Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > JavaMail multiple recipients

JavaMail multiple recipients

John Bailo

I can send a JavaMail message to multiple recipients with

///
javax.mail.internet.InternetAddress[] addressTo = new
javax.mail.internet.InternetAddress[recipients.length];

for (int i = 0; i < recipients.length; i++)
addressTo[i] = new javax.mail.internet.InternetAddress(recipients[i]);

msg.setRecipients(javax.mail.Message.RecipientType .TO, addressTo);
///

But this sends out individual emails to each recipient. How can I send
a single email with multiple recipients so that all the recipients names
appear on the To: line?

The_Sage

>Reply to article by: John Bailo <(E-Mail Removed)>
>Date written: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 14:29:37 -0700
>MsgID:<07SdnYqIiqHdEFvZnZ2dnUVZ_sGdnZ2d@speakeasy .net>

>I can send a JavaMail message to multiple recipients with

>///
>javax.mail.internet.InternetAddress[] addressTo = new
>javax.mail.internet.InternetAddress[recipients.length];

>for (int i = 0; i < recipients.length; i++)
>addressTo[i] = new javax.mail.internet.InternetAddress(recipients[i]);

>msg.setRecipients(javax.mail.Message.RecipientTyp e.TO, addressTo);
>///

>But this sends out individual emails to each recipient. How can I send
>a single email with multiple recipients so that all the recipients names
>appear on the To: line?

Your addressTo object is a multiple element array when the "To:" field needs to
be a single line of text, with each receipient email address concantenated to
the others with a space and a semi-colon. Just look at how it is done on your
email application on your computer, ie -- MS Outlook for example.

The Sage

http://members.cox.net/the.sage/index.htm

"All those painted screens erected by man to shut out reality
-- history, religion, duty, social position --
all were illusions, mere opium fantasies"
John Fowles, The French Lieutenant's Woman

philmin philmin is offline
Junior Member

Hi, another newbie - my code is almost right, but I cannot work out how to send duplicate emails. I get a java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException, I have had the whole system working for one email, just not lots. Please help me, I am sure I am nearly there, I just need a final shove..
thanks
phil

import java.io.IOException;
import java.util.Date;
import java.util.Properties;
import javax.mail.Message;
import javax.mail.MessagingException;
import javax.mail.Session;
import javax.mail.Transport;
import javax.mail.internet.InternetAddress;
import javax.mail.internet.MimeMessage;

public class SendEmail extends Helper
{
//Variables to pull in form details
public static String strChangeRequestNumber;
public static Object objChangeRequestType;
public static String strChangeDescription;
public static Object objRecipients;
public static String[] a;

//main procedure
public static void main(String[] args) throws IOException
{
ChangeRequestForm ChangeRequestForm = new ChangeRequestForm(null);
//get variables from Form when control is returned
String strChangeRequestNumber = ChangeRequestForm.strChangeRequestNumber;
String strRecipients = ChangeRequestForm.strRecipients;
Object objChangeRequestType = ChangeRequestForm.objChangeType;
String strChangeDescription = ChangeRequestForm.strChangeDescription;
objRecipients = ChangeRequestForm.objRecipient;
a = ChangeRequestForm.a;

Properties props = (Properties)System.getProperties().clone();
props.put("mail.smtp.host", "smtp.mysmtp.here");

// set as properties as needed using current session
Session session = Session.getInstance(props, null);
session.setDebug(true);

try {
Message msg = new MimeMessage(session);

//***edit in to dictate from address (if allowed)***
msg.setFrom(new InternetAddress("MyFromEmailAddressHere"));
//InternetAddress[] address = {new InternetAddress((String) objRecipients)};
//InternetAddress[] address = {new InternetAddress((String) strRecipients)};

InternetAddress[] addressTo = new InternetAddress[strRecipients.length()];
//(StrRecipients is produced from a combibox with multiple selections enabled, I am happy with the output from this - each email addr is seperated by a comma etc)

//For each recipient, send an email..if only...
for (int i = 0; i < strRecipients.length(); i++)
addressTo[i] = new InternetAddress(a[i]);
msg.setRecipients(Message.RecipientType.TO, addressTo);

///

//msg.setRecipients(Message.RecipientType.TO, address);
//msg.setRecipients(Message.RecipientType.TO, address);
msg.setSubject("My subject here: " + objChangeRequestType + strChangeRequestNumber);
msg.setSentDate(new Date());

//HTML format of email
"<span style = \"FONT-family: Tahoma\">" +
"<span style=\"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff\">" +
objChangeRequestType +
strChangeRequestNumber +
"<br><br>" + "Description: " +
strChangeDescription +
"</span></p>" +

msg.setContent(Helper.strMsgText, "text/html");

calculateDate();
writeEmailToFile();

Transport.send(msg);
displayMsgBox("email sent to" + ChangeRequestForm.a[ChangeRequestForm.q]);
displayMsgBox("email sent, no option to recall!");
}
catch (MessagingException e) {
displayMsgBox("error sending message");
e.printStackTrace();