Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco VPN 3005 - Active Directory Authentication

Cisco VPN 3005 - Active Directory Authentication

Paul Mclean

I'm pretty new to these appliance boxes so I have a what will probably
be a stupid question

At the moment we allow users to access some shared drives on a Windows
200 server, and the ability to Lanuch Outlook Web Access Client.

We have another bunch of users who use the Symantec VPN client to get
access via the firewall giving them a VPN tunnel to replicate Mail and
map some drives ona Windows 2000 server.

Ideally I'd like to just use the VPN 3005's and get rid of the SEF
client. So my question is can we authenticate users using their Active
Directory accounts to establish a VPN session using withe IPsec or
PPTP?

Thanks for your help

Regards

Paul Mclean

Scott Lowe

On 2004-10-30 15:44:32 -0400, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Paul Mclean) said:

> Ideally I'd like to just use the VPN 3005's and get rid of the SEF
> client. So my question is can we authenticate users using their Active
> Directory accounts to establish a VPN session using withe IPsec or
> PPTP?

I've never done it directly against Active Directory, but I have used
IAS (Internet Authentication Service) to create a RADIUS interface to
AD, then authenticated the VPN clients via RADIUS to AD. If I recall
correctly, I was able to make this work with both PPTP and L2TP/IPSec.

Check out this document:

<http://www.mercurionsystems.com/downloads/td-vpn3kintegrate.pdf>

It was written a couple of years ago, so it's a bit out of date. I
hope it proves helpful to you nonetheless.

HTH.

--
Scott Lowe