training
>> courses before taking the exam, or can you just buy the book and work
>> from that.
>>
>> I have searched the site, but to no avail. I don' think it is clear
>> what you have to undertake to be able to take the test.
>>
>> I can't really afford the online courses - so what are my options?
>> Just simply buying the mentioned book and working at my own pace??
>>
>> Thanks
>> Dan Rostron.
>>

> If you're looking for cheap, go to the bookstore and buy an MS Press book
> (or
> Kit) and study from that. Once you think you're ready, you can pay the
> $125 and
> go take the exam(s). For that, you're looking at less than $200 per exam.
>
> I do suggest checking out either MeasureUp, SelfTestSoftware, or
> Transcender for
> additional material to get yourself ready for the exam. But that will
> incur more
> charges that you may not be able to afford.
>

> --
> BD
> MCNGP #51
> -- MCNGP.com - You know IT!?
> -- www.swppm.com

BD [MCNGP]

<< While I was at work, EggHead spurted out:
> Hi,
>
> That is my route
>
> Paid $100 at (that was $100 at that time, now is $125) prometric for
> my mcse exams.
> Learn something, bought voucher ($10 less) at some place like
> getcertify4less for some of the my mcdba and mcsd exams.
> Learn something again, eBay.com for the rest of my mcsd exams.

Wait a minute! You spend money on Vouchers? Dude...read some of the posts in
here and the MCSE NG. There are FREE voucers for up to 20% off...but you've got
to find them. There is no need to BUY vouchers! What's the point of paying for
discounts? Someone is out there ripping people off...and that needs to stop.

> If you are in the field, just goto buy/borrow the books, read them,
> and write the exams. However, it is super helpful if you get
> something like BD mentioned additional material. No need to go to the
> classroom.
>
> Just remember check eBay first I think they have MCSD books as
> well.

Usually the books also come with exam vouchers that are good for up to 20% off,
but the codes are time sensitive.

--
BD
MCNGP #51

EggHead

Don't call me Dude, I quit marijuana already.
I mean buying exam voucher not those 20% voucher, and a lot of 20% vouchers
are only vaild in US.
Anyway, the cheapest way to write exam is buying exam voucher at ebay. I got
them from 66USD to 88USD.

Cheers,
Egghead
"BD [MCNGP]" <BD@CertGuard> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> << While I was at work, EggHead spurted out:
>> Hi,
>>
>> That is my route
>>
>> Paid $100 at (that was $100 at that time, now is $125) prometric for
>> my mcse exams.
>> Learn something, bought voucher ($10 less) at some place like
>> getcertify4less for some of the my mcdba and mcsd exams.
>> Learn something again, eBay.com for the rest of my mcsd exams.
>>

> Wait a minute! You spend money on Vouchers? Dude...read some of the posts
> in
> here and the MCSE NG. There are FREE voucers for up to 20% off...but
> you've got
> to find them. There is no need to BUY vouchers! What's the point of paying
> for
> discounts? Someone is out there ripping people off...and that needs to
> stop.
>
>> If you are in the field, just goto buy/borrow the books, read them,
>> and write the exams. However, it is super helpful if you get
>> something like BD mentioned additional material. No need to go to the
>> classroom.
>>
>> Just remember check eBay first I think they have MCSD books as
>> well.
>>

> Usually the books also come with exam vouchers that are good for up to 20%
> off,
> but the codes are time sensitive.
>
>> Good luck on your exams
>>
>> cheers,
>> Egghead
>>
>> "BD [MCNGP]" <BD@CertGuard> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> << While I was at work, danrostron spurted out:
>>> <<------------------------------------------>>

>>> If you're looking for cheap, go to the bookstore and buy an MS Press
>>> book (or
>>> Kit) and study from that. Once you think you're ready, you can pay
>>> the $125 and
>>> go take the exam(s). For that, you're looking at less than $200 per
>>> exam.
>>>
>>> I do suggest checking out either MeasureUp, SelfTestSoftware, or
>>> Transcender for
>>> additional material to get yourself ready for the exam. But that will
>>> incur more
>>> charges that you may not be able to afford.
>>>

>>> --
>>> BD
>>> MCNGP #51
>>> -- MCNGP.com - You know IT!?
>>> -- www.swppm.com

> --
> BD
> MCNGP #51
> -- MCNGP.com - You know IT!?
> -- www.swppm.com

BD [MCNGP]

<< While I was at work, EggHead spurted out:
> Don't call me Dude, I quit marijuana already.

I'll call you Dude...or Bro...or Druggie whenever I feel like it.

> I mean buying exam voucher not those 20% voucher, and a lot of 20%
> vouchers are only vaild in US.

So you're talking about vouchers for FREE exams? Ok, I do believe those are
limited, but also given for free (I may be wrong, but I'll get more info on
that). I'm guessing anyone that is selling them is doing so to make a profit,
but hey, if you wanna put money in someone else's pocket, that's your business
dude.

> Anyway, the cheapest way to write exam is buying exam voucher at
> ebay. I got them from 66USD to 88USD.

You get what you pay for, that's what I live by...I never go
"cheap"...inexpensive yes....cheap, no. You'll lose money by going cheap, and
you'll end up spending more money in the long run (eventually)

--
BD
MCNGP #51
-- MCNGP.com - You know IT!?
-- www.swppm.com

EggHead

"BD [MCNGP]" <BD@CertGuard> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> << While I was at work, EggHead spurted out:
>> Don't call me Dude, I quit marijuana already.
>>

> I'll call you Dude...or Bro...or Druggie whenever I feel like it.
>
>> I mean buying exam voucher not those 20% voucher, and a lot of 20%
>> vouchers are only vaild in US.
>>

> So you're talking about vouchers for FREE exams? Ok, I do believe those
> are
> limited, but also given for free (I may be wrong, but I'll get more info
> on
> that). I'm guessing anyone that is selling them is doing so to make a
> profit,
> but hey, if you wanna put money in someone else's pocket, that's your
> business
> dude.

Goto http://www.getcertified4less.com/testvoucher.asp

Not all vouchers are free; a lot of those free exams vouchers are only for
selected exams.

>> Anyway, the cheapest way to write exam is buying exam voucher at
>> ebay. I got them from 66USD to 88USD.
>>

> You get what you pay for, that's what I live by...I never go
> "cheap"...inexpensive yes....cheap, no. You'll lose money by going cheap,
> and
> you'll end up spending more money in the long run (eventually)

Why pay more when they are the same???