Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > google

google

Michael Sgier

Hi
why is the format of the google add on the left side wrong. it should
be 120*90 and be a linkblock with 5 links. But it takes the format of
above 125*125.
http://shop.sgier.com
Thanks
Michael

jojo

Michael Sgier wrote:
> Hi
> why is the format of the google add on the left side wrong. it should
> be 120*90 and be a linkblock with 5 links. But it takes the format of
> above 125*125.
> http://shop.sgier.com
> Thanks
> Michael

Just a hint: try to reformulate your question, so anybody can understand
it. Choose a subject more specific than just "google". Try to use
correct English grammar and spelling, write full sentences. Maybe that
will improve the number of people which do not just ignore your post...

Michael Sgier

I probably should add that theres above this google add another one
embedded in JS (only visible with IE) and i suppose its getting the
format from there?
Look at the source and maybe you can help? Thanks
Michael
PS: My mother tongue is german...

Els

Michael Sgier wrote:

> Hi
> why is the format of the google add on the left side wrong. it should
> be 120*90 and be a linkblock with 5 links. But it takes the format of
> above 125*125.
> http://shop.sgier.com

<iframe name="google_ads_frame"
src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/ads?client=ca-pub-8189704777307305&amp;dt=1153754307125&amp;lmt=1153 754306&amp;format=125x125&amp;output=html&amp;url= http%3A%2F%2Fshop.sgier.com%2F&amp;cc=100&amp;u_h= 1024&amp;u_w=1280&amp;u_ah=994&amp;u_aw=981&amp;u_ cd=32&amp;u_tz=120&amp;u_his=1&amp;u_java=true&amp ;u_nplug=24&amp;u_nmime=99"
marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" vspace="0" hspace="0"
allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0" height="125" scrolling="no"
width="125">

Looks like the size is in the iframe.
Did you write that code, or did Google provide it?

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

Now playing: Camel - Down on the Farm

jojo

Michael Sgier wrote:

> I probably should add that theres above this google add another one
> embedded in JS (only visible with IE) and i suppose its getting the
> format from there?

Might help.

> Look at the source and maybe you can help? Thanks

Maybe.

> Michael
> PS: My mother tongue is german...

And so is mine...

rwap

jojo wrote:
> Michael Sgier wrote:
>
> > I probably should add that theres above this google add another one
> > embedded in JS (only visible with IE) and i suppose its getting the
> > format from there?

> Might help.
>
> > Look at the source and maybe you can help? Thanks

> Maybe.
>
> > Michael
> > PS: My mother tongue is german...

> And so is mine...

Yes, the problem lies in the size definition in the frame - Google
Adsense would not have provided this for a 120x90 advert so you must
have copied it from somewhere else. However, I only see 3 Google ads
on both Internet Explorer and Opera - which one is wrong as they all
appear fine (there is one on each side and one at the bottom).

On another note - the shadow for your title is too bold - it is hard to
actually read the name of the site. The white links in the grey boxes
(post news) are also very hard to read.

Also, why the popup to say that it is not compatible with Internet
Explorer - the front page at least, seems to display the same on IE as
under Opera (except for a minor thing with the 4th item in post news
which displays the top of a line of text).

Oh maybe it is when you enter the shop - that comes out completely
different in IE from the front page - plain black text on white paper
in a separate window. It doesn't even open under Opera v9 here.

Rich
www.internetbusinessangels.com

Michael Sgier

Hi Els
where should that code be? I can't find it on my page...
http://shop.sgier.com/
The left Advertisement Box is 125*125 but
should be 120*90 as a linkBox.
Thanks
Michael

Michael Sgier

Hi Rich
The left Advertisement Box is 125*125 but
should be 120*90 as a linkBox.
The code should be originally copied as from google.
IE should be compatible but as a linux site i think i can have
that and maybe someone clicks on the add...Need to try Opera
then.
Thanks
Michael

Els

Michael Sgier wrote:

> Hi Els
> where should that code be? I can't find it on my page...
> http://shop.sgier.com/
> The left Advertisement Box is 125*125 but
> should be 120*90 as a linkBox.

That's weird - if I just do a view source, and do a search for 125,
there is piece of Google JavaScript that states 125 height and width.
It's inside the first bit of google script, line nr. 138-140.
But there is no iframe.

However, if I just look at the page and go to the block that says
"Advertisement", and select that entire block (with the Google ad in
it), and then right click and do a view selection source (in Firefox),
I get a DOM-source of selection, which clearly shows an iframe.
I'd say something in your JavaScript somewhere generates that iframe,
and it's 125x125 px, just like the Google ad.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

Now playing: Caravan - Asforteri

jojo

rwap wrote:

>>> I probably should add that theres above this google add another one
>>> embedded in JS (only visible with IE) and i suppose its getting the
>>> format from there?

<snip>

> Yes, the problem lies in the size definition in the frame - Google
> Adsense would not have provided this for a 120x90 advert so you must
> have copied it from somewhere else. However, I only see 3 Google ads
> on both Internet Explorer and Opera - which one is wrong as they all
> appear fine (there is one on each side and one at the bottom).

I guess the one at the right - it's the only one which seems to be
square (125*125).

> On another note - the shadow for your title is too bold - it is hard to
> actually read the name of the site. The white links in the grey boxes
> (post news) are also very hard to read.

ACKM

> Also, why the popup to say that it is not compatible with Internet
> Explorer - the front page at least, seems to display the same on IE as
> under Opera (except for a minor thing with the 4th item in post news
> which displays the top of a line of text).

Just a question: who pays money for spreading FF? Not that I don't like
the idea of suggesting the user to use FF, but the reasons why someone
should use it are - let's say a bit strange.

|| - Firefox blocks pop-up windows.

IE can do this, too (Google toolbar for example). You just have to know how.

|| - It's more secure against viruses and spyware.

OK, right in this point.

|| - It keeps Microsoft from controlling the future of the internet.

Do you really believe that anybody really can /control/ the internet?
Sounds like a bit of propaganda.

|| - It's better for web designers and developers.

And almost everybody who visit your site is web designer? I guess most
web designers already use FF or Opera (or any other browser, but no IE).

|| - Features like tabbed browsing make reading webpages easier

Tabs improve readability? Yes, they are a good invention and might make
surfing easier, but the readability?

> Oh maybe it is when you enter the shop - that comes out completely
> different in IE from the front page - plain black text on white paper
> in a separate window.

Its plain black text in FF, too.

>It doesn't even open under Opera v9 here.

Use Firefox than:
|| -Firefox blocks pop-up windows.
|| - It's more secure against viruses and spyware.
|| - It keeps Microsoft from controlling the future of the internet.
|| - It's better for web designers and developers.
|| - Features like tabbed browsing make reading webpages easier
-seems to be the only browser which can view the site properly

<g>

BTW: it's not a good idea to code a website only for a single browser
(FF). Still IE is the most used browser in the world (awful enough), so
your site should be usable with it. And Opera, too, is used by many
people, so make your site work with it. At least this three browsers
should be able to open and display your site. And I suppose almost all
other browser can view it correct if these three can.