Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > 2900xl with 4 vlans

2900xl with 4 vlans

gene martinez

I have a old 2900xl 24 port switch. I set it up with (4) vlans for
different networks and testing. Can I connect (2) vlans together so
they look as (1)?? I want/need to change the ip addres of the switch
(vlan1) but all of the pc's are on vlan3. Can I jumper a port on vlan
(1) to a port on vlan3 using a cross-over cable and have the pc's on
vlan 3 be able to see the switch on vlan1???

Johnny Routin

No, to cross subnets you'll need to route.

"gene martinez" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a old 2900xl 24 port switch. I set it up with (4) vlans for
> different networks and testing. Can I connect (2) vlans together so
> they look as (1)?? I want/need to change the ip addres of the switch
> (vlan1) but all of the pc's are on vlan3. Can I jumper a port on vlan
> (1) to a port on vlan3 using a cross-over cable and have the pc's on
> vlan 3 be able to see the switch on vlan1???

gene martinez

Thanks..

chris@nospam.com

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 13:04:08 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (gene martinez)
wrote:

>I have a old 2900xl 24 port switch. I set it up with (4) vlans for
>different networks and testing. Can I connect (2) vlans together so
>they look as (1)?? I want/need to change the ip addres of the switch
>(vlan1) but all of the pc's are on vlan3. Can I jumper a port on vlan
>(1) to a port on vlan3 using a cross-over cable and have the pc's on
>vlan 3 be able to see the switch on vlan1???

I suppose you could cross-connect the vlans this way. You'll need to
disable spanning-tree on those ports or the switch will see the loop.

-Chris

Johnny Routin

You could cross connect the vlans but one subnet will not talk to the other.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 13:04:08 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (gene martinez)
> wrote:
>
> >I have a old 2900xl 24 port switch. I set it up with (4) vlans for
> >different networks and testing. Can I connect (2) vlans together so
> >they look as (1)?? I want/need to change the ip addres of the switch
> >(vlan1) but all of the pc's are on vlan3. Can I jumper a port on vlan
> >(1) to a port on vlan3 using a cross-over cable and have the pc's on
> >vlan 3 be able to see the switch on vlan1???

> I suppose you could cross-connect the vlans this way. You'll need to
> disable spanning-tree on those ports or the switch will see the loop.
>
> -Chris

gene martinez

It will? I didn't think it would as they are different vlans, so I
thought to the switch it wouldn't see it as (2) ports are connected
together??

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 13:04:08 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (gene martinez)
>wrote:
>
>>I have a old 2900xl 24 port switch. I set it up with (4) vlans for
>>different networks and testing. Can I connect (2) vlans together so
>>they look as (1)?? I want/need to change the ip addres of the switch
>>(vlan1) but all of the pc's are on vlan3. Can I jumper a port on vlan
>>(1) to a port on vlan3 using a cross-over cable and have the pc's on
>>vlan 3 be able to see the switch on vlan1???

>I suppose you could cross-connect the vlans this way. You'll need to
>disable spanning-tree on those ports or the switch will see the loop.
>
>-Chris

gene martinez

Thanks, I guess I should change all the ports to vlan (1) and not have
to be bothered with connecting the (2) vlans together...

"Johnny Routin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>You could cross connect the vlans but one subnet will not talk to the other.
>

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 13:04:08 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (gene martinez)
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I have a old 2900xl 24 port switch. I set it up with (4) vlans for
>> >different networks and testing. Can I connect (2) vlans together so
>> >they look as (1)?? I want/need to change the ip addres of the switch
>> >(vlan1) but all of the pc's are on vlan3. Can I jumper a port on vlan
>> >(1) to a port on vlan3 using a cross-over cable and have the pc's on
>> >vlan 3 be able to see the switch on vlan1???

>> I suppose you could cross-connect the vlans this way. You'll need to
>> disable spanning-tree on those ports or the switch will see the loop.
>>
>> -Chris

gene martinez

What would be a low-end (2 or 3) port router?? Waybe this is something
I should look into. Plus it would be a good learning tool..

"Johnny Routin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>You could cross connect the vlans but one subnet will not talk to the other.
>

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 13:04:08 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (gene martinez)
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I have a old 2900xl 24 port switch. I set it up with (4) vlans for
>> >different networks and testing. Can I connect (2) vlans together so
>> >they look as (1)?? I want/need to change the ip addres of the switch
>> >(vlan1) but all of the pc's are on vlan3. Can I jumper a port on vlan
>> >(1) to a port on vlan3 using a cross-over cable and have the pc's on
>> >vlan 3 be able to see the switch on vlan1???

>> I suppose you could cross-connect the vlans this way. You'll need to
>> disable spanning-tree on those ports or the switch will see the loop.
>>
>> -Chris

Johnny Routin

The 2514 is an older 2 ethernet port router that works well and is fairly
cheap. I used one for years in my home lab before I upgraded to a 2621 which
would be another option for you.

"gene martinez" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What would be a low-end (2 or 3) port router?? Waybe this is something
> I should look into. Plus it would be a good learning tool..
>
> "Johnny Routin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >You could cross connect the vlans but one subnet will not talk to the

other.

> ><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .

> >> I suppose you could cross-connect the vlans this way. You'll need to
> >> disable spanning-tree on those ports or the switch will see the loop.
> >>
> >> -Chris

gene martinez

Thanks, Ill have a look and see what I can find..

"Johnny Routin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The 2514 is an older 2 ethernet port router that works well and is fairly
>cheap. I used one for years in my home lab before I upgraded to a 2621 which
>would be another option for you.
>
>"gene martinez" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> What would be a low-end (2 or 3) port router?? Waybe this is something
>> I should look into. Plus it would be a good learning tool..

Windows - Browsing across vlans and also DC's on separate vlans punisher Cisco 2 11-17-2005 03:41 PM
question about Mapping 802.1Q VLANs to ISL VLANs ilya@3ka.mipt.ru Cisco 0 01-11-2005 02:42 PM
vlans on 2900xl gene martinez Cisco 3 06-08-2004 09:59 PM
How do I get a grip on network traffic with the Cisco 2900XL ? Jayse Cisco 5 01-30-2004 02:01 PM
3640 + 2900XL vs 3550 Tassos Cisco 2 12-08-2003 02:47 PM

Advertisments