Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > How to remove the dust plug from swtich 2950

How to remove the dust plug from swtich 2950

KP C

From the Installation Guide, Cisco said you need to remove the dust
plug before you connect with a fiber-optic cable. I just wonder what
a dust plug is on the switch 2950 because I can't see there is one on
the SX port.

Can somebody tell me where the dust plug is and how to remove it?

Thanks a lot.
Dick

chris@nospam.com

On 27 Oct 2004 21:06:40 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (KP C) wrote:

>From the Installation Guide, Cisco said you need to remove the dust
>plug before you connect with a fiber-optic cable. I just wonder what
>a dust plug is on the switch 2950 because I can't see there is one on
>the SX port.
>
>Can somebody tell me where the dust plug is and how to remove it?
>
>Thanks a lot.
>Dick

It's pretty obvious. It's a rubber or plastic plug that fits in the
hole in the GBIC where you'd want to stick the fiber to prevent dust
from getting in there.

-Chris

Marc Russell

If you don't see one, then there isn't one. A dust plug is usually installed
in an unsed fiber port to keep dust out so that it doesn't interfere with
the optics.

Marc Russell
Network Learning, Inc.
www.ccbootcamp.com (Cisco Training)

"KP C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> From the Installation Guide, Cisco said you need to remove the dust
> plug before you connect with a fiber-optic cable. I just wonder what
> a dust plug is on the switch 2950 because I can't see there is one on
> the SX port.
>
> Can somebody tell me where the dust plug is and how to remove it?
>
> Thanks a lot.
> Dick

Ben

It's just a little plastic piece...if your SX cable fits in the port it must
be missing.