Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless network Win XP Pro - Win2k Pro

Wireless network Win XP Pro - Win2k Pro

=?Utf-8?B?R3V5?=

I have a D Link DI-524 wireless router connected to my cable modem. The
network consists of a laser printer with printer server, wired to the router,
a laptop with Win XP Pro and build in WLAN adapter, and a desktop running
Win2k Pro, with Belkin DWL-G122 adapter.
All devices have the same workgroup set, NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled,
Firewalls are turned off, specific folders and external drives are made
"shared". The win2k desktop can access the winxp shared folders, the win xp
laptop can see the win2k desktop, but not the shared components, and I also
get a timeout when sending a ping to the desktop.
I added one line to the HOSTS file. For desktop
IP_laptop laptopname
and for the desktop
IP_desktop desktopname
But, this did not change anything.

Any help of how to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated

Greg Lindsay [MSFT]

I would say that if you cannot ping the desktop, then there is some kind of
firewall in place. Keep in mind that in order to get from the laptop to the
desktop, you go through the wireless router. So, you should check here for
a firewall also.

Good luck!

--
Greg Lindsay [MSFT]

no rights.

"Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a D Link DI-524 wireless router connected to my cable modem. The
> network consists of a laser printer with printer server, wired to the
> router,
> a laptop with Win XP Pro and build in WLAN adapter, and a desktop running
> Win2k Pro, with Belkin DWL-G122 adapter.
> All devices have the same workgroup set, NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled,
> Firewalls are turned off, specific folders and external drives are made
> "shared". The win2k desktop can access the winxp shared folders, the win
> xp
> laptop can see the win2k desktop, but not the shared components, and I
> also
> get a timeout when sending a ping to the desktop.
> I added one line to the HOSTS file. For desktop
> IP_laptop laptopname
> and for the desktop
> IP_desktop desktopname
> But, this did not change anything.
>
> Any help of how to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated

=?Utf-8?B?R3V5?=

Thank you Greg for your advice, but the firewall on the wireless router is
also turned off. And, I may be wrong, but I think that if the firewall would
be the reason, then access to the laptop would also be denied.
I did make one mistake in my posting. In the HOSTS file for the laptop I added
IP_desktop desktopname
and for the desktop
IP_laptop laptopname

Could there be any other reason, or does some utility exist that would allow
me to analyse and debug the network in detail?

Thanks,
Guy

"Greg Lindsay [MSFT]" wrote:

> I would say that if you cannot ping the desktop, then there is some kind of
> firewall in place. Keep in mind that in order to get from the laptop to the
> desktop, you go through the wireless router. So, you should check here for
> a firewall also.
>
> Good luck!
>
> --
> Greg Lindsay [MSFT]
> (E-Mail Removed)
>
> Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
> no rights.
>
> "Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have a D Link DI-524 wireless router connected to my cable modem. The
> > network consists of a laser printer with printer server, wired to the
> > router,
> > a laptop with Win XP Pro and build in WLAN adapter, and a desktop running
> > Win2k Pro, with Belkin DWL-G122 adapter.
> > All devices have the same workgroup set, NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled,
> > Firewalls are turned off, specific folders and external drives are made
> > "shared". The win2k desktop can access the winxp shared folders, the win
> > xp
> > laptop can see the win2k desktop, but not the shared components, and I
> > also
> > get a timeout when sending a ping to the desktop.
> > I added one line to the HOSTS file. For desktop
> > IP_laptop laptopname
> > and for the desktop
> > IP_desktop desktopname
> > But, this did not change anything.
> >
> > Any help of how to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated

Greg Lindsay [MSFT]

It's quite common for a firewall to only block traffic originating from
other hosts, so it doesn't necessarily mean anything that you can access the
laptop from the desktop. The desktop can have an active firewall that
allows it to see other machines, but prevents them from seeing it. This
might not be the "windows firewall", but some other software that is
filtering incoming traffic to your desktop.

There are several utilities will probably help you to troubleshoot this. Do
a search for network scanning tool and you'll find a lot of things that can
pinpoint a filtered (firewalled) IP address on your network. Be careful
using these tools on any IP addresses that don't belong to you, because this
is often considered a violation of your ISP's EULA.

--
Greg Lindsay [MSFT]
(E-Mail Removed)

no rights.

"Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thank you Greg for your advice, but the firewall on the wireless router is
> also turned off. And, I may be wrong, but I think that if the firewall
> would
> be the reason, then access to the laptop would also be denied.
> I did make one mistake in my posting. In the HOSTS file for the laptop I
> added
> IP_desktop desktopname
> and for the desktop
> IP_laptop laptopname
>
> Could there be any other reason, or does some utility exist that would
> allow
> me to analyse and debug the network in detail?
>
> Thanks,
> Guy
>
> "Greg Lindsay [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> I would say that if you cannot ping the desktop, then there is some kind
>> of
>> firewall in place. Keep in mind that in order to get from the laptop to
>> the
>> desktop, you go through the wireless router. So, you should check here
>> for
>> a firewall also.
>>
>> Good luck!
>>
>> --
>> Greg Lindsay [MSFT]
>> (E-Mail Removed)
>>
>> Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
>> confers
>> no rights.
>>
>> "Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I have a D Link DI-524 wireless router connected to my cable modem. The
>> > network consists of a laser printer with printer server, wired to the
>> > router,
>> > a laptop with Win XP Pro and build in WLAN adapter, and a desktop
>> > running
>> > Win2k Pro, with Belkin DWL-G122 adapter.
>> > All devices have the same workgroup set, NetBIOS over TCP/IP is
>> > enabled,
>> > Firewalls are turned off, specific folders and external drives are made
>> > "shared". The win2k desktop can access the winxp shared folders, the
>> > win
>> > xp
>> > laptop can see the win2k desktop, but not the shared components, and I
>> > also
>> > get a timeout when sending a ping to the desktop.
>> > I added one line to the HOSTS file. For desktop
>> > IP_laptop laptopname
>> > and for the desktop
>> > IP_desktop desktopname
>> > But, this did not change anything.
>> >
>> > Any help of how to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated

