Velocity Reviews > General Computer Discussion > Case Modding > PSU Load tester

PSU Load tester

unholy unholy is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia

Some of u might know i have been building a PSU Load tester.

This post is just the taste of the whole article

The stuff i have
Now to do this u are going to need some spare parts, eg old psu's with modular connectors and stuff like that.

these pictures are of the mod currently

Please post comments
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_1.jpg (115.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg img_2.jpg (116.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg img_3.jpg (118.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg img_4.jpg (115.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg img_5.jpg (70.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg img_6.jpg (101.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg img_7.jpg (103.5 KB, 30 views)

luckydig1t luckydig1t is offline
Junior Member

that's cool! I have never even heard of a psu load tester, but it makes perfect sense! where did you get the schematic?... or are you just using your super human skillbilities?

unholy unholy is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia

just my super human skillz, and some help from teh master, big al

unholy unholy is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia

Large update... a parcel arrived today on a nice day like friday!

although i had work so i was a little ****ed.

i got ...:
1x 6-50A shunt (50mV)
100x 120ohm 5watt wire wound resistors
20x 10ohm 5watt wire wound resistors
20x 3.3ohm 5watt wire wound resistors
5x 100amp terminal blocks.. yes thats right 100amp per joint!

and this i what it looks like

http://unholystudios.com/pictures/psutester/1.jpg
http://unholystudios.com/pictures/psutester/2.jpg
http://unholystudios.com/pictures/psutester/3.jpg
http://unholystudios.com/pictures/psutester/4.jpg
http://unholystudios.com/pictures/psutester/5.jpg

Last edited by unholy; 10-03-2006 at 04:27 PM..

unholy unholy is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia

little bit of an update. finished mounting all 140 resistors. now to wire this thingy up

http://unholystudios.com/pictures/psutester/6.jpg
http://unholystudios.com/pictures/psutester/7.jpg
http://unholystudios.com/pictures/psutester/8.jpg
http://unholystudios.com/pictures/psutester/9.jpg
http://unholystudios.com/pictures/psutester/10.jpg
http://unholystudios.com/pictures/psutester/11.jpg
http://unholystudios.com/pictures/psutester/12.jpg

If you want to know how i mount 2 Per Terminal. I simpally Doubled them up and twisted the wires with Pliers but only near the end so the actual Resist is not moved from its place . Placed it in the terminal block and screwed it down...

I will be releasing a How to when i have completed the working model

Last edited by unholy; 10-03-2006 at 04:25 PM..

unholy unholy is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia

Here is a diagram for the general idea of the Load tester.

http://unholystudios.com/pictures/ps...estdiagram.png

The diagram shows how i was orginally going to make the Tester, but due to the price of Switchs i am unable to do it this way 5 bucks AU a switch is quite expensive when ya need 1 million

bigal bigal is offline
Senior Member
bigal's Avatar
Location: Northern Virginia, USA

Looking good Unholy. You'll be an electrical engineer before you know it.

unholy unholy is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia

lol that sorta thing requires like a - OP to get into lol

at the moment i am just cutting cabling to loop up all the resistors

mpilchfamily mpilchfamily is offline
Junior Member

Was this project ever completed. I know this thread is well over a year old but I'm interested in this idea. Don't know why you went with so many resistors when you could have focused on more exacting resistors. You could have used only 7 resistors and 7 switches to give you between 1A and 31A on the +12v rail. Don't know what your total cost of everything is but the one I'm working on will be about $400 US. Here are my plans.

http://www.xcpus.com/forums/mods/458...-test-bed.html

I do not have a degree of any kind and only minimal electronics knowledge but its not hard to figure out an simple Parallel circuit. Though it took a while to get all the math down to figure out the best resistors for the job. Not to mention the hours of searching for the bes prices among other complications. But you can read all about it in the link above. But i would be interested to know how and if this one worked out for you. Personally i would be worried about the heat produced from the whole thing and how it would affect those screw down connectors.

mpilchfamily mpilchfamily is offline
Junior Member

I'm in the prosses of building a dummy load of my own and was wondering how this one turned out. Seams as though the job was never completed here.