Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Pix 515 does not recover from, Power Failure

Pix 515 does not recover from, Power Failure

Scott Townsend

When we have a power failure our PIX 515 (see below for specs and versions)
does not recover. When power is restored. it just has a flashing network
light. Power and ACT are both out. Doing a power cycle from the switch
seems to make it recover. The unit had been running since June 21st and
Sunday the power went out.

I cannot connect to the Console either, It appears to be non-responsive too.

Where do I go from here?

Thanks!

----------------------------------

PhoenixPICOBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0
Copyright 1985-1998 Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
All Rights Reserved

Build Time: 04/27/99 17:08:34
Polaris BIOS Version 0.09
CPU = Pentium with MMX 200 MHz
640K System RAM Passed
63M Extended RAM Passed
0512K Cache SRAM Passed
System BIOS shadowed
per limit segment address: EFE5
PIX BIOS (4.0) #0: Tue May 18 16:29:54 PDT 1999
Platform PIX-515
Flash=i28F640J5 @ 0x300

Use BREAK or ESC to interrupt flash boot.
Use SPACE to begin flash boot immediately.
Reading 123392 bytes of image from flash.

PIX Flash Load Helper

Initializing flashfs...
flashfs[0]: 9 files, 3 directories
flashfs[0]: 0 orphaned files, 0 orphaned directories
flashfs[0]: Total bytes: 15998976
flashfs[0]: Bytes used: 11330560
flashfs[0]: Bytes available: 4668416
flashfs[0]: Initialization complete.

Reading image flash:/pix705.bin
Launching image flash:/pix705.bin
################################################## ################################################## ################################
64MB RAM

Total NICs found: 3
mcwa i82559 Ethernet at irq 10 MAC: 0050.54fe.ef68
mcwa i82559 Ethernet at irq 7 MAC: 0050.54fe.ef69
mcwa i82559 Ethernet at irq 9 MAC: 0002.b3ad.7fda
BIOS Flash=AT29C257 @ 0xfffd8000

Initializing flashfs...

Cisco PIX Security Appliance Software Version 7.0(5)
Device Manager Version 5.0(5)

Compiled on Mon 10-Apr-06 14:40 by builders
System image file is "flash:/pix705.bin"
Config file at boot was "startup-config"

moonrazor up 3 mins 36 secs

Hardware: PIX-515, 64 MB RAM, CPU Pentium 200 MHz
Flash i28F640J5 @ 0x300, 16MB
BIOS Flash AT29C257 @ 0xfffd8000, 32KB

0: Ext: Ethernet0 : address is 0050.54fe.ef68, irq 10
1: Ext: Ethernet1 : address is 0050.54fe.ef69, irq 7
2: Ext: Ethernet2 : address is 0002.b3ad.7fda, irq 9

Licensed features for this platform:
Maximum Physical Interfaces : 3
Maximum VLANs : 10
Inside Hosts : Unlimited
Failover : Disabled
VPN-DES : Enabled
VPN-3DES-AES : Enabled
Cut-through Proxy : Enabled
Guards : Enabled
URL Filtering : Enabled
Security Contexts : 0
GTP/GPRS : Disabled
VPN Peers : Unlimited

This platform has a Restricted (R) license.

Serial Number: 403480639

Walter Roberson

In article <Ry6xg.55536$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
Scott Townsend <scott-i@.-N0-SPAMplease.enm.com> wrote:
>When we have a power failure our PIX 515 (see below for specs and versions)
>does not recover. When power is restored. it just has a flashing network
>light. Power and ACT are both out. Doing a power cycle from the switch
>seems to make it recover.

>I cannot connect to the Console either, It appears to be non-responsive too.

To clarify: when you say that you cannot connect to the console,
is that problem also fixed by power cycling via the on/off switch ?

Scott Townsend

Yes, If I connect a Terminal to the Console Port, I do not get anything,
pressing return several times does not seem to do anything.

Turning off the power switch, then turning it back on I am able to see the
Bootup sequence, etc on the console.

Thanks,
Scott<-
"Walter Roberson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> In article <Ry6xg.55536$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
> Scott Townsend <scott-i@.-N0-SPAMplease.enm.com> wrote:
>>When we have a power failure our PIX 515 (see below for specs and
>>versions)
>>does not recover. When power is restored. it just has a flashing network
>>light. Power and ACT are both out. Doing a power cycle from the switch
>>seems to make it recover.

>>I cannot connect to the Console either, It appears to be non-responsive
>>too.

> To clarify: when you say that you cannot connect to the console,
> is that problem also fixed by power cycling via the on/off switch ?

www.BradReese.Com

Hi Scott,

You may wish to investigate Cisco PIX Hardware Troubleshooting:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...80094fd9.shtml

Hope this helps.

Brad Reese
BradReese.Com - Cisco Repair
1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
USA & Canada: 877-549-2680
International: 828-277-7272
Fax: 775-254-3558
AIM: R2MGrant
http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-power...-inventory.htm

Walter Roberson

In article <di7xg.72419$(E-Mail Removed) >,
Scott Townsend <scott-i@.-N0-SPAMplease.enm.com> wrote:
>Yes, If I connect a Terminal to the Console Port, I do not get anything,
>pressing return several times does not seem to do anything.