=?Utf-8?B?R3V5?=

Dear Greg,

I figured out the problem. and I assume is really a win2k issue.
When trying to get the properties of the desktop from the win xp machine, I
was told that I did not have access rights, which indeed sounded like a
firewall issue. But as the firewalls were all disabled, I had a feeling it
must be something else.
I then simply added the win xp user on the win 2k machine to "users", and
.... problem is solved.

"Greg Lindsay [MSFT]" wrote:

> It's quite common for a firewall to only block traffic originating from
> other hosts, so it doesn't necessarily mean anything that you can access the
> laptop from the desktop. The desktop can have an active firewall that
> allows it to see other machines, but prevents them from seeing it. This
> might not be the "windows firewall", but some other software that is
> filtering incoming traffic to your desktop.
>
> There are several utilities will probably help you to troubleshoot this. Do
> a search for network scanning tool and you'll find a lot of things that can
> pinpoint a filtered (firewalled) IP address on your network. Be careful
> using these tools on any IP addresses that don't belong to you, because this
> is often considered a violation of your ISP's EULA.
>
> --
> Greg Lindsay [MSFT]
> (E-Mail Removed)
>
> Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
> no rights.
>
> "Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thank you Greg for your advice, but the firewall on the wireless router is
> > also turned off. And, I may be wrong, but I think that if the firewall
> > would
> > be the reason, then access to the laptop would also be denied.
> > I did make one mistake in my posting. In the HOSTS file for the laptop I
> > added
> > IP_desktop desktopname
> > and for the desktop
> > IP_laptop laptopname
> >
> > Could there be any other reason, or does some utility exist that would
> > allow
> > me to analyse and debug the network in detail?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Guy
> >
> > "Greg Lindsay [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> I would say that if you cannot ping the desktop, then there is some kind
> >> of
> >> firewall in place. Keep in mind that in order to get from the laptop to
> >> the
> >> desktop, you go through the wireless router. So, you should check here
> >> for
> >> a firewall also.
> >>
> >> Good luck!
> >>
> >> --
> >> Greg Lindsay [MSFT]
> >> (E-Mail Removed)
> >>
> >> Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
> >> confers
> >> no rights.
> >>
> >> "Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Greg Lindsay [MSFT]

I'm glad you solved the problem, but I'm a little confused about why that
would prevent you from pinging the desktop.

Congratulations though.

--
Greg Lindsay [MSFT]
(E-Mail Removed)

no rights.

"Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear Greg,
>
> I figured out the problem. and I assume is really a win2k issue.
> When trying to get the properties of the desktop from the win xp machine,
> was told that I did not have access rights, which indeed sounded like a
> firewall issue. But as the firewalls were all disabled, I had a feeling it
> must be something else.
> I then simply added the win xp user on the win 2k machine to "users", and
> ... problem is solved.
>
> "Greg Lindsay [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> It's quite common for a firewall to only block traffic originating from
>> other hosts, so it doesn't necessarily mean anything that you can access
>> the
>> laptop from the desktop. The desktop can have an active firewall that
>> allows it to see other machines, but prevents them from seeing it. This
>> might not be the "windows firewall", but some other software that is
>> filtering incoming traffic to your desktop.
>>
>> There are several utilities will probably help you to troubleshoot this.
>> Do
>> a search for network scanning tool and you'll find a lot of things that
>> can
>> pinpoint a filtered (firewalled) IP address on your network. Be careful
>> using these tools on any IP addresses that don't belong to you, because
>> this
>> is often considered a violation of your ISP's EULA.
>>
>> --
>> Greg Lindsay [MSFT]
>> (E-Mail Removed)
>>
>> Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
>> confers
>> no rights.
>>
>> "Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Thank you Greg for your advice, but the firewall on the wireless router
>> > is
>> > also turned off. And, I may be wrong, but I think that if the firewall
>> > would
>> > be the reason, then access to the laptop would also be denied.
>> > I did make one mistake in my posting. In the HOSTS file for the laptop
>> > added
>> > IP_desktop desktopname
>> > and for the desktop
>> > IP_laptop laptopname
>> >
>> > Could there be any other reason, or does some utility exist that would
>> > allow
>> > me to analyse and debug the network in detail?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Guy

=?Utf-8?B?R3V5?=

Hello Greg,

I need gto bother you again. Last weekend, I upgraded my win2k Pro desktop
to win xp pro, hoping that networking would then be better.
Big surprise when I now have the same problem again. From the laptop, I can
access the desktop, but from the desktop, I can not even ping the laptop. If
however I select top show the computers in the workgroup, then the 2 PCs are
listed. I can however not check the properties of the laptop. I get a message
"laptop_name" not found on this network.
How do I correct this? All firewalls are turned off.

Thank you very much for the help