>Turning off the power switch, then turning it back on I am able to see the
>Bootup sequence, etc on the console.

Hmmmm... the only thing that comes to mind right at the moment is
that if you had a loose power cord connector, then the physical push on
the on/off switch just might jiggle the connector into a better place.
That's long odds, though, and that sort of daft problem is much more likely
for a PIX 501.

The only other thing that comes to mind at the moment is that when you
powerfail, the power might come up very "dirty". Is the PIX 515 connected
to any kind of power cleaner (e.g., power conditioner or UPS that is
at least "single inversion"? (not cheapo UPS's -- those things put line
power through untouched unless power is lost.)

Scott Townsend

Thanks for the Link. Looks like from the 3 options, I'm experiencing a "PIX
Hang"

"If you suspect a PIX hang, check to see if any specific event, such as a
high load, may have caused the hang. In such a case, a reload normally
clears the problem. "

How do I check for the Events?

Thanks,
Scott<-

"www.BradReese.Com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi Scott,
>
> You may wish to investigate Cisco PIX Hardware Troubleshooting:
>
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...80094fd9.shtml
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Brad Reese
> BradReese.Com - Cisco Repair
> http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-big-iron-repair.htm
> 1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
> Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
> USA & Canada: 877-549-2680
> International: 828-277-7272
> Fax: 775-254-3558
> AIM: R2MGrant
> BradReese.Com - Cisco Power Supply Headquarters
> http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-power...-inventory.htm

Scott Townsend

This has happened at its Prior Location and now its new home. Both on APC
SmartUPS backups. So I dont think it would be the Power Cord or the UPS.

It does have power, well unless the Network light is like some of the other
NIC lights that will be on even if the unit is off.

Since I cant get the Connection working (Cant reach the Internet, but can
reach the Remote side VPN) I'll pull the plug and see what happens.

news38xg.226163$Mn5.202904@pd7tw3no...
> In article <di7xg.72419$(E-Mail Removed) >,
> Scott Townsend <scott-i@.-N0-SPAMplease.enm.com> wrote:
>>Yes, If I connect a Terminal to the Console Port, I do not get anything,
>>pressing return several times does not seem to do anything.

>>Turning off the power switch, then turning it back on I am able to see the
>>Bootup sequence, etc on the console.

> Hmmmm... the only thing that comes to mind right at the moment is
> that if you had a loose power cord connector, then the physical push on
> the on/off switch just might jiggle the connector into a better place.
> That's long odds, though, and that sort of daft problem is much more
> likely
> for a PIX 501.
>
> The only other thing that comes to mind at the moment is that when you
> powerfail, the power might come up very "dirty". Is the PIX 515 connected
> to any kind of power cleaner (e.g., power conditioner or UPS that is
> at least "single inversion"? (not cheapo UPS's -- those things put line
> power through untouched unless power is lost.)

Scott Townsend

A few Pulls of the Plug could not simulate the failure.

I think in All cases, the UPS had lost power, then its batteries were
drained. Could the UPS have sent it something dirty when the batteries
Died?

The Power Light is OFF when this 'Hang' happens. A Flip of the power switch
is all that it takes to restore it back to normal.

Thanks,
Scott<-

"Walter Roberson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news38xg.226163$Mn5.202904@pd7tw3no...
> In article <di7xg.72419$(E-Mail Removed) >,
> Scott Townsend <scott-i@.-N0-SPAMplease.enm.com> wrote:
>>Yes, If I connect a Terminal to the Console Port, I do not get anything,
>>pressing return several times does not seem to do anything.

>>Turning off the power switch, then turning it back on I am able to see the
>>Bootup sequence, etc on the console.

> Hmmmm... the only thing that comes to mind right at the moment is
> that if you had a loose power cord connector, then the physical push on
> the on/off switch just might jiggle the connector into a better place.
> That's long odds, though, and that sort of daft problem is much more
> likely
> for a PIX 501.
>
> The only other thing that comes to mind at the moment is that when you
> powerfail, the power might come up very "dirty". Is the PIX 515 connected
> to any kind of power cleaner (e.g., power conditioner or UPS that is
> at least "single inversion"? (not cheapo UPS's -- those things put line
> power through untouched unless power is lost.)

Walter Roberson

In article <Ah8xg.11662$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
Scott Townsend <scott-i@.-N0-SPAMplease.enm.com> wrote:
>A few Pulls of the Plug could not simulate the failure.

>I think in All cases, the UPS had lost power, then its batteries were
>drained. Could the UPS have sent it something dirty when the batteries
>Died?

Possibly, though I would have expected the brands you mentioned to
be better built than to have such an obvious problem.

When a UPS is coming back up from dead battery, it just might
deliver undervoltage for a period, especially a single-inversion
UPS (as those effectively use the line to power the battery and
power the outputs from the battery.)

Lutz Donnerhacke

* Scott Townsend wrote:
> When we have a power failure our PIX 515 (see below for specs and versions)
> does not recover. When power is restored. it just has a flashing network
> light. Power and ACT are both out. Doing a power cycle from the switch
> seems to make it recover. The unit had been running since June 21st and
> Sunday the power went out.

I had an old PIX motherboard with a similar "feature". I suspect a broken
condensator on the board